Skizzer’s thread: Honda Aerodeck repairs

Skizzer

On 3/24/2021 at 12:06 PM, spartacus said:

Defo interested in a 'how to' vid.

So you could potentially make one of those trippy films where you can watch on your phone and as you move and tilt, so does the picture? I had vaguely wondered how that works.

It does make the vid look really professional. I'm going to go over the back catalogue this evening!

+1 for a how to vid!

The promised Elite review is now live:

It’s fairly short, I don’t tend to go into all the little quirks of the interior and stuff. I have in mind to do back to back comparisons with its potential contemporary competitors at some point, which might focus more on the details of room, comfort and equipment.

Also, you don’t buy a Lotus for the ashtrays.

Somewhere between about 9 and 12 minutes per film feels about right to me, otherwise I get pretty tired of myself. Thoughts welcome, as ever.

• Skizzer changed the title to Skizzer’s GrandThriftAuto: Lotus Elite review video
50 minutes ago, Skizzer said:

It’s fairly short, I don’t tend to go into all the little quirks of the interior and stuff. I have in mind to do back to back comparisons with its potential contemporary competitors at some point, which might focus more on the details of room, comfort and equipment.

Somewhere between about 9 and 12 minutes per film feels about right to me, otherwise I get pretty tired of myself. Thoughts welcome, as ever.

I enjoyed that. It gave a feel for what the car is like to drive and had a few pertinent facts thrown in. I also liked the external drive by and in motion camera work.

The only Lotus I've been in (haven't ever driven one) was an Excel. Although in good general condition, it felt a bit kit car-ish, an impression made stronger by the poor interior trim design and the fact that surface coverings were peeling off. It's performance nevertheless suited its sporty heritage.

4 minutes ago, RayMK said:

I enjoyed that. It gave a feel for what the car is like to drive and had a few pertinent facts thrown in. I also liked the external drive by and in motion camera work.

The only Lotus I've been in (haven't ever driven one) was an Excel. Although in good general condition, it felt a bit kit car-ish, an impression made stronger by the poor interior trim design and the fact that surface coverings were peeling off. It's performance nevertheless suited its sporty heritage.

Thanks a lot, glad you enjoyed it.

I think that's pretty fair comment - the interiors are somewhere between kit car and production car, especially once they're a bit lived-in.  Mine has been chopped about a bit with random extra switches and knobs nailed on around the dash, which really doesn't help. 

Of course, there's more time to notice such things as a passenger.  Also while waiting for Green Flag. 

1 hour ago, Skizzer said:

I enjoyed it throughly! :)

although the backbone chassis comments gave me a good laugh, Like an Invacar Mk12 I thought (Blue, made of fibre glass back bone chassis etc!), and then in the previous video when you said it bends if you jack it up wrong, so about as much structural rigidity as one then as well? LOL

so much for "2 Axel Rigid Body" :mrgreen:

my silly invacar comments aside, keep up the good work :) 

1 hour ago, Skizzer said:

The promised Elite review is now live:

😎😎😎

1 hour ago, LightBulbFun said:

I enjoyed it throughly! :)

although the backbone chassis comments gave me a good laugh, Like an Invacar Mk12 I thought (Blue, made of fibre glass back bone chassis etc!), and then in the previous video when you said it bends if you jack it up wrong, so about as much structural rigidity as one then as well? LOL

so much for "2 Axel Rigid Body" :mrgreen:

my silly invacar comments aside, keep up the good work :) 

🤦🏼‍♂️

It’s more that the shell cracks if you jack it up on the GRP body; the steel chassis will dent (and therefore weaken) if you jack it up with the weight on one unreinforced point on a beam, like anything else.  

They are actually very rigid cars, structurally 😊

• Skizzer changed the title to Skizzer’s GrandThriftAuto update thread

I liked it :-) Re the length - I tend to skip past videos longer than 10 minutes, on the basis that I shouldn't be spending longer than that watching YouTube when there' stuff to be done. Although I'll then probably go on to watch three 10 minute videos... :roll:

I have to ask though, how did you manage the car-mounted camera pan whilst driving?

Hi @Skizzer, am loving the effort you're putting into your videos and I'd agree with you and others, that c.10 minute videos are a good length. I quite enjoy the longer videos the likes of Vice Grip Garage but from what I can gather, it's rather more than a side line hobby for him! Plus, one 20 minute video is only half as many 10 minute videos, if you catch my drift; regular uploads will be welcomed by subscribers!

I also like that you're getting some stock footage involved, which works well with your home recorded voiceover and makes things nice and concise/gets rid of ums and aaahs, etc. although naturally, adding these layers will take more effort in getting a video completed. I also like that you're experimenting with rigs and that 360 degree doohicky works really well!

Did someone mention you'd added some stop motion to a video? I've not seen that one yet but hope it's not too time consuming for you. The guy who runs the Soup Motoring channel did a behind the scenes video of how he made his videos and although I highly admired the efforts, it was crushingly slow progress and he admitted as much, yet he'd set the bar high, so had to carry on, I guess.

