How low can you go?

Steve79

In these energy saving conscious days where one is constantly bombarded with buy an EV this and ban the internal combustion engine that, I, Steve79 have decided to take a stand against the man!!!

You can keep your clean energy, you can keep your MS ZS EV's and you can keep your LEZ'S AND ULEZ'S. I'm waving the beige Autoshite flag aloft for liquid fuel and i encourage everyone to burn as much as possible with gay abandon!

The challenge!

Distance to be covered: 10 miles

Style of driving: Preferably loon but whatevs

Lowest average mpg's recorded = Winzz

Prize = Autoshite trophy (to be commissioned)

Ready, Go!

2 hours ago, Ghosty said:

If I could afford to do it I bet I could get low teens out of the Jag. 

It depends on how clear the roads are. Usually we start off at sub 10.mpg, and whilst trying to be efficient will achieve about 20.mpg in the first 10 miles and sit in traffic at 0.8 gals per hour.  This week my 30 mile commute has given me 23 mpg Tuesday to Thursday.  

It I reset the fuel consumption recording device whilst on cruise on the motorway through the 50 mph crosswords, I achieve 36 mpg. 

But I accept your challenge. I will drive to Brum tonight via stafford and the first 10 miles is B Road.

I think.the lowest it shows is 7. 

My lowest recorded in a "normal" car was 8 mpg ,whilst chasing down a 944 turbo in a Carlton Gsi 24v on the newly opened Shrewsbury bypass

Daily driver? My 89 Disco v8

An early 3.5 on those twin carbs got through dino juice at 12 mpg on the daily grind

Made fantastic noises though....G252UYK,where are you now ?

A run out would see it up to 17/18 

22 hours ago, sutty2006 said:

Where’s eddyramrod when you need him 

He's here!  :)

A 10-mile trip would actually work against me for this, because Huggy's mileage improves with distance, time, and out-of-town-ness, even given that out of town in the Lakes means congested, inadequate roads that really don't deserve their A tag.  I would expect to be in double figures, even using the power; maybe even as high as 17-ish.  Around town I reckon it sinks to 10 or possibly less.

But why am I so vague?  I'll tell you: there's more to life than MPG.  I honestly don't care how much petrol I use, except when I have to pay for it of course.

Working at a Europcar depot back in the day, it was a source of personal pride to deliver brand new Passat 2.0 petrol manuals (6 miles on the clock, fresh off the transporter) to the hire car car park 1.2 miles away with the OBC reading sub 6mpg.

After a couple of months on fleet, you could tell the difference between those that had been babied round on their first trip, and those that had the FU'GUTTY (TM) performance improvement works carried out.

The GSA does 25mpg. The burds Clio (similar weight 3x the power) does 35-45mpg depending on use. 

7 hours ago, New POD said:

It depends on how clear the roads are. Usually we start off at sub 10.mpg, and whilst trying to be efficient will achieve about 20.mpg in the first 10 miles and sit in traffic at 0.8 gals per hour.  This week my 30 mile commute has given me 23 mpg Tuesday to Thursday.  

It I reset the fuel consumption recording device whilst on cruise on the motorway through the 50 mph crosswords, I achieve 36 mpg. 

But I accept your challenge. I will drive to Brum tonight via stafford and the first 10 miles is B Road.

I think.the lowest it shows is 7. 

Think it is 7ish. Remember towing my tin tent with my Omega 3.0 auto from Neath up to Merthyr a long, long pull. I was in 2nd (auto) at 60mph and the instantaneous readout was 7 or 6 point something. Funnily enough my Range Rover was not much different towing mpg wise over mixed roads.

4 hours ago, andy18s said:

My lowest recorded in a "normal" car was 8 mpg ,whilst chasing down a 944 turbo in a Carlton Gsi 24v on the newly opened Shrewsbury bypass

Daily driver? My 89 Disco v8

An early 3.5 on those twin carbs got through dino juice at 12 mpg on the daily grind

Made fantastic noises though....G252UYK,were are you now ?

A run out would see it up to 17/18 

Ahhh yes, the old 6 cyl 24v. My senator achieved 6mpg driving from Biddulph moor to Leek up over the hills. Was a poor guy back then! Haha 

I've currently got a hire car while mine is in the body shop. 

To my amazement, enterprise handed me the keys to a 19 plate 3.0 HSE Discovery. :-)

The dash has a bewildering collection of controls, you can set different styles of gauges, maps, terrain readouts, tyre pressures, radio stations, suspension settings, humidity, temperature etc etc etc... 

Nowhere can I find an mpg display! 

I suppose if you have to ask........

4 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Coincidentally much the same as the CX...at best. I'm fairly sure mine struggles to manage 20mpg

I reckon I'm getting about 30 out of my CX on a long run. Not sure round the houses. 

My daily 3.0 Legacy seems to average around 16/17 on my commute. Which reminds me, I really should take the spare gearbox out the boot...