At last, a reason not to go to Birmingham

clayts450

The Birmingham Clear Air Zone goes live on 1/7/20, so the Govt have introduced a checker - covers Brum and Leeds, although the latter's start date is still up in the air:

https://vehiclecheck.drive-clean-air-zone.service.gov.uk/vehicle_checkers/enter_details

None of my cars pass and all attract an 8 quid charge in Brum. 

However, there's the usual brouhaha about data inaccuracy:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-51415374

I avoid the place myself now as much as possible. Bonus for me is this will make it even easier to justify not going to family get together's! 

Although just checked and my Punto will incur the charge but my Stilo is ok. Oh well I'll keep that one to myself! 

48 minutes ago, Floatylight said:

2008 C4 Dizzler, 2003 Passat Dizzler, 2003 C3 Petrol - all charged.

2007 Mazda 3 Petrol - no charge..

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

It's the same as London ULEZ I believe, you're OK if euro 4 onwards petrol or euro 6 onwards diesel. Likely the checker gets confused with older or rarer stuff but hopefully historics will be exempt. 

Much like the ULEZ it's actually a very small area (for now anyway) and easily avoided when driving. Having walked round some of that area myself yesterday (New Street and nearby) I'm all for it, to be honest I'd favour pedestrianising a good chunk of it, the only people who need to drive right in these city centre bits are deliveries and taxis. 

Somebody who lives there.

It will now cost me £8 to go to my local post office to pick up a parcel. Or I could do the 3 mile journey by bus, which would take me over an hour each way as there’s no direct bus.

I live about 3 miles from the city centre and I can honestly say that I’ve been to Amsterdam more times than Birmingham city centre over the past 12 months.

7 hours ago, sierraman said:

Who in their right mind would choose to drive into central Birmingham anyway. 

My son lives in Harbourne, works at PWC as a Trainee Auditor.  When he goes to the office, he cycles, because it's quicker and saves on parking.  70% of the time he is at a client site, but sometimes he needs to pop into the office, after being off site all day. 

His 60k 20 year old petrol Astra is not compliant. 

According to that link, he could get 2k towards a replacement if he scraps it. 

I will be looking to autoshite for a suitable car to do that to. 

1 minute ago, New POD said:

I know where you live and parts of Birmingham are great. Used to be my favourite city. Less so know. 

Driving through most of it looks like a bombs hit It, also agree, Bolton is a hell hole. 

Was only banter mate. 

2 minutes ago, New POD said:

Indeed. And funny. Good morning by the way. 

I'm actually in Brum now, staying in.my son's over heated flat, as we need to swap the radiator on his non compliant Astra

Good luck! I'm up watching YouTube videos, after 4 hours sleep ?

7 hours ago, sierraman said:

Who in their right mind would choose to drive into central Birmingham anyway. 

It’s not that bad as cities go and far better than places like Nottingham. Parking can be high cost though. I am off there in a few minutes but taking train as it’s easier and cheaper for one. If there are two of you then the car is still cheaper.

Lex-arse: fwuffy bunny wabbits and sunlit wildflower meadows follow it everywhere.  Apparently.

Dyane: it's a no from Brum, but I can still go into Leeds.  Raid Tan Hill is still OK then, which is nice.  When I finally get the thing sorted.

Blingo: BEGONE FOUL BEAST THAT CONSUMES THE JIZZ OF SATAN!!!

It's a continuous and worrying trend that's going on now. Started with London and Edinburgh was supposed to follow but we ended up getting the trams instead. 

Governments way of getting rid of old perfectly good cars without doing another scrapage scheme.. 

Shitters banned from :

London, Birmingham 

From 2022-24 onwards :

Glasgow

Edinburgh, Dundee, Aberdeen (proposals) 

The list will grow in the next few years as local councils find a new way to make money.. :(