Big Fat German Bird joins the fleet - Cookie's adventures in shiteing

Cookiesouwest

15 hours ago, Cookiesouwest said:

Thermostat stuck open - 3rd car in a row that I've bought lol

I have quite a thing for buying cars with duff thermostats. Either that or simply people don't notice that they're fault - including my parents! A good 80% I've bought have needed one immediately or a few hundred miles after purchase. 

12 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Bit big for a kei car as I recall, though oddly they did do a kei-reg version which was pretty much exactly the same, but shrunk down a little! The Wagon R/Agila we saw were based on the Wagon R Wide. 

I know I'm not exactly describing it correctly as a Kei car, but its the nearest I will get to owning an actual one.

2 hours ago, SiC said:

I have quite a thing for buying cars with duff thermostats. Either that or simply people don't notice that they're fault - including my parents! A good 80% I've bought have needed one immediately or a few hundred miles after purchase. 

I'm glad I'm not alone. Only noticed when driving home down a long hill and temp gauge dropped back to zero

32 minutes ago, Cookiesouwest said:

I'm glad I'm not alone. Only noticed when driving home down a long hill and temp gauge dropped back to zero

I genuinely believe that your average motorist thinks that the car not holding a steady temp and the heater not working is a reason to move it on. My Punto, Panda and Golf all had stuck stats when I bought them, as did my Leon. That was a four hour job to fix though!

If previous experience with Ford's is anything to go by, the hesitation is probably linked to the fault with the outside temperature display.

The Focus I had, it was a sensor fault - replaced the outside temp sensor and it fixed the running issues. Might not be the same, but worth a look.

Shirley the disastra had a new set of front tyres today. Kormorans. Decent mid range tyre.

20210317_160328.thumb.jpg.d28e9a4fd0b9d8e9fd21a14c2d60565c.jpg

20210317_160342.thumb.jpg.4c347300bc1607541765095b3fa070df.jpg

Fitter advised that the Chinese death rings on the back, were past their best, 8 yrs old and rock hard and one has a slow leak. 

So next Tuesday, she goes back for two more tyres. This may resolve the squirrily handling on worn tarmac.

Due to spending an unexpected 430 quid on her this month, I've decided to keep her on fleet for a bit longer. She was promised to a member of this parish, and I've apologised to him. Just can't justify spending more than 50% of what she was going to sell for, without getting some use out of her.

Suzy the Suzuki.

Pez shot

20210317_211048.thumb.jpg.1c536e91c16855e40e15efd4e515820e.jpg

She is fun to drive. Very chuckable. 

Thermostat should turn up tomorrow.

Still a bit of hesitation on slight throttle. Italian tune up did not improve the issue. On full throttle she is fine, so will just have to drive her with foot to floor ALA Mrs CSW driving style.

Audrey the R75. Hoping to have her back Friday

• Cookiesouwest changed the title to Shirley, Suzi and Audrey - Cookie's adventures in shiteing

So when buying a car, there are a few basic checks to perform.

Lights, tyres, interior electrics, oil cap, coolant, dip stick.

Then see if it drives OK.

I did all of these bar one.

Went out today, to see how easy the thermostat would be. Thought I better check the one thing I had forgotten.

20210320_144149.thumb.jpg.39b80bace521363dd49183f91bd5f08c.jpg

20210320_144152.thumb.jpg.3dc78527b8b95dada2d2754233141c44.jpg

Now I like mayo. On my chips, not in the engine.

Coolant is clear, doesn't seem to have lost any and no mayo on end of dipstick.

So. Three scenarios.

1) Previous giffer owner, did short journeys with a non functioning thermostat and the oil in the top of the engine has emulsified.

2) It had a head gasket failure recently, got fixed but oil wasn't flushed.

3) OMGHGF

I'm obviously hoping 1) or 2) but expecting 3).

Think I need to buy a sniff test kit before spending anything else on the motor.

Note to self- NEVER forget the basic checks.

• Cookiesouwest changed the title to Do you want Mayo with your chips - Cookie's adventures in shiteing
59 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

Looking at the cams and screws holding them on, it appears to be a GM unit. If so, that mayo is entirely normal for them. My Corsa was way worse than that when it was in daily use.

I'd recommend taking the rocker cover off and cleaning under it with a paper towel as well.

This one has the Z12XEP. GM 1.2 twinport engine.

She barrels along quite nicely. Mind you she doesn't weigh anything. 

1 hour ago, Split_Pin said:

Looking at the cams and screws holding them on, it appears to be a GM unit. If so, that mayo is entirely normal for them. My Corsa was way worse than that when it was in daily use.

I'd recommend taking the rocker cover off and cleaning under it with a paper towel as well.

Oh and she will be brought round to yours one evening, so you can laugh at it and take it for a spin.