HFM small autos - Cookie's adventures in shiteing

Cookiesouwest

The vectra - an update

New stat and housing fitted yesterday. The car now warms up nicely.

But now it gets too warm. Garage reported that the radiator cooling fan module is knackered. The only way to get the fan to kick in, is drive with the aircon on, which overrides the module and makes the fan work.

From one extreme to another :)

• 2 weeks later...

Headlight Restoration - The lazy way

Today I decided to try and restore the headlights on the Vectra. As I am essentially a bit lazy and last time I used a power drill on Mrs C's CRV I melted the headlight (it buffed out - kind of ;) ), I decided to use this

20200311_154624.thumb.jpg.a25f69ac797205c4ecb20b4e6f7fbbb4.jpg

Had reasonably good reviews and figured it would be quick. Better than getting RSI from a power drill anyway.

1  Prep lights

Give them a wash and mask paintwork

20200311_141902.thumb.jpg.c9565772dcc8bfbc5b09471f82cfdcbe.jpg

20200311_141908.thumb.jpg.dbddaff63893df8af36d6c3d101050d7.jpg

2. Use the wipe with the nasty chemicals in it. Wore latex gloves. Hour later hands still sting. Useful lesson. The chemicals are very nasty and cheap latex gloves are not thick enough.

Keep wiping till the wipe is dry and no longer picking up residue from lights.

Stand back and check lights

20200311_143237.thumb.jpg.0fb38f02f45724aa3531a08a84d477f8.jpg

20200311_143242.thumb.jpg.3bce09aee86e356f8baec18356af7552.jpg

3 At this point they look worse than they did before! Decided to continue anyway

Wiped them dry and then added sealant wipe. 

20200311_143912.thumb.jpg.ec1248c38048f9b9dbe03b2e30e1e37f.jpg

20200311_143918.thumb.jpg.cbab2aa18d61ec39954da11a520f189f.jpg

4 All done

Except the OSF looks worse than when  I started, the NSF about the same. This was after an hour

20200311_154653.thumb.jpg.e784ff7de5a863248159d38424eb3862.jpg

20200311_154700.thumb.jpg.e5426fe8a43914bd58cceefd7a93810c.jpg

Conclusion

Stop being a lazy bastard and do it properly. Wet and dry and power tools.

Glad I tried it, but not impressed with results.

1 hour ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Might it be entirely possible that some of the staining and deterioration is on the inside of the lens, not just the outside?

Nah, that's just lacquer peel, the clear-coat they put on the plastic has broken down with age and UV. Bren's approach is the best.

3 hours ago, Cookiesouwest said:

Well I def need a new plan. This is what they look like now. The cleaning wipes have just made them look terrible.

20200312_121353.thumb.jpg.3376d568689b099e7fb49c94dc184355.jpg

20200312_121400.thumb.jpg.efc2c03ff7bb9e675163f0e8890a7d66.jpg

They need a lot more rubbing down, the original UV protection coating needs to be completely removed. That's why your lamps are blotchy.

I've ordered a new light restoration kit, so weather permitting, will have another attempt this weekend.

Rant (mild one) - my vectra has a knackered radiator cooling fan control module. It's old (although to me, seems very new and modern), so the part is NLA - except two SAAB spares stores in USA, but they are ignoring my emails.

So I have resorted to mailing scrappies. Despite having lots of Vectra C 1.8 CVT being broken (all of which had the part fitted at factory), none of them have one.

Either the part is like a gilded bloody unicorn and they have a waiting list for them, or they cant be arsed to unbolt/unplug it from the back of the radiator :(

I will continue running with the air con on, till I hunt down the part.

You might have phoned them already....

Phone Yate car breakers. Ask if they have a vectra in. Turn up with tools and ask the old boy if you can have a rummage. If you look like you know what you are doing and are polite he might/will let you in. Last time I was there was last year and  was looking at focus stuff so did not register anything else.

6 minutes ago, Bren said:

Have you contacted autovaux or joined the vectra c forum? Somebody may be able to help you out.

