HFM small autos - Cookie's adventures in shiteing

Cookiesouwest

You might as well help the mechanic out by clearing out all the codes now and then they will get an idea of what actually comes back. 

Random faults like you're having there is very frequently a duff battery. 

What has is got fitted and does it look ancient? 

I've just dealt with a 2007 Range Rover Sport and it was doing the same thing as yours. The Lion (!) battery that someone had fitted was just not upto scratch. Was supposed to have a 900CCA one fitted but it tested as 600 something, and despite the alternator charging fine, it just wasn't holding a charge which upset all the systems. 600 might sound ok for a normal car but not one of these. 

I think they require systems to be kept at 12.8 volts bare minimum when running, which is a lot. Most cars specify closer to 12.2-12.5. Therefore if it drops too low for too long when cranking (it will drop below that, no matter how good the battery is) but a weak battery will take too long to give everything enough power so it upsets everything 

It’ll have shit loads of codes in all modules, mostly U codes which can be ignored. You want to pay attention to the P codes, that’ll tell you what’s really going on.

Clear em and take it for a spin see what comes back. It’ll be one fault in one module that causes a load of cascade issues, like steering angle sensor has come out of calibration or it’s overboosting because the actuators stuck etc.

Could be battery but if it’s starting ok after a layup… you usually get a brief HDC failure message on startup in a morning if battery getting weak. I’ve seen more issues from overcharging alternators when people have fitted cheap ones, they only like expensive densos due to the smart charge bollox

They are bloody hypochondriacs these things!

It's the battery depletion under load (and after) that does it

Weak batteries may test ok, because load* testers extrapolate a 250mA or so draw, but once it's got 80 amps being pulled out of it when all the ancillaries are on full whack or churning over a TDV6 then they don't do so well

Any modern car will be easily upset by a weak battery. 

They can cause the most random quirks, that quite often don't cause an actual issue, just a telltale sign

For example, a MK2 Focus will often flash it's high beams when cranking or the clocks will twitch on the first turn of the key for a few seconds when the battery is aging. Not a real fault per se, but goes to show how everything gets upset by a small hiccup

18 minutes ago, Cookiesouwest said:

I have bitten the bullet and ordered an Exide EA 1000.

Seems to be the favoured battery on the forums.

If its not the battery, at least I've got a new battery and a good spare.

Ooo, Halfords trade discount anybody?????😂😂

Time to worry.

Disco is off to the garage tomorrow. As its a 2hr walk back after dropping it off, I decided to drop it off today.

Except the estate is locked :(

So I've had to leave it parked at side of road.

Anyone want to bet, whether its still there in the morning? 

Will drive up in the Mondy when they open Monday AM, so I can discuss what needs doing.

If I get any change from 1500 notes, I will be thrilled.

If it gets nicked, I will probably be almost as thrilled lol

20230122_145935.thumb.jpg.d01cd287e9654317b4c2dab2a3d4aa82.jpg

So it's been in garage since Monday.

No word from them yet, though I did give them a long list of faults to fix.

I may go and visit tomorrow for an update, as not knowing what is going on, drives me mental.

Here is a picture of a cat, for no reason what so ever.

1674661722289413643263480116264.thumb.jpg.e565bf9427df40172d467daa05038669.jpg

21 minutes ago, Cookiesouwest said:

So it's been in garage since Monday.

No word from them yet, though I did give them a long list of faults to fix.

I may go and visit tomorrow for an update, as not knowing what is going on, drives me mental.

Here is a picture of a cat, for no reason what so ever.

1674661722289413643263480116264.thumb.jpg.e565bf9427df40172d467daa05038669.jpg

No news is good news????? But the cat is looking at you as if to say ' I told you not to buy a discovery, what do you expect now? '😂😂

11 hours ago, sutty2006 said:

Is it broke yet?

Kind of.

Went to garage to get an update.

Most of the warning lights and suspension failure was down to an old battery running 11 volts.

