Seasonal tyres

Flat4

Came across what I think is rather interesting test on seasonal tyres, whilst researching what new boots to buy for the Volvo. 

About 2 years ago now I bought a set of Cross Climates for the Legacy at the time as there was a load of hype about how good they were and how you didn't need to swap from summer to winter with them. My previous understanding of all season tyres was that they didn't particularly excel in being either summer or winter conditions and were therefore a poor compromise. So I did used to run 2 sets of alloys on my Legacies, 1 with winter and 1 with a summer set of tyres. But the most recent inception of all season tyres like the Cross Climate, the Pirelli Cinturato all season and the Continental All Season Contact seems to have changed all that. I have to say I didn't find the Cross Climates a particularly inspiring drive but it will be interesting to try them on the Fozzie and see how they compare to the Michelin Latitudes it is currently wearing. Those appear to be quite sticky indeed! ;)

Anyone tried the Cinturato all season or Continental version yet?

I really rate the Vredestein Quatrac 5s. Now on the 4th set, and really can't fault them in wet, dry or winter conditions.

https://alltyretests.com/vredestein-quatrac-5-test-review/

This test reckons they're noisy however, although I'd never perceived a difference between whatever was on previously. Tempted to try the CrossClimates, but worried they could be a step backwards!

Currently running four crossclimates on the A4. Really not cheap at £150 a tyre! Unfortunately the weather has been too mild down here to try them in the snow. However no complaints of their performance in the wet. When tyres are good in he wet, you don't even realise how good they are as everything carries on as normal while crap tyres mean many butt clenching moments. 

Perfect tyre for the car. Allows you to get right up the backside of the car in front, so you can blind them with the HIDs and also dazzle the people behind with the LED brake lights as you constantly have to tap the brake. So basically they are likely to become standard Audi fitment soon. 

5 hours ago, SiC said:

Perfect tyre for the car. Allows you to get right up the backside of the car in front, so you can blind them with the HIDs and also dazzle the people behind with the LED brake lights as you constantly have to tap the brake. So basically they are likely to become standard Audi fitment soon. 

So THATs why Audi headlights are so bright! ?

7 hours ago, SiC said:

Currently running four crossclimates on the A4. Really not cheap at £150 a tyre! Unfortunately the weather has been too mild down here to try them in the snow. However no complaints of their performance in the wet. When tyres are good in he wet, you don't even realise how good they are as everything carries on as normal while crap tyres mean many butt clenching moments. 

Seconded for Crossclimates; we've got them on a couple of cars and find them fine. The winters have been too mild in the last couple of years to know how they perform in the snow though.

I'm on Hankook Winter iCepts on the Scirocco and the 75. There's not been the weather to test the Rover yet, but the Scirocco romped across the thick, uncleared pack ice that felled pedestrians on Loughborough's back streets some years ago. They leave a lot of other vehicles behind in the wet too and recommend absolutely.

My last Legacy came with those Hankooks when I bought it and they were alright. I only changed to Cross Climates as I didn't have a summer set ready that year but I ended up having to use them all year round when the winter tyres got a puncture and I couldn't afford to replace the whole set. Didn't feel the need to change back and forth once I'd actually tried them.

I've got 1 pair of summer tyres which will fit the Volvo that we should hopefully be getting into the better weather, next month, for me to fit them and I've found some Cross Climates in the right size for the other axle for £57 a corner, which is an absolute no-brainer! I will eventually replace all 4 at that price I think!

I can't understand why the Pirelli and Continental all season versions are so much more expensive tho? At least £100 a corner.

I recently had two Goodyear all season gen 1 tyres fitted to the Jag to replace a worr set of Chinese death rings. They seem good although I haven't tested them in any terrible conditions yet. I think they are a bit noisier but nothing too bad. There wasn't a lot of choice in the jag's size 235/55 r17 and the gen 2's weren't available, which I think are a bit better. Ordered off tyre leader at £103 each plus £12.50 for fitting.