Help required for an extremely unlucky mate!

mat_the_cat

Around 2.5 years ago I sold my Kangoo to a good friend, as he was in need of a reliable means of transport. It had been perfectly reliable to me, but the week after he bought it the EGR failed! Various small, and not so small problems ensued, until 18 months ago the gearbox wouldn't go into second (turned out to be a broken spacer floating round in the 'box). We fitted a secondhand 'box, which seized up just before Christmas, so given that he'd already sunk £3.5k into the car, decided to pay £1k for his original gearbox to be rebuilt. They replaced a few ball joints/bushes as well, and it felt like a new car to drive!

Just when he thought his luck was changing for the better, he's found out his Dad has terminal cancer, and last Friday he was involved in a 5 car motorway crash which he's admitted is probably his fault, and the car will no doubt be written off :-( He's decided to get a lease car through his work, but there is a 12 week waiting list.

Are there any shiters near Caldicot who could sell or even rent him a reliable set of wheels to tide him over, say for a few hundred quid? Probably if renting, given his luck, best to sell it and buy back if it's still in one piece afterwards!!!

Oh, and the icing on the cake - he wasn't injured in the crash, but on getting out of the recovery truck at night, forgot he was several feet in the air and just stepped out into nothing! Bruised his back, wrenched his neck and possibly a spot of concussion.

4 hours ago, somewhatfoolish said:

Eh? The OP clearly states sell or rent?

^^ this

47 minutes ago, fatharris said:

Plus, he's doing that 12 cars in 12 months.

Wasn't a need to jump on him for that IMO.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Just helping a mate a long! If he can shift a car quicker in a month, then he has more time for the next car to shift a long. Presumably it doesn't have to be one car a month...

I'm certainly not expecting any freebies, and knowing my mate he would probably refuse anyway...

I know you can get a car for a few hundred quid quite easily, but most will be for sale due to impending problems. On here, they're more likely to be for sale due to boredom and fancying a change!