HFM small autos - Cookie's adventures in shiteing

Cookiesouwest

The new to me CRV was sent to the garage today for investigation.

Soft brake pedal - probably due to having next to no brake pads, front and rear. Feel a bit of a twonk for not checking them :(

Mettalic scraping noise and burning smell - All pulleys seem ok, except alternator tensioner with very slight play. Told them to bung a new pulley and belt on.

This afternoon, they can hopefully inspect Mrs CSWs CRV, which in a fit of sympathy with its sibling has developed a very loud squeal from the engine bay and is running like a bag of spanners to quote Mrs CSW.

My bill - 358 quids

It might be an expensive day.

Gotta love chod :)

Update from Wednesday. Better late than never.

My CRV - New pads front and rear. Plus new sliders for front Calipers, as they were beyond saving. Serpentine belt frayed, so replaced. 

Tensioner not replaced yet - see below.

Mrs CSW CRV - oil and filter done. Serpentine belt badly frayed. Lots of movement in tensioner pulley.

They could only get one tensioner. Two cars on ramp needing same part.

As happy wife equals happy life, told them to fix Mrs CSW's car. Mine to go back next Thursday.

Mrs CSW happy, as her car no longer squeals :)

Mine still smells of burning, when giving it the beans.

Bill

Mine - £260

Hers (well mine, cause I paid it) - £296.40.

An expensive week.

What are the chances of two CRVs needing a tensioner at the same time?

Suzi - half a tank of V Power and her hiccup problem improved. But last night it came back. Bottle of Wynns Cat Cleaner put in tank. Accelerates more sprightly and hiccups reduced.

Will see if its a permanent solution or more investigation needed at a later date.

Audrey - She has managed to start twice this week, without the need for a jump pack. She seems to be behaving at the mo :)

Shirley - Only car in the fleet that is behaving. And I'm selling her lol

20210425_120420.thumb.jpg.f66ad14f29969f65a40220f9a574ae91.jpg

• Cookiesouwest changed the title to Mouth breathers :( - Cookie's adventures in shiteing
Just now, Cookiesouwest said:

Some distance away.

Haha. Just immediately demand a better offer because  of the distance. If Facebook and gumtree has taught me anything the more distance travelled relates directly to the price of the vehicle.

Fuck it, take the long way round and you might end up with a few grand. 

Seriously though good luck with it. Hopefully if the weather keeps up it might attract at least one normal person.

I've often wondered if pricing it at £995 might be better. People seem to like a discount for no obvious reason.

See exhibit 1 below. (Proven fact)

20210601_192402.jpg

1 minute ago, Agila said:

Haha. Just immediately demand a better offer because  of the distance. If Facebook and gumtree has taught me anything the more distance travelled relates directly to the price of the vehicle.

Fuck it, take the long way round and you might end up with a few grand. 

Seriously though good luck with it. Hopefully if the weather keeps up it might attract at least one normal person.

I've often wondered if pricing it at £995 might be better. People seem to like a discount for no obvious reason.

See exhibit 1 below. (Proven fact)

20210601_192402.jpg

Thanks. Might take add down for a week, then put for higher. Although the roffle may eventually reach a conclusion. Fingers crossed.

9 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Cash is a pain in the arse to me as I can't easily keep track of spending it. So I have to schlep to my nearest * branch to pay it in who helpfully open from 10am to 2pm Monday to Friday. Convenient* for everyone who works during the day.

I much prefer bank transfer in person now.

Especially on a cheap car don’t whatever you do accept bank transfer unless you have some sort of signed receipt stating how it’s been paid etc. There’s nothing to stop the shitehawks from finding something wrong with the car then going bitching to the bank that they’ve been defrauded and then opening a beneficiary fraud case against you. 

Another favourite trick is agreeing a price then turning up with not quite enough money and expecting you’ll be generous enough to knock it off. 

After trying to sell a cheap car you’ll almost certainly buy into the concept of some sort of forced sterilisation program for stupid people.