HFM small autos - Cookie's adventures in shiteing

Cookiesouwest

Been perusing Autotrader

I like this. Management will not.

Screenshot_20220907-205333_eBay.thumb.jpg.e2d436495c0611d1c105b36705606609.jpg

I also like this, but not really any good for family duties.

179913200_Screenshot_20220907-211752_AutoTrader.thumb.jpg.95788c5930bbecb84bc709f60c9eed3d.jpg

I like this. Slightly better for family duties, but probably still not acceptable.

926895044_Screenshot_20220907-210852_AutoTrader.thumb.jpg.7895d003f4068daff6c6bb678da38834.jpg

And so far, the winner is this. Big mileage at 170k. 

Management loves chrome bull bars and large spot lights. This makes it a winner.

Sadly its 75 miles away in Warwick and likely to be gone by the weekend.

1195810995_Screenshot_20220907-210838_AutoTrader.thumb.jpg.2335e7fa42085dcfd23c0da84f03df06.jpg

Audi update - the rear windows don't work on the rear switches.

They do work from the drivers front switch pack. I suspect the lock button for the rear windows on the switch pack is knackered so the rear window switches are locked out.

Even though the audi will be leaving the fleet soon, I've ordered a new switch pack.

Pick up hunting - Management has now seen a Nissan Pathfinder in the metal. Its been added to the list.

4 hours ago, Cookiesouwest said:

Pick up hunting - Management has now seen a Nissan Pathfinder in the metal. Its been added to the list.

I was looking at them for my wife as she wanted “a Navara with a boot” but got put off as they are £615 to tax post 2006 compared to about £300 for the Navara equivalent as they aren’t a commercial vehicle.

4 hours ago, GMcD said:

I was looking at them for my wife as she wanted “a Navara with a boot” but got put off as they are £615 to tax post 2006 compared to about £300 for the Navara equivalent as they aren’t a commercial vehicle.

Independent rear suspension as well instead of the old cart springs, you might want to go over the chassis very closely though if it became a proper contender.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. Pick ups are off the table. Insurance is 3 times what management pay for an SUV.

As per another thread, I've been looking at Land Rovers. Specifically Freelander 2s or LR2 as they are also known.

Below is a copy and paste from my LR thread.

Looked at a few LR2s yesterday.

It confirmed that Management really likes them, as long as they are in the right colour.

Also confirms that management is freaking out at spending so much money. I confess I am a little nervous too. I mean its a LR.

So I'm going to look for a free LR2. Free as in man maths is being used. Weirdly Management has signed up to my man maths. Which is a first.

High mileage LR2s can be bought for between 2k and 3k. By high mileage, I mean 180k plus.

My Audi is up for sale and once an LR2 joins the fleet, the Mk2 CRV can go. Even a numpty like me, who writes really negative sale ads, can manage to get at least 2k for both the cars.

Which would make the LR2 free or nearly free.

Management wont worry about scratching it or being in debt and if she really likes a tired high mileage example, at a later date, I can get her a better one, once she stops stressing about having a loan.

Hoping to see this one today.

190k. Wants 2.2k for it.

Screenshot_20220925-083935_eBay.thumb.jpg.668488a8eb7231eb1c7ab727c50c6e8a.jpg

• Cookiesouwest changed the title to Hunting a free Land Rover. Using man maths - Cookie's adventures in shiteing
18 minutes ago, Cookiesouwest said:

Ok. Pick ups are off the table. Insurance is 3 times what management pay for an SUV.

As per another thread, I've been looking at Land Rovers. Specifically Freelander 2s or LR2 as they are also known.

It confirmed that Management really likes them, as long as they are in the right colour.

Also confirms that management is freaking out at spending so much money. I confess I am a little nervous too. I mean its a LR.

So I'm going to look for a free LR2. Free as in man maths is being used. Weirdly Management has signed up to my man maths. Which is a first.

High mileage LR2s can be bought for between 2k and 3k. By high mileage, I mean 180k plus.

