HFM small autos - Cookie's adventures in shiteing

Cookiesouwest

19 minutes ago, bunglebus said:

Same old same old. VWs have had problems with the lock mechanisms for years - I think 3 out of the 4 on my Passat are faulty in one way or another, and the Lupo refuses to operate the interior light/lights on buzzer despite not even having central locking. It's only a microswitch that fails but it's easier to get pattern locks for £25 a pop off eBay 

Thanks. Interior lights don't work either.

Will get a cheapo pattern part as suggested.

• 3 weeks later...

So, when the bug was delivered, it wasn't idling quite right and was chucking a lot of crap out the exhaust.

Also a few pops from the exhaust that made me think fuel was combusting in the exhaust system.

As with all things in my life, I've only just got round to looking into it, as the car doesn't get much use, so not top priority 

Car went off to garage two weeks ago, to be looked at between jobs.

Plugged in and no error codes. Test drive by mechanic confirmed that I wasn't imagining the pops and bangs from the exhaust.

MAF disabled and no difference 

A week of head scratching and car finally went on ramp this morning.

Aftermarket cat (no biggy), plus an emissions cheat device found attached to exhaust.

Off to the garage later to find out how much its going to cost to put right.

I may just throw towel in, take the loss and roffle it for a tenner a shot.

• Cookiesouwest changed the title to The dirty cheating beetle - Cookie's adventures in shiteing

Back from the garage.

The excellent* after market cat fitted to the car, is not up to the job iro emissions, so one of these (or a generic version) has been fitted to con the EML.

Screenshot_20211019-170332_Chrome.thumb.jpg.973054a5897d43ee78733ba9e3d35832.jpg

Garage verdict, is car will need a new cat as old one clearly not up to job originally, plus the amount of unburnt fuel being throw down the exhaust system will be doing it no favours.

Didn't discuss price, as need to ponder the bugs fate.

1 hour ago, Cookiesouwest said:

Back from the garage.

The excellent* after market cat fitted to the car, is not up to the job iro emissions, so one of these (or a generic version) has been fitted to con the EML.

Screenshot_20211019-170332_Chrome.thumb.jpg.973054a5897d43ee78733ba9e3d35832.jpg

Garage verdict, is car will need a new cat as old one clearly not up to job originally, plus the amount of unburnt fuel being throw down the exhaust system will be doing it no favours.

What does that little gadget do?

No idea on the cost of a cat but they're not hard to fit generally. I would suggest 2nd hand but they're probably a) stolen or 2) weighed in as soon as they arrive at the yard

27 minutes ago, bunglebus said:

What does that little gadget do?

No idea on the cost of a cat but they're not hard to fit generally. I would suggest 2nd hand but they're probably a) stolen or 2) weighed in as soon as they arrive at the yard

The device moves the lambda sensor into cleaner air, so ECU thinks emissions are ok.

Thats a shame, i quite like this bug. It seemed to drive spot on when i borrowed it and fixed fixed the rear window. 

It drove much more smoothly than i expected, But with the seating position and size of the car with the roof down i felt like i was sat on the bog inside a giant bathtub! 

Back from the garage.

The exact thing has been fitted to my Beetle as well. As well as an aftermarket cat.It passed it MOT last year with it fitted. The mot is up in December so fingers crossed.

Sent from my SM-A127F using Tapatalk

33 minutes ago, Andyrew said:

Thats a shame, i quite like this bug. It seemed to drive spot on when i borrowed it and fixed fixed the rear window. 

It drove much more smoothly than i expected, But with the seating position and size of the car with the roof down i felt like i was sat on the bog inside a giant bathtub! 

It drives spot on. No complaints.

Just need to get it running fine, so its not chucking so much fuel down the exhaust.

I know what you mean about the driving position :)

14 minutes ago, doug said:

The exact thing has been fitted to my Beetle as well. As well as an aftermarket cat.It passed it MOT last year with it fitted. The mot is up in December so fingers crossed.

Sent from my SM-A127F using Tapatalk

Unfortunately on mine, the price for getting the emissions ok, is it running very rich.

Mondeo in garage for a new thermostat today. Needle has been dropping on long downhill stretches.

Why does nearly every car I buy, need a bloody thermostat?

May also explain the 33mpg brim to brim !!! My CRV petrol achieves more.

Decision taken on the beetle too. We both like driving it, but Mrs CSW can't park it to save her life, as she can't see the corners and gets anxious she's gonna dent it.

So it will be roffled shortly at a knock down price, while I look for the squarest car I can find, with a spoiler and twin headlights.

I probably should restore her ZS180, but I fear the cost would be prohibitive.

What she use to look like

20170225_090748.thumb.jpg.dd2539522bc1c8cbcdfd1d37e26de82e.jpg

How she looks now after 4 yrs off the road

20200831_132216.thumb.jpg.53363bef14dfc5c7cc7dc573d4695eed.jpg

• Cookiesouwest changed the title to Fleet update, garage trip and roffling - Cookie's adventures in shiteing

So the Beetle is up for roffle.

Rhonda the Honda is in my bad (ish) books as she failed her MOT yesterday.

