Jump to content

Remind me again. Why did I buy a Landrover? - Cookie's adventures in shiteing


Cookiesouwest

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, Sham said:

The Hyundai's are great, Kia's too. Also look at Suzuki Vitara. Often overlooked, and very capable.

I found the Vitara seats really unsupportive so probably one to try before considering. Mind you I am the same size as the Goodyear blimp on the portly side

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Markeh said:

I found the Vitara seats really unsupportive so probably one to try before considering. Mind you I am the same size as the Goodyear blimp on the portly side

I don't have an issue with the seats, my only issue is getting in the back, the back doors don't open far enough. Fine for kids though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Markeh said:

I found the Vitara seats really unsupportive so probably one to try before considering. Mind you I am the same size as the Goodyear blimp on the portly side

I would be utterly mad to say my wife is portly.

But based on your comment, I wont be getting her to test a Vitara :)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Try an older Lexus RX, the seats are some of the best I've ever sat in even with my crumbling spine, I drove from Wellingborough to Inveraray in one go and jumped out with no problems at all after it. The Koreans are very good but really not a patch on a Lexus interior in terms of comfort and quality.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202204265038682?postcode=nn84sl&sort=year-desc&price-to=18000&advertising-location=at_cars&price-from=10000&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&include-delivery-option=on&radius=1500&model=RX 450h&maximum-mileage=90000&make=Lexus&page=1&percentVehiclePriceDeposit=true

7ea4c79c790a4c26acf4b791185a7d2a.jpg

ddec6b2c31b14f65887e4791940a1b47.jpg

This has got a couple of years warranty left if you get it serviced at Lexus as part of their extended 10 year warranty, plus you can buy an extended 5 year warranty from Lexus to take it up to 15 years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Cookiesouwest said:

2018 / 2019

Sales team busy, being AWOL, so couldn't get in a new one.

If the seats are really improved, then I will need to persuade her to go back.

I believe the original Duster shared the same or similar seats to the Sandero. In which case they're not great. The seats in our 69-plate (new shape) Duster are very good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well today, went looking at more cars I can't afford ;)

1st up was a MG ZS. Mrs C really liked the seats and was pleasantly surprised with the interior.

Then a MG HS. Safe to say she really liked it. I mean really liked it.

Off to Honda to look at a mk4 facelift CRV. Very good. Made her cry, because it reminded her of her mk2 that got taken off to co-part on Friday. The Honda CRV DNA was strong.

Then a 1.0 turbo civic. Loved the looks, hated the ride height.

Followed by a Kia Sportage (hated the seats), Pug 3008 (doesn't want an electric handbrake), two Ford Kugas ( liked the one with cloth seats and normal handbrake, hated the one with leather and electric handbrake ).

So the list of possibles now has 5 cars on it. 

MG HS

MG ZS

MK 4.5 HONDA CRV or MK5

Hyundai Tucson

Ford Kuga

I don't know how anyone just buys a car over the net, without trying it.

You learn a lot by seeing them in the metal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A friend has just had their Hyundai Tucson (under 3yrs old) shit itself. I couldn't quite decipher what the issue was from their description but it sounds like the mild hybrid system causes it to damage the timing belt. They're looking at 3-6 week wait before it can be sorted. The AA guy towing it in said there was a significant amount of broken Tucsons in the back of Weston-Super-Mare Hyundai with an identical fault. Dealer said they knew exactly what the problem was when they phoned it in and that it'd be a long wait to be sorted. 

Unfortunately a bit vague on the actual fault but sounds like potentially quite a liability.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Headed up to Hexham today, to visit the MIL.

Took the Mondeo that managed a respectable 51 mpg. Not bad given its an auto and once on the M32, it never travelled less than the speed limit, till we hit Carlisle.

20220825_181704.thumb.jpg.ca5f154207265e1d9c269824bdbaa9f2.jpg

20220825_181737.thumb.jpg.8ac258daa055a43ce70151818d6813dc.jpg

I've not brimmed it yet for a more accurate result. Will do that once we've visited Beamish tomorrow.

The list of possible SUV's has been reduced to two.

Visited Arnold Clark in Hexham this afternoon, as they had a quite wide selection to look at.

MG ZS - No. On second viewing, the boot is too small.

Skoda Karoq became a brief contender for the list, until the Ford Kuga was given a 2nd viewing.

Skoda Superb estate was a flat out no, due to interior and much lowness compared to an SUV.

So the list is now

MG HS or Ford Kuga MK 2

Given the cheapest HS is 20k, its going to be a Kuga.

MK2 facelift can be had for 12k, easy to find for 14k.

Only fly in ointment is the electric handbrake, that management is less than happy about.

Can I afford a Kuga. Nope. But the youngest daughter has just secured an apprenticeship. Which means she now has to pay rent. Which means I could use the rent money for the car payments.