My Audi is up for sale and once an LR2 joins the fleet, the Mk2 CRV can go. Even a numpty like me, who writes really negative sale ads, can manage to get at least 2k for both the cars.

Management wont worry about scratching it or being in debt and if she really likes a tired high mileage example, at a later date, I can get her a better one, once she stops stressing about having a loan.

190k. Wants 2.2k for it.

How did you get on with the one in Hallatrow?

54 minutes ago, Cookiesouwest said:

190k. Wants 2.2k for it.

Last owner changed in 2009, that’s a very good sign it’s been owned that long. If you can get it for £2k it sounds a good deal. Just check the DMF isn’t rattling. These are belt driven IIRC so obviously make sure it’s had a belt change. They do have big intervals but at 190k it should obviously have had one.

Land rover hunting continues.

Audi leaves fleet next weekend.

CRV will then be up next for fleet reduction, once a LR arrives.

Did go and look at a Disco 3 today. Then my brain kicked in and I walked away.

Also went to see a FL2. Management likes it, so its a contender, even though I'm not keen on it, as its been dicked about with.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Cookiesouwest changed the title to Low cost, high liability - Cookie's adventures in shiteing

1st commute this morning for Management.

She loves it.

Fuel economy is, as expected  quite shite on a short trip.

1st fault (possibly). She was reversing and forgot about the electronic handbrake. The handbrake made no difference, so I suspect it might need some fettling before MOT.

2nd Fault. Unable to turn off the parking sensor warning button. It worked yesterday.

3rd kinda fault. The bonnet struts kinda work, but are not that strutty.

4th issue. The fuel cap is an aftermarket very shite one. 

In the plus column, rear brake light issue resolved and new side light bulb installed, so she now has a full compliment of working lights.

All in all, I'm taking it as a win.

As its the same engine as in the Jaguar S type( which I owned and then gave my father) the electronic handbrake automatically comes on when you turn the car off-It should show the handbrake sign on the dash, Also pulling away will automatically disengage when a load is found on the engine.

Good luck looks a lovely vehicle.

8 hours ago, horriblemercedes said:

When I had one of these (well, mine was a 4), I'm sure it released the parking brake if you wanted to go. You didn't have to turn it off yourself

I could be wrong now, but a better test would be whether it holds the car in neutral on a slope

Good point. Need to test it but think you are right.

And on the 6th day, the Land Rover gods said 'Six days of trouble free motoring is enough'

And so, she had an early appointment for two front tyres.

Would she start. Would she feck. Much swearing and many cranks later, she spluttered into life.

She made it.

20221029_083635.thumb.jpg.9fbdf12b8629729f6d48133fd2f56d84.jpg

Very worried she won't start again when they have finished.

She started and drove home.

The tyres are a lot better than what was on before.

20221029_094758.thumb.jpg.871042197c7a3fb102bba57a6cbcc740.jpg

Being the kind soul I am, I decided to transfer the CDs from the Honda to the Disco.

Selected CD and it would not accept any CDs. Plus it turns out 4 of the 5  CD buttons are broken.

20221029_112152.thumb.jpg.328ecf658b5b0c81a39fb18b6663289d.jpg

More annoyingly, it won't switch back to Radio.

Even when ignition has been switched off.

6 hrs to Hexham on Thursday, with no tunes :(

1 hour ago, Cookiesouwest said:

She started and drove home.

The tyres are a lot better than what was on before.

20221029_094758.thumb.jpg.871042197c7a3fb102bba57a6cbcc740.jpg

Being the kind soul I am, I decided to transfer the CDs from the Honda to the Disco.

Selected CD and it would not accept any CDs. Plus it turns out 4 of the 5  CD buttons are broken.

20221029_112152.thumb.jpg.328ecf658b5b0c81a39fb18b6663289d.jpg

More annoyingly, it won't switch back to Radio.

Even when ignition has been switched off.

6 hrs to Hexham on Thursday, with no tunes :(

Does it not have any steering wheel controls?