New battery has resolved the issue.

It needs a tie rod end, steering angle sensor and a steering rack.

Once that's done, they can test drive it (the rack is so knackered, its dangerous to drive).

He thinks the rumbling noise is down to a failing transfer box. They will drain it and see if they find any metal.

If its clean, once the rack is in, he will drive it to see what else it could be.

Then it needs new gearbox sump (the revised metal one), fix the sunroof leak.

On plus side, mechanic says its not a lemon and overall good nick for a 173k Disco.

I'm thinking I'm going to get a near 2k bill :( Sounds terrible, but total spend will still be less than equivalent ones on local forecourts. So not too bad.

But, once its all done, it will be safe to drive and will obviously drive like a different car. Mrs CSW will be safe and happy.

Just ordered replacement front fog lights, as old ones are letting in water. Im happy to start trying to improve it a bit.

Landrovers are needy.

But I like it. So much so I've seen a RR L322 locally for 3k. Diesel, Auto, Green with green leather. 100k and good history.

Trying to resist.

CRV went to garage yesterday, in an attempt to get it off the naughty step.

Needed the advisories done from MOT (just a couple of suspension bits) and a diff fluid change, in an attempt to double its current 2wd.

Went to collect this morning and took the dogs, for an hour walk.

Sadly no snow or torrential rain, to find out if I now have 4wd. Rear end certainly felt better.

Pic of CRV now off the naughty step (hopefully).

20230204_100952.thumb.jpg.c2ce6affa2130782a22ae42d69a41533.jpg

And one of the dogs

20230204_100332.thumb.jpg.4c4558674cb594e50a5ec2bd49f0ea62.jpg

And what of the Disco.

Its been in garage two weeks. I've been promised two calls to give updates, not received either.

I've been to garage twice to get updates. Now in a bind.

Don't want them thinking I'm a difficult / annoying customer, but do want to know whats going on, so I have a rough idea of the final bill.

What would you all do?

Leave it for a bit or chase up again?

• Cookiesouwest changed the title to CRV now 4wd? - Cookie's adventures in shiteing
4 hours ago, red5 said:

The plastic Britool sump replacement is brilliant. Filter change is now just a pain 😁.

I'd get rack sorted before steering angle sensor.

Don't for get the brake lamp bulbs 😎

Rack was meant to be done end of the week.

Garage were doing that before changing any sensors

Visited the LR garage, as its been a week and I've heard nowt.

Power Steering rack fitted and tracking done. This has solved the steering angle error.

Shuddering was a knackered centre prop, so thats been replaced.

New gearbox sump goes on tomorrow am, then it should be ready for collection.

Mechanic says drives like a different car.

No idea what the bill will be.

• Cookiesouwest changed the title to Disco nearly fixed - Cookie's adventures in shiteing

Don't know whether to like or be sad about this. 🤔

9 minutes ago, Cookiesouwest said:

Visited the LR garage, as its been a week and I've heard nowt.

Power Steering rack fitted and tracking done. This has solved the steering angle error.

Shuddering was a knackered centre prop, so thats been replaced.

New gearbox sump goes on tomorrow am, then it should be ready for collection.

Mechanic says drives like a different car.

No idea what the bill will be.

Just now, andyberg said:

Don't know whether to like or be sad about this. 🤔

Its a like. Prop shaft is a lot cheaper than a transfer box or a diff :)

The rack and battery seem to have fixed all other faults. 

Its a guess, but I reckon it will be less than 1500 now.

Of course, this will leave some money in the budget and I am dumb enough to go buy another lol So actually could be sad news.

4 hours ago, goosey said:

Can you change the propshaft centre bearing on these or is it a complete new propshaft? 

You can, but you need a special tool to split the CV joint to get it off. I had mine replaced by GKN years ago, cost me £150 all in. But it failed 2 years after so it got a brand new prop. £300 . Fitted both myself.