Anyway, a big thumbs up from me for what it's worth! And I can't wait for a Royale vid too - but don't rush, or you'll run out of cars to cover and will have to start buying more....

6 hours ago, Jon said:

Hi @Skizzer, am loving the effort you're putting into your videos and I'd agree with you and others, that c.10 minute videos are a good length. I quite enjoy the longer videos the likes of Vice Grip Garage but from what I can gather, it's rather more than a side line hobby for him! Plus, one 20 minute video is only half as many 10 minute videos, if you catch my drift; regular uploads will be welcomed by subscribers!

I also like that you're getting some stock footage involved, which works well with your home recorded voiceover and makes things nice and concise/gets rid of ums and aaahs, etc. although naturally, adding these layers will take more effort in getting a video completed. I also like that you're experimenting with rigs and that 360 degree doohicky works really well!

Did someone mention you'd added some stop motion to a video? I've not seen that one yet but hope it's not too time consuming for you. The guy who runs the Soup Motoring channel did a behind the scenes video of how he made his videos and although I highly admired the efforts, it was crushingly slow progress and he admitted as much, yet he'd set the bar high, so had to carry on, I guess.

Anyway, a big thumbs up from me for what it's worth! And I can't wait for a Royale vid too - but don't rush, or you'll run out of cars to cover and will have to start buying more....

Thanks Jon, that’s very kind feedback. I love the magical feel of stop motion (and am a big fan of George at Soup) but only use it sparingly, when it’s convenient to set up on the workbench or somewhere - I used it when I rebuilt the Lotus fuel pump.

The Royale will get its turn before long — it still has running issues at the moment. I now suspect yet another fuel supply problem, and half my channel is about those already.

7 hours ago, mat_the_cat said:

I have to ask though, how did you manage the car-mounted camera pan whilst driving?

Pulleys, magnets and skyhooks 😉

Actually some very cunning hardware and software from China — I’m planning a ‘how I do it’ film next weekend.

• Skizzer changed the title to Skizzer’s shedlife thread

I’m off to London tomorrow for work reasons - basically clearing out my former London life as I’ve left my job to return to freelancing and generally living by my limited wits. This should mean a bit more time for cars, and we’ll have to see how fast I run out of money. 

I’m very excited as I also plan to sneak in a socially distanced outdoor visit to @RobT and the mk1 Espace, which we bought last year and I’ve never seen in person. In fact I’ve never even sat in a mk1 Espace before.

Very excited.

In other fleet news, the Lotus has a minor coolant leak and an even more minor fuel leak, which will get sorted next week I hope.

I have finally organised a solution to the lost key for the BMW E30, which should involve fitting a new steering column ignition lock thingy next week and then a full set of new locks.

Hopefully the car still works, although the battery is very dead in spite of having been left disconnected. Hmph.

As you can sort of see, the stationary  BMW is currently blocking the shed doorway...

C91FAA41-8988-4C09-96AE-D4D47FCAFC9C.thumb.jpeg.cdc1fda61f2b3b311321328f355ae462.jpeg

...so once it’s mobile again the Vauxhall 2300S (Victor) and the SD1 can come back into play, which will be lovely.

And then the Gamma, languishing at the back of that shed in disgrace: it’s now added a dead starter motor to its list of crimes and misdemeanours.

But I’m getting ahead of myself: Espace time first. Did I mention I’m excited?

On 4/15/2021 at 9:21 PM, Skizzer said:

I’m very excited as I also plan to sneak in a socially distanced outdoor visit to @RobT and the mk1 Espace, which we bought last year and I’ve never seen in person. In fact I’ve never even sat in a mk1 Espace before.

Very excited.

So this did indeed happen at the weekend, and here’s the proof.

The Espace is driving really well thanks to @RobT’s attentions, and is a really most excellent device, as you can tell from my expression.

Plans to do reviews of the Morris 1300 and Metro didn’t pan out, partly due to car sharing not being allowed yet and partly due to technical issues with the filming kit. They make brief appearances here though and I’ll return soon to do a proper job. I can report that both are gorgeous cars, in different ways.

E478237D-43FC-4DE8-8CF6-A38635251631.thumb.jpeg.240a713fd8372ff4b18ae8afb220bdc6.jpeg

I have a day off tomorrow, and should have everything I need to make the E30 mobile again. Hoping that goes well.

6 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Do you know, I never knew the Mk1 Espace had Trafic headlights.  Every day is a schoolday.

Here is my old one (excuse the Photofuckit logo).

Espace.JPG.b19395f338e2e48a2feacf55315f3153.JPG

I didn’t realise that either until I read somewhere that they were Chrysler Alpine, which they fairly clearly aren’t.

At the risk of blowing your mind  — the taillights are from the Trafic too. It’s amazing how not-noticeable it is, both front and back.

I’d forgotten you’d had one! But I’m not surprised, it’s very you (that’s a good thing btw 😉).

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2021 at 10:54 AM, spartacus said:

That's fab! Genuinely like an episode of Top Gear from all those years ago, possibly better production!