I'm on the vectra c fb group. Did ask but no response. I suspect a lot of people are looking for the same part. It's not mega urgent, but would like to get it fixed at some point. I think autovaux was one of the companies I contacted. No luck.

Twitchy curtains.

Following the disastrous attempt to polish the vectra's headlights, I bought a proper kit. Don't have off street parking. Went out to car and started to mask off, ready to start the job. Lots of twitchy curtains and a couple of 'tut tuts' from people out walking. Clearly restoring headlights is not deemed a necessary reason to leave the house.

Will move the car to a more quiet location - local farm lane that is not in use - and start again, sometime in the week ahead.

Found a breaker who has the part needed to make the rad cooling fans work :) part should arrive next week

Since the HRV left, it's not been replaced, due to being outbid, being too slow, oh and the covid 19 lock down. Have found a mk4 astra convertible that is within walking distance - a VERY long walk - locally. Quite tempted if I can get price down a bit. Dealer has had it for a month, so hoping he is open to an offer. Will find out Tuesday.

On 3/12/2020 at 3:33 PM, stonedagain said:

They need a lot more rubbing down, the original UV protection coating needs to be completely removed. That's why your lamps are blotchy.

Polishing is easy, as above t cut or almost anything can get them shiny, it's the uv sealant that's key. 

5 hours ago, cort1977 said:

Polishing is easy, as above t cut or almost anything can get them shiny, it's the uv sealant that's key. 

The kit I have is for both lights, but I'm going to use it all on one, so I can make sure I get all the old sealant off and have enough new sealant to put on.

Just had a chat with the seller of car I am interested in.

Plus points - two owners from new. Seller has had it 5 weeks (his Mrs as ordered him to sell it - don't think he had permission to buy it - naughty and basic error). Previous owner for 20 years. Ordered by owner when working abroad in the country of manufacture and specified right hand drive as he wanted to bring it home. History and had new water pump few days before current owner purchased it.

Couple of small rust spots on bonnet, giffer mark on rear bumper. All electrics work - apparently.

Needs oil change in approx a month. 164k on clock. Bit of a knocking sound when pulling away (maybe engine or sub frame mounts ??).

Social distancing rules for test drive discussed.

Seller indicated some wiggle room in price.

So I have just booked tomorrow off work. Now working out best way of getting there (very long walk / lift / public transport))

Edit - am having second thought, as it's not an essential purchase. Will sleep on it. Maybe see if seller will take small deposit to hold till this all blows over

On 3/17/2020 at 8:32 AM, Cookiesouwest said:

I've ordered a new light restoration kit, so weather permitting, will have another attempt this weekend.

Rant (mild one) - my vectra has a knackered radiator cooling fan control module. It's old (although to me, seems very new and modern), so the part is NLA - except two SAAB spares stores in USA, but they are ignoring my emails.

So I have resorted to mailing scrappies. Despite having lots of Vectra C 1.8 CVT being broken (all of which had the part fitted at factory), none of them have one.

Either the part is like a gilded bloody unicorn and they have a waiting list for them, or they cant be arsed to unbolt/unplug it from the back of the radiator :(

I will continue running with the air con on, till I hunt down the part.

If the replacement bit you've ordered turns out to be DOA/incorrect you could try fixing the one you've got; @cobblers may be able to mend it for you.

3 hours ago, somewhatfoolish said:

If the replacement bit you've ordered turns out to be DOA/incorrect you could try fixing the one you've got; @cobblers may be able to mend it for you.

Thanks. Will bare that in mind. Did find a scrappy willing to post part, but he has gone radio silent since Monday. Also found a guy in Dorset who has one, but it's a 50 mile drive. Not wise in current climate. Gonna wait till lockdown in over.

43 minutes ago, Cookiesouwest said:

Long walk

Bit of an understatement there then!

Trains are still running and seem to be completely deserted.. Bike to a station and take it with you to get there perhaps?  depends if there are stations anywhere near you or where you need to get to.

Sadly no train station near me or seller. We both live in the sticks. Chatting to him tonight. If he wont take deposit and hold it, I will have to gird my loins and run the roadblock risk, plus wraith of those who rightly say non essential travel is irresponsible at the moment.