If we don't get a Kuga, Management has made an enquiry as to the availability of the Mondeo for herself. My fault. She was put off by the auto, having no real experience of driving one. 

Let her drive from Tebay services to Hexham.

She liked the torque of the tdci and said the auto was ok.

The torque was put to good use, for rather a lot of overtaking on the A69. Been a long time since I was a passenger with Management driving. I had forgotten her Colin McCrae tendencies :)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Comfy seats + reliable= loads of toys = Nissan X-trail 1.6 dci.  in either 2wd or 4wd flavor.

I have had mine 6 years, yes it has an electric handbrake, so easy to use, drive off it releases or push the leaver down.  Stop either pull the leaver up or just turn the ignition off . I get late 40's to mid 50's mpg's.

But I have had mine remapped.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/20/2022 at 7:38 PM, SiC said:

A friend has just had their Hyundai Tucson (under 3yrs old) shit itself. I couldn't quite decipher what the issue was from their description but it sounds like the mild hybrid system causes it to damage the timing belt. They're looking at 3-6 week wait before it can be sorted. The AA guy towing it in said there was a significant amount of broken Tucsons in the back of Weston-Super-Mare Hyundai with an identical fault. Dealer said they knew exactly what the problem was when they phoned it in and that it'd be a long wait to be sorted. 

Unfortunately a bit vague on the actual fault but sounds like potentially quite a liability.

Got a good friend that’s a Kia master tech and they have the same issue with the Sportage ( the same car/engine combo that we have currently on lease) he currently has more than 10 waiting on replacement engines and he has even seen replacement engines going pop, dying to get shot of ours due to sh1t fuel consumption and the god awful DCT but we just can’t decide what to replace it with.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, scorchio69 said:

Got a good friend that’s a Kia master tech and they have the same issue with the Sportage ( the same car/engine combo that we have currently on lease) he currently has more than 10 waiting on replacement engines and he has even seen replacement engines going pop, dying to get shot of ours due to sh1t fuel consumption and the god awful DCT but we just can’t decide what to replace it with.

They better sort the issue quickly.

As a brand they have worked hard to gain a strong reputation.

That can rapidly change.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ours has been fine so far and this is coming up to the end of year two but engine issues aside the DCT mapping is atrocious and so dim witted when you want to make progress but fine when you are just doodling along still not doing more than 35mpg .

We love the brand and the car has everything you want but yeah it won’t do their reputation any good 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Cookiesouwest changed the title to SUV hunting. NOW Pick Up Truck hunting. For stuff I can't afford - Cookie's adventures in shiteing

The redneck side of Mrs CSW has made a very strong appearance this weekend.

The hunt for an SUV I can't afford has come to an end.

The hunt for a Pick Up I can't afford has begun.

Must be square, so nothing too new, because newer ones actually have curves.

Think Ford Ranger pre 2012, kinda style.

To be fair, she has always wanted one. I've always tried to put her off, after making half arsed attempts at finding one.

Covid + microchip shortage has also had impact on pick up prices, as well as cars :)

Luckily she doesn't mind something older i.e. 20yrs old, as long as its square.

This would be the newest she would entertain.

Screenshot_20220904-212104_eBay.thumb.jpg.b934c6b3e9aa7f3c3db5b8e810269cfb.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Cookiesouwest said:

The redneck side of Mrs CSW has made a very strong appearance this weekend.

The hunt for an SUV I can't afford has come to an end.

The hunt for a Pick Up I can't afford has begun.

Must be square, so nothing too new, because newer ones actually have curves.

Think Ford Ranger pre 2012, kinda style.

To be fair, she has always wanted one. I've always tried to put her off, after making half arsed attempts at finding one.

Covid + microchip shortage has also had impact on pick up prices, as well as cars :)

Luckily she doesn't mind something older i.e. 20yrs old, as long as its square.

This would be the newest she would entertain.

Screenshot_20220904-212104_eBay.thumb.jpg.b934c6b3e9aa7f3c3db5b8e810269cfb.jpg

What about an auld L200?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, AnnoyingPentium said:

What about an auld L200?

Yes they are on my list, although the engine issues some of them have suffered, is quite scary.

She does like the look of them though.

I'm hoping to steer her in the direction of a HiLux or a Ranger. Once I've worked out how to pay for one lol

I would p/ex my CRV but I can find the V5 at the mo :(

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Cookiesouwest said:

Yes they are on my list, although the engine issues some of them have suffered, is quite scary.

She does like the look of them though.

I'm hoping to steer her in the direction of a HiLux or a Ranger. Once I've worked out how to pay for one lol

I would p/ex my CRV but I can find the V5 at the mo :(

 

Just don't buy a Navara... they seem to split in half.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Cookiesouwest changed the title to Remind me again. Why did I buy a Landrover? - Cookie's adventures in shiteing

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...