Concerto: Conclusion?

Ghosty

51 minutes ago, bigfella2 said:

What happened to the Ovlov 850 you had?

22mpg was useless as a daily, sold it to @paulplom who swapped it for a Mini with @GeordieInExile

3 minutes ago, SiC said:

Won't that only be getting mid to high 30s with an auto box?

I've never had a car that does more than low 30s. 

30 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

22mpg was useless as a daily, sold it to @paulplom who swapped it for a Mini with @GeordieInExile

I've never had a car that does more than low 30s. 

Step right this way sir.......

IMG_20200224_132232.thumb.jpg.ecfdc47c6c08252ff04dc6c771f7b175.jpg

Mpgs and happiness await. 

received_572199493615252.jpeg

5 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

I reckon this would be the first car I’d ever scrapped (if it was mine). 

What an ungrateful shit. 

Sadly, at your stage in life, the car you want and the car you need are completely different things. I know I constantly bang the drum about 90s Toyotas but I have three - none have ever let me down in 6 years of ownership. Ever. 

I hope you get something you’re happy with man. And hopefully you can get a few quid for it as a breaker. 

This is bang on and I also always harp on about them.

My 2005 Avensis 2.2d is immense also, along with my lads 2.0d version, boring, but immense. The 2. 2 is actually a pretty rapid car. Its been left for 6 weeks in work untouched, started first time no booster etc. 

Those are both cars available for half your budget but of course anything from Toyota in the 90's will do you proud. 

I'm sorry to say that having worked for Honda that Toyotas are far better cars, not the vtec yo thrill and maybe on paper a lesser package but they are far better for reliability and  durability, hence you see them in all the harshest countries in the world.

Toyota lead in technology and I can assure you Honda follow, I won't even get into the quality of the machinery they use. It's not always a bad thing to follow as the tech is proven but as Toyota spend more on R&D than any other company, that should tell you a lot about what they do. 

Someone on here summed Toyota up perfectly in that they can make something that should be hideously unreliable, incredibly reliable. 

1 hour ago, Ghosty said:

Currently, I'm looking into Volvo S60 D5s.

Wrong swede... what you want is a Saab... grab a nice 2.0t auto 9000 get 32 to the gallon and look retro whilst doing it.

Or if you really fancy something modern apparently a 9-5 is nice too. (And if you really must they did do a diseasel in that one too) 

To echo the sentiments of BorniteIdentity and Vaughant (and I assume tooSavvy), Toyotas of this vintage are very good cars that will give you reliable service in a slightly dull package. I’ve had mine for nearly a year and it has provided sterling service to me, Admittedly there were a few issues at the beginning but they were very easily rectified.

If you squint at my Corolla you could easily believe it was an R8.

Have to say, barring alternators Squealing and one ftp due to a snapped aux belt I’ve been very looked after in the BJ department.

£350-£500 will get you an auto FSU if you can find one, they came in 1.3,1.6 and 1.8 spec, both mine are 1.8 and just about manage 35 on the motorway but about 25 round town (less if wife has it idling to keep warm on school run) but they are very good transport devices if not dynamically engaging.

Mrs ODM likes them so much I am forbidden from selling one out so when I get the itch it’ll have to be the Laguna out on it’s ear :( 

1 hour ago, loserone said:

Is that @Ghosty liking the idea of getting a BJ from @Ohdearme?

14 minutes ago, Ohdearme said:

Stand down, I’m not itching yet!

Only a matter of time surely?

Edited by loserone
Too far?

17 hours ago, Rod/b said:

Yo Ghosters how about this? 2001 Corolla 1.6 VVTI Auto bornitemobile 58k miles.  Got to be the most reliable thing for sub 2 grand you could buy.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F133342648033

I think he is being a bit optimistic with that, not that I doubt it's longevity but I reckon a cheeky grand bid left on the table would see that bought. 

Having said that, yes low miles are nice but my mum had a 75k one she took to 125k and a 53k one after she gave the 125k to my sister who managed to wreck it by crashing it several times but there was no noteable difference in drive. 

My Avensis was bought at 100k and now at 145k IIRC, still drives the same. 

Is be looking  more at the £695-895 range of Corollas as simply a form of transport that won't break. 

But in fairness I do love a saab/volvo and can see the attraction. Doesn't the volvo auto have major issues though, geartronic? 

Edited by vaughant
Grammar