HFM small autos - Cookie's adventures in shiteing

Cookiesouwest

You could not make this up. Welcome to Land Rover life.

Garage phoned. Car ready.

@andyberg kindly gives me a lift.

Arrive. Garage boss is finishing valeting the car. Only thing not fixed is the sunroof leak. Sunroof motor seized, so they can't check the drains from the top.

10hrs labour minimum. I decide to decline. Will silicone the bastard and save loads of money.

They did the rest of my list, plus two things they found wrong. A FUBAR power steering rack and a cracked fuel filter housing.

Car has had new battery (supplied by me) and the revised shallow auto box sump. New Centre prop. Two track rod ends and 4 wheel tracking.

The bill was £1354. Less than anticipated.

Fuel was at zero range, so headed for nearest petrol station.

Car drove fantastic. A huge improvement.

But this is a Land Rover.

2 miles and the suspension height warning returns :(

100 yards from the petrol station, the diesel runs out :(

The petrol station has run out of fuel containers :(

Half hour walk home, to get the Diesel container from the shed. Except I don't have one :(

Have to explain to Mrs Cookie, why I've just spent a shit load of money and her car is parked on an Industrial estate, 30 mins walk away.

Land Rover - One Life, waste it. Buy a fucking Honda CRV instead.

• Cookiesouwest changed the title to You couldn't make this sh*t up. FML - Cookie's adventures in shiteing

Well its home now, as its had some Dizzle.

20230210_205020.thumb.jpg.f80773e4a2a59a070d9ff30f4266ee3e.jpg

Gave it a blast around the villages and guess what?

Yep, the Suspension Fault decided to give me a break and not reappear.

Car drives bloody great. The new steering rack and prop have transformed it. I would go so far as to say I even like it.

Being a Disco, when I parked up, the folding mirrors no longer folded and the drivers door puddle light no longer works ! Probably down to the wash the garage gave it.

Checked the bill again and he didn't charge me for the prop, so I will be back to garage to pay what I owe.

I've forgiven it for now. It better behave this weekend.

2 hours ago, N Dentressangle said:

Disco 3's are temptingly cheap and look great, but there are so many stories like this there's no way I'd risk one.

I'll stick with the cobby old donkey

lil9Zxi.jpg

A lot of Disco 2's are strong money. Quite a bit of overlap between the top of D2 and bottom of D3.

It couldn't last.

First time Mrs Cookie drives it and yep, suspension fault. She drove it half a mile, pulled over and told me to drive it back.

She does not want to drive it, till its actually fixed.

Also the suspension dropped over night.

Given the number of times its been scanned, the sensor fault must be sporadic.

Time for some parts darts

Maybe lift the suspension on its highest setting then spray the airbags with soapy water to check for leaks ? 

not sure if it’s similar for a disco but on my Merc you could remove the air suspension fuse to stop the car self levelling over night so at least you could see which corner had dropped in the morning so you had an idea where the air leak was 

2 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

I'll wager a leaking airbag too 

It was at garage for 3 weeks. They read live data multiple times and inspected suspension. 

They believe it was a sensor being thrown out of walk by the knackered rack.

I'm betting its an intermittent sensor fault.

Parts darts beckons.

Warning- uninteresting pic heavy.

So, the Disco 3 had crap fog lights, the left one was letting in moisture, the right had gone cloudy.

20230212_135206.thumb.jpg.98a2ab08cd26b9a98e0898af704ff794.jpg

Even though she is on the naughty step, I ordered replacements from Powerfulluk Ltd. Largely because they also provide a long handled t20 with the lights. Saved me a trip to Halfrauds. Also came with fresh bulbs.

20230212_134930.thumb.jpg.c70ee9be978b9cd467d8be580832b79d.jpg

First the bezel needs to be removed.

Small finger shaped hole at top of bezel. Very good at cutting your finger, quite shit at pulling the bezel out, but got there in the end.

20230212_135002.thumb.jpg.863999c128ff93fb574efb49408430eb.jpg

20230212_134941.thumb.jpg.05b4841ccf9e82d203123c53a7564ba6.jpg

Then three t20 screws and out it pops.

20230212_134920.thumb.jpg.4a2719d110e13fe843c0f58e2b4034fc.jpg

New light is shiny :)

20230212_134903.thumb.jpg.7895f2b7e823cc79b0667c22e56e7eef.jpg

Clip, unclipped surprisingly well and new unit attached and tested.

20230212_134853.thumb.jpg.1f58eadf7ef10402f68bfdf3584593d5.jpg

Then screw back in place and put the bezel back.

20230212_134820.thumb.jpg.eacd591fd4eb26c263ec79fdf5b89d99.jpg

Then do the other side.

20230212_134037.thumb.jpg.9adb0807efb419949cbbb5d664e3b301.jpg

Piss easy, but satisfying that I've slightly improved it.

Next up spreading silicone in a cack fisted way, all over the roof :)

• Cookiesouwest changed the title to Improved, slightly - Cookie's adventures in shiteing

The tracking needs to be set by someone who understands Disco's,using decent kit and knows that the steering wheel and steering angle sensor Have to be spot on 1st.

Did I read something about brake light bulbs? If you've replaced them they need to a good quality brand,or even dealer supplied as a "inferior " bulb can send the canbus into a meltdown.

Same goes for the brake light switch on the pedal,any variance on voltage can cause any and all of the issues on these.

20 minutes ago, andy18s said:

The tracking needs to be set by someone who understands Disco's,using decent kit and knows that the steering wheel and steering angle sensor Have to be spot on 1st.

Did I read something about brake light bulbs? If you've replaced them they need to a good quality brand,or even dealer supplied as a "inferior " bulb can send the canbus into a meltdown.

Same goes for the brake light switch on the pedal,any variance on voltage can cause any and all of the issues on these.

Canbus meltdown was due to an end of life battery. Now replaced.

Suspension fault is intermittent. Likely to be a sensor. 

Still not sure why a steering sensor makes the suspension drop overnight, but garage assure me they can. The suspension has been checked in live data  and everything is working as it should. 

Saw this the other day and found it interesting. 

Basically it'll wake up every few hours when off to level the car. As it won't run the compressor, it'll let air out of the highest to make it the same level as the lowest. Hence if there is a leak in one corner, it will self adjust overnight until all corners will be on bump stops or where the leaking bag is low enough to "self seal".

1011306493_Periodicwake-upmode.thumb.jpg.9d1ad50ea9c5a87bca14174f4ba9a867.jpg

I don't know how a steering angle sensor could cause a level drop overnight either. Only thing I can think of is if it's failed completely then the ESP system will be in fault. Then the suspension system won't be getting data from the ABS and be in a fault condition itself. 

Okay another quick bit of googling says the steering angle is a module rather than a sensor into the ABS. So I can see if it stops talking on the CAN bus, everything starts to tizzy up and the whole party gets shutdown. Suspension module then goes into fail safe mode.

I mean one module stopping talking shouldn't cause everything to shut down but then this is a RR.  

2 hours ago, SiC said:

Okay another quick bit of googling says the steering angle is a module rather than a sensor into the ABS. So I can see if it stops talking on the CAN bus, everything starts to tizzy up and the whole party gets shutdown. Suspension module then goes into fail safe mode.

I mean one module stopping talking shouldn't cause everything to shut down but then this is a RR.  

Thank you. I now understand and more importantly it means the garage are not bull shi**ing.

• 2 weeks later...