How do you get the camera to move, first looking at you then panning round to look out of the windscreen? Or do you just have a small, willing, quiet helper?

On 4/5/2021 at 11:30 PM, mat_the_cat said:

Gents, the secret of the tiny cameraman is revealed.

Sitrep.

BMW E30: 

• I've changed the E30 ignition lock (which will be the next GrandThriftAuto film, on Thursday at 8pm)..

0A285576-7995-4ED1-9FF5-54F8ED543C57.thumb.jpeg.65cc9e7c78d4efcad6a21ac483b224f3.jpeg

• ...but will it start?  You can probably guess.  Suspect yet another fuel pump issue, but further investigation needed. 
  • I still need to change all the other locks.  That shouldn't be hard as long as the door cards don't hold out on me.  I'm a bit sad about taking them off as they appear not to have been disturbed since leaving Munich, a benefit of having nice simple wind-up windows.
  • Incidentally E30s have weird tiny connectors on the spark plugs / HT leads so none of my spark testing gadgets will fit.  The lead set has a kind of harness/keeper arrangement and replacements cost £200 or something equally stupid, so we won't be doing that.

Lotus Elite:

• I've confirmed it has a coolant leak and traced it.  Unfortunately it's not an easy fix: the 907 engine has a join around the crankcase and coolant seems to be seeping out from there. You can see the coolant glistening in this photo, taken from below:
    74FA7B45-4212-4803-BFE4-124BB0071C64.thumb.jpeg.1555d8a5362018245bd2a7be6c4aa2a8.jpeg
  • There's also some minor weeping from the radiator, which looks a bit secondhand in general.  Both of these require the engine to come out.
  • While I've got the engine out, do I strip the whole car and get the shell repainted?  Then rewire it? 
  • How much if any of this should I do myself, given how many other cars I've got that need work?

Jaguar XJ-S:

• Came back from MOT and a few odd jobs running fine at first but then started coughing and hesitating under load.  Fuxake.  There's a whiff of petrol in the boot so I'm thinking ethanol has eaten the fuel pump on this one too.

FUCK OF WITH THE ETHANOL.  Why the fuck did governments decide it was a good idea to rip up thousands of acres of virgin forest around the globe to satisfy entirely artificial demand for a new cash crop that destroys the machines it fuels?

• Skizzer changed the title to Skizzer’s shedlife thread: sitrep
3 hours ago, MisterH said:

Looking good, maybe the E30 is just a little closer to liberating the rest of the shed...

Certainly a bit closer! Work and stuff are busier than I’d hoped but hopefully I’ll get it sorted in the next few days, then liberate the Victor and SD1 and finally the Gamma.

• 1 month later...

My current work project finished last week so I’m making use of some time to catch up with car and house jobs, plus a bit of filming.

The Elite seems to be running generally well and the coolant leak has calmed down, but is still under close observation.  I’m braving a slightly longer run, and there should be a video next week on how that goes. Here’s a preview pic.

1C47A788-187F-4738-AC1F-2FD5351D91C0.thumb.jpeg.fcdbf090fd812787fac111315500170f.jpeg

The Vauxhall 2300S is in good health and featured in my latest film, as you may have seen. The video seems to have gone down pretty well with a lot of views by my standards and some nice comments - who knew there was so much fondness for FE Victors out there?

Thanks to @dollywobbler for being a sport and letting me use his brand in the title, and to @Kiltox and @RoadworkUK for a helpful boost on Twitter.

The Victor-that’s-not-a-Victor needs some cosmetic work soon though - microblistering in the paint on the bonnet and wing has turned into tiny rust spots after a very damp winter, so they’ll need stripping, treating and professionally repainting.

The E30 320i is up and about but resisting various measures to even out its idling when warm.

Anyway, bypassing the air slide valve (no, me neither) has got it to the point where I think it might scrape through an MOT emissions test, so I’ll book it in and see what happens.

B41372B8-56AF-47A9-B3E5-D7718FEBCD22.thumb.jpeg.1ee7722e317199c3926daeb0e2556b19.jpeg

I’m also thinking about converting it to the later Motronic system. The current setup is clearly moronic so I was hoping I could just add a T, but apparently there’s a bit more to it.

Next up is putting a new fuel pump on the XJ-S, which should be pretty simple as it just sits in the boot, then the same on the Royale (Vauxhall not Bugatti, in case you're new here). After that it’ll be the SD1’s turn to get some love.

I was supposed to be off on a car-related day trip to England today but the weather is rubbish so we’ve postponed. Meanwhile, just for the record, it’s nice and sunny here in Wales. So nerrrrr.

It’s nice to feel I’m finally making some progress again.

• Skizzer changed the title to Skizzer’s shed thread: Lotus, Victor, E30 update
52 minutes ago, hairnet said:

BFO webers on the beemer obvs

moar on the italian please

The Italian is in the doghouse, the starter motor has packed in now.

Noted re Webers, that’s not the worst idea!