Screenshot_20211103-090159_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8f3b345c3afdb73fa49b8c2b4358de5b.jpg

I've instructed the garage to sort all the suspension issues, so I get a MOT with two advisories for headlights. Then she is off to the Romanians for a headlight polish and full valet. Then at end of month, hopefully with appalling weather :), she goes up for sale.

• Cookiesouwest changed the title to Rhonda fails her MOT - Cookie's adventures in shiteing
Just now, sickboy said:

Good investment that ZS180, especially in that yellow. Seems amazing cars like that are being restored now, I still think of them as "new" cars, but they're 21 years old now! 

I suspect she's worth more than I paid for her 4 yrs ago, but she does need a lot of work.

If I keep her on the drive for long enough, she might be worth restoring.

Her bonnet latches are rusted solid, so I can't get into the bay, to charge / replace battery, to at least get her running :)

What next?

The beetle has been provisionally sold and next up will be the CRV. Needs headlights polished and a valet, then it will be up for sale at end of month.

This will leave Mrs CSW's CRV and my mundano on fleet.

Only two cars (plus the ZS180 thats been parked up for 4 yrs).

I can't remember when I only had two functioning cars in the fleet. 

That will never do.

I've been thinking about what car I have previously had and really liked. Liked enough to want another.

And the answer is a mk1 focus.

Prices are rising for the few that haven't rusted away. Just spent a couple of hours perusing internet ads and bloody hell, they have gone up in price.

So I need to act before the full Ford scene tax kicks in and they become unaffordable for my meagre shitters budget.

• Cookiesouwest changed the title to Cookie's adventures in shiteing - the next purchase
7 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

That ZS is worth a bit due to it being a very early one. Not many MG Zs on a Y plate.

118th ZS off the production line

105th ZS180 off the line 

72nd Trophy Yellow off the line.

So yep, a pretty early one.

Which is why I haven't had the heart to bridge it.

5 minutes ago, KitKat said:

What's actually wrong the ZS, besides bonnet hinges being rusted and the flat battery? 

From memory

Shocks are knackered. New ones NLA but I've got a good set of used ones.

Drivers seat base loose, probably due to rust. Also slide mechanism broken.

One key, that only fits in ignition barrel, so ideally needs a new lock set.

Well past its cambelt / pump interval.

All 4 alloys don't hold air and need refurb or replacement.

Probably a few other minor things I've forgotten, plus 4 yrs of rusting to be dealt with.

All in all, not a big list. Just never seem to have the time and I spend all my spare cash on chod :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Cookiesouwest changed the title to Cookie's adventures in shiteing - The wrong car
  • 1 month later...

I'm on a chod ban, but I'm hoping its lifted soon.

Because this has caught my eye.

Better get my arse in gear and get the CRV and Mondeo ready for new owners.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000-Mercedes-Benz-E-Class-E240-ELEGANCE-5-DOOR-TIP-AUTO-2-6-ESTATE-Petrol-Aut-/224604732101?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

I mustered some enthusiasm today.

Decided to change the pollen filters on Mrs CSW CRV, as the car was taking ages to demist and had damp in the air.

First off locate glovebox. An easy task, even for me.

20220114_124934.thumb.jpg.f706158c039ae211b751cd60e6412ef8.jpg

Open glovebox and remove the bump stops on each side. No tools required, which I like.

20220114_124954.thumb.jpg.7902cd72da76891442d6a97da77d6474.jpg

This allows the glovebox to fully open and gives access to the filter housing.

20220114_125000.thumb.jpg.3e09126f9d8b2e3cdb881b1c4c11db07.jpg

20220114_125044.thumb.jpg.c976714ed8c12632caaf1bc524766ace.jpg

Remove the cover, again no tools needed.

20220114_125054.thumb.jpg.bf61b716b0bb6faf623b82c0ab0c659f.jpg

And pull out the first filter.

20220114_125149.thumb.jpg.3aee9d000fdb2c240980afb4162a9ef8.jpg

Then the second filter slides to the right and can also be carefully* removed.

The filters were not as dirty as I expected.

20220114_125257.thumb.jpg.544c4675f2bf97212955ca9f7de2f760.jpg

Replaced with some supplied by local motor factors.

20220114_125531.thumb.jpg.0caeada8277e1957ee13e13d264890b1.jpg

And as the great book of HBOL says, refitting is a reversal of removal.

Flushed with success, I decided to change the filters on my CRV.

Glad I did.

20220114_131704.thumb.jpg.aa92e9c2f777ae382b6d0edf6f10482b.jpg

Because they were minging !

Now on a roll, I decided to replace the knackered hi beam bulb.

Access is snug.

20220114_132831.thumb.jpg.eb2752c552685fcbf4a3eddca99dcb55.jpg

A little bit of swearing and all done.

Lights were tested. It was then I realised that I had just replaced the wrong bulb. Because I am a plonker.

Sadly the drivers side bulb is a bastard to get at due to a well* located aircon pipe.

But I manfully got on with the job, boatloads of swearing and in no time* at all, it was done.

Still does not work :(

Either new bulb was shite, or I have a bigger problem.

Now off to Google, how to remove headlight units, so I can get a better look. With my luck, it will be bumper off job. Dont fancy that at current temperature of -1.