Skizzer’s thread: Honda Aerodeck repairs

Skizzer

14 minutes ago, Skizzer said:

This sums it up perfectly.  That’s exactly where I am.

May I use this as a strapline please?

I think they are prone to injection problems, but thankfully not this one — it’s a 2.8 carb.

Did junkman have another one? I remember him battling with the injection on a 2.8. I wondered if this was it and it has been moved over to carb.

13 minutes ago, cort16 said:

Did junkman have another one? I remember him battling with the injection on a 2.8. I wondered if this was it and it has been moved over to carb.

Junkman had a black 2.8 saloon Granny before he had this one. That was the one he had problems with the injection gubbins. I remember because I kept winding him up, my (this estate at the time) one was running well on its carb and I kept bugging him by suggesting to convert his to carb instead!

Thanks for the info re the lift - I've been looking for something like this for ages now and everything I've found has either been very expensive, too tall or with a too-low rated weight. I wanted something that will go in a double garage with about 12' headroom, a 2 poster is way too big, but there didn't seem to be anything that would just lift a car ~50cms or so I could slide under on a creeper. 

Slartibartfast has a set of Quickjacks which are amazing, but not cheap - this seems to come in about half what they cost and not lose much in terms of practicality.

I shall tap up the seller when we move and get a set ordered. Luckily on my relative modernz I'll be able to just set the bars to the max width and lift on the sills. As you say, I'll also have the benefit of being able to slide them in from the side as well

The lift looks alright for FWD or rear engined cars, but it'd annoy me that you loose access to the mid of the vehicle. I guess the main reason I'd get a lift is for engine/gearbox/diff/etc work on front engined RWD vehicles. I don't think one of those tilter lifts would work well for that. 

I like the look of the scissor lifts, but as you said, they aren't light at half a tonne!

13 minutes ago, anonymous user said:

I was sure you had another Jaguar, have you sold it, or am I mixing you up with John Prescott?

You’re right, I had a £600 Series 3 XJ6 but I got shot of it at the end of last year.  It needed lots of work and wasn’t the base car you’d choose to spend thousands on.  

Autoshite is a preference for a crap collection that is known as... 

SHEDLIFE! 

And pcp can be avoided if you take a journey straight to what is known as.. 

SHEDLIFE! 

Skizzers got loads of tat, he gets intimidated but the mot man,  they love a bit of it... 

SHEDLIFE! 

What's that chod lord driving? You should cut down on your petrol bill mate,  get some veg burners! 

ALL the shiters, so many shitters

They all drive ancient tat, ancient tat through their... Shedlife..... 

Know what I mean? 

I buy up what I want except old Volvos that get rudely snapped up by the Scotsmen.. 

SHEDLIFE! 

I get a train ticket, have a cup of tea and I think about counting the poos. 

SHEDLIFE! 

I drive an Audi, I sometimes drive a Lotus too, It gives me a sense of enormous foreboding.

Then I'm nervous for the rest of the trip. 

Sad in the knowledge I'm not in the AA

ALL the shitters,  so many shitters

They all drive ancient tat, 

Ancient tat through their, Shedlife... 

Got nothing to do with your leafsprung berk technique ya know.

18 minutes ago, loserone said:

Hey @Skizzer, how do you find the sheds themselves? I currently have an all wooden garage, but crinkly tin is appealing.

Originally via a chap I know from walking our dogs in the same park. He rented one, and got me put on a list for when another came up on the same site. Then I got another next door.

We all keep the location quite discreet, as various things live there you might not want any old scrote knowing about (not necessarily my stuff).

In other words — dumb luck and chatting to other car people.

The ex-council lock up I found online by googling garages in South Wales. The trailer lives at a caravan storage place and they also have indoor car space.

10 hours ago, loserone said:

?

Sorry, I meant what are they like.  E.g. warm, breezy, damp, dark, etc.

Oh!  Duh.

They get hot in the summer with the sun on the steel roof — I’ve measured 40C — but with all the doors open the airflow quickly cools them down enough to work in.  I don’t heat them in winter, a jumper under overalls/coat and a pair of nitrile gloves is fine.

The strip lighting is ok although I often need extra task lights for close work or under bonnets.

They have ventilation holes under the eaves all along the length where the corrugated roof sits on top of the side walls. The overhang stops rain getting in, but gives good airflow so the atmosphere inside isn’t damp even when rain seeps in under the door.

If you put a car away wet, it’s dry the next day. Tools don’t rust and mould doesn’t grow. 

So they aren’t like a high-end controlled environment, but they’ll do me.

• 3 weeks later...

Dydd Dewi Sant hapus i ti.  A quick St David’s Day update on the usual glacial progress at Skizzer HQ.

As mentioned in News24 a couple of weeks ago, the Honda Accord got its sills patched by my local garage and thus won itself an MOT.  

CB225B9A-44C1-42D8-B4E0-7065A4E5C57C.jpeg.937f01a6d9c2059ffb3dab64fe010430.jpeg

Then I drove it to London and back and admired its poise, comfort and 36mpg.

Because it had its battery disconnected while parked up, it needed a radio code to reinstate choonz and nooz.  Unfortunately, despite putting two of the online radio code websites to the test last week, and even corresponding with actual humans, no code for this model is to be had even for ready money.

Behold an ornamental OEM stereo:

A91E119F-8C94-4D1B-B02E-87277D4C53FB.thumb.jpeg.1ef574c07ddbd48bf8c963a8cc6626f6.jpeg

Unless anyone has a better idea, I will probably have someone replace the innards of the head unit with modern Blueteeth at some point.

Until then I shall just have to sing to myself and make up my own news, traffic and weather.

8B40B4D3-5E0B-482E-9C87-6CF9B4DC66BB.thumb.jpeg.a80e358fb3fb826230bed5dc8d4de88f.jpeg

Meanwhile I have also been chipping away at the Audi 80, which you’ll recall was last seen perched atop my new car lift.

The reason for this was that fuel pump had packed in, and the subframe it’s mounted on had almost come adrift as two of the three rubber bobbin mounts had perished.

All that had to come off, which meant grinding off bolts next to fuel pipes.

9E5BEEF7-86E6-4D35-9C43-DD65B2FB1DA6.thumb.jpeg.d7001d7f23f0e3f3f1cdce836375a003.jpeg

Brave pills were required but luckily I didn’t die. Hose clamps, bungs and a plumber’s soldering mat helped with being lucky.

It was all very manky.

73353C8D-9DE9-414F-AE6D-F7141201BAB5.thumb.jpeg.08d6b8dd0d0b31dfdd7eec2ce5021707.jpeg

I thought about getting an ultrasound bath, but since I’d just filled a bucket with petrol I left the whole assembly soaking in it for a week instead.

Pebble Beach here I come:

30BA39EC-4B0A-4352-B969-444F094B21F1.thumb.jpeg.a1bd6b21f73ec93a33847ef400819096.jpeg

Well, it’s better than it was.

Behold also three new rubber bobbin mounts from eBay. The hardest part of that was figuring out that’s what they were called so I could search for them.

Also note a new Chinese knock-off fuel pump from Autodoc.  It was advertised as an OEM Bosch pump and priced accordingly, but it’s identical to the cheap Chinese knock-off I’d already bought, right down to having the same, wrong, type of electrical terminals.

Autodoc wanted all kinds of shit before they’d give me a refund, arguing that it was the correct part and wanting an emailed scan of my passport and a photo of the CVC number of my credit card.  Fuck that, said I, so in the end I gave up and fitted it anyway.

Moral: don’t ever buy from Autodoc.

I had to cut off the lovely OEM screw-down terminals and fit ring connectors like a barbarian. I found one dust boot in the bottom of a drawer and improvised the other out of the little finger from a disposable rubber glove and an o-ring.

9E360C79-2FBA-430D-B490-2C4CBF71EDE2.thumb.jpeg.aca5d57d6160629d13c9761467a81ada.jpeg

Anyway, it’s all back on the car now.

I slightly* doused myself in stale petrol this morning refitting the main hose from the tank, but at least my wristwatch is now very shiny. Here it is connected up.

71650EEF-947B-4779-ACC1-9120D14AF0FC.thumb.jpeg.8321f9a934fabc78a5105a8bfa1a8b7f.jpeg

It makes a fuel pump noise and doesn’t leak, which is good, but the car won’t run yet because the battery is shagged.  Or maybe the starter motor, which just clicks, but most likely the battery.

8 hours ago, andy18s said:

Have you pulled the stereo out and checked the code isn't written on it?

Yes, sadly. It’s not in the extensive original paperwork file either.

Two different serial numbers are on the unit, one stamped and one printed on a label, but apparently neither are in the standard databases.

3 hours ago, spartacus said:

Is the radio an early enough model to respond to the of trick of putting it in a freezer for 30 mins?

?? Didn’t know that one. I might give it a go if the local Honda dealer doesn’t help.

3 hours ago, spartacus said:

Those Aerodecks are ace, although I'm sure you already know that.

Agreed!