HFM small autos - Cookie's adventures in shiteing

Cookiesouwest

1 minute ago, Cookiesouwest said:

Well I've just looked at its mot history. Which I should have done before getting mildly excited.

These are the advisories.

Screenshot_20220605-102634_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ff3c5e13568174e702f545fde5e281a9.jpg

Its being sold by a scrappie (if his other ads are anything to go by).

Needs a bit of sparkly stick, brake pipes, two tyres, fuel pipes, two springs and oil leak and eml investigated.

Previous MOTs for last 3 years show similar evidence of not being cared for.

Don't want a money pit motor, even at 950. Gonna pass and pursue the R8, if they still have it.

Ah .......

Well I've done a buy.

Not exactly choddy in nature. More a replacement for the mondeo and CRV.

Bought in torrential rain, cause its well known you should look at cars in the rain.

But the current owner is a very trustworthy member of this forum, so all will be well.

Needs a few things, current owner has given me a short list.

Hopefully picking up this weekend.

Better get off my arse and get the Mondy and CRV ready for sale.

Non chod acquired from @SiC. A gent and honest seller. Would buy from again.

Thanks to @andyberg for logistics.

Didn't do a collection thread, as it was 20 miles and 40 mins down the road.

Traditional Wollard shot

20220612_164030.thumb.jpg.9b4c4827f780b705c55436e730c393d4.jpg

Traditional Dizzle shot

20220612_164525.thumb.jpg.b32cbf35c4d74e98ffc831982cfd0a02.jpg

Can highly recommend the valeting skills of @purplebargeken :)

Mondy and CRV can now leave the fleet.

• Cookiesouwest changed the title to New to me non chod acquired - Cookie's adventures in shiteing
4 minutes ago, Cookiesouwest said:

Non chod acquired from @SiC. A gent and honest seller. Would buy from again.

Thanks to @andyberg for logistics.

Didn't do a collection thread, as it was 20 miles and 40 mins down the road.

Traditional Wollard shot

20220612_164030.thumb.jpg.9b4c4827f780b705c55436e730c393d4.jpg

Traditional Dizzle