Big Fat German Bird joins the fleet - Cookie's adventures in shiteing

Cookiesouwest

Update.

It lives !

Put another 5 ltr in then started her up. EML and Traction Control lights on. Running like a bag of spanners.

Nursed her to the petrol station and then got the level above half way.

On start up, smooth as silk, no traction control light. EML still on but no longer driving in limp mode :)

First impressions. Quiet. Very quiet, except the clanky suspension. Everything except PDC works and I reckon that's just a sensor.

Very comfy refined place to sit. Steering heavier than I'm use too, but I've not had a E39 for 6 yrs. 

Very much like this car :)

Need to get the EML off, as that will just bug me.

MOT on Monday

• Cookiesouwest changed the title to Cookie's adventures in shiteing - It lives :)
  • Cookiesouwest changed the title to Cookie's adventures in shiteing - and God said, let there be light
2 hours ago, andyberg said:

Race ya.... 😂😂

I'm not a fan of BMWs although I do like the interior styling of this age of them, and the red lights on the dash at night🤭

And yours is a nice blue 🤣

If we can find a pub where a scotch egg or packet of crisps is a substantial meal, we can go for a drink and you can drive the beemer.

Unless you win the roffle, in which case its a Bavarian convoy :)

• Cookiesouwest changed the title to Cookie's adventures in shiteing - MOT results are in for the roffle beemer

It would be interesting to see what the new owner does.

I'd personally have done rear tyres (part worn) Anti roll bar stuff on front and clean brake lines up. Then 2nd opinion at other garage etc.

Was that your normal tester? It had quite a clean mot last time.

At least you got out of it OK and didn't sell any of the fleet.

59 minutes ago, Agila said:

It would be interesting to see what the new owner does.

I'd personally have done rear tyres (part worn) Anti roll bar stuff on front and clean brake lines up. Then 2nd opinion at other garage etc.

Was that your normal tester? It had quite a clean mot last time.

At least you got out of it OK and didn't sell any of the fleet.

Yes normal tester who on every other vehicle is quite lenient.

If it were not for the crap going on with Uncle / Mum, would have kept it.

Just don't have the time for a project

New owner is going to break it :(

I feel a bit bad about that. I'm not surprised about the drop links or the balljoints but I didn't think the brake pipes were that bad. The rear tyres are not a massive hardship because they hadn't much life left in them.

Not surprised you gave it the heave ho because the rear balljoints are bit of a pain in the tits to change.

16 minutes ago, JimH said:

I feel a bit bad about that. I'm not surprised about the drop links or the balljoints but I didn't think the brake pipes were that bad. The rear tyres are not a massive hardship because they hadn't much life left in them.

Not surprised you gave it the heave ho because the rear balljoints are bit of a pain in the tits to change.

No need to feel bad at all.

It cost me 30 quid plus shipping.

I've sold it for what it owes me so far (plus insurance, tax etc).

I feel bad because engine / box / bodywork / interior are good. Under normal circumstances I would suck it up and fix. Then have many happy years motoring. 

But more important things to worry about at the mo - family stuff, plus a ginger disastra that needs shocks all round.

I have a damn fine wife who puts up with my chod obsession - but who would go fecking mental if I paid a garage to fix everything it needs, on top of everything else going on at mo.

• 2 weeks later...

All vauxhalls are shit, well they are when previous owner didn't do an oil change in 6 years.

So, besides the intermittent low oil warning, on Sunday I got an EML. Codes were read that indicated a camshaft sensor failure on the exhaust side.

Thanks to @Agila, who clearly has better You Tube search abilities than me, the right sensor was located in the engine bay and a new one ordered.

Now at the weekend I had also posted a worrying picture of carbon build up. Pic here for ref

20201219_134211.thumb.jpg.bf22afb196e6bf8c32d47e365998c895.jpg

So I collected the new sensor this morning and set about changing it.

I mean its one electrical connection and a T12. How hard could it be?

Well this was the old sensor after removal

20201222_091607.thumb.jpg.659d254e4d0134247fa91b2e3edb5527.jpg

A LOT of carbon build up

A comparison pic to show what it should look like

20201222_091704.thumb.jpg.07fac057544e1fd7ae954db0020cea0a.jpg

New one inserted, but it just won't fit.

Finger inserted. Did I find the G spot of a z18xer? Nope, I found large pieces of carbon. Which explains why I can't get the bastard to sit correctly.

20201222_092726.thumb.jpg.84695f33c5be94be978aac088fed11b3.jpg

The green o ring should not be visible.

So removed and using the finest* tool available, some Lidl kitchen towel, cause I am a professional*, a bit of cleaning / rubbing the hole ensued. The hole didn't get wet, stayed stubbornly dry, but did get some carbon bits out.

Fresh engine oil smeared round the hole and over the ring and success. Her hole was filled nicely and sensor bolted in.

20201222_093709.thumb.jpg.a856e4221d959573bd07b0164bd0232f.jpg

In case you were about to tell me, it still ain't in right, I know. Bit more wiggling after this pic taken and now all good.

Codes cleared and no EML on now

20201222_094244.thumb.jpg.ada0e85b5bee40ab0aa65d3744a7f2d6.jpg

I now suspect that the oil level sensor is probably caked in crap too, which explains its intermittent flashing.

Weirdly she has been running ok since purchase in Feb. Did give her fresh oil then. Will be giving her another oil change in New Year.

I suspect that without a full strip down and de-carbon, nothing will make it better. So just going to live with it.

Change your oil regularly folks.

• Cookiesouwest changed the title to Cookie's adventures in shiteing - Fingering a dry hole

Had a Zafira like that. Went to do the rocker gaskets and the whole of one side was full of carbon! 

Spent a while getting a fair bit of it out and just left it and did some oil changes. Had faded a bit after 3.

Get the worst out and check all the breather pipes are clear then the harder and faster you drive it the more clean it'll get. Just chuck a few monthly tesco value oil changes through it 

Or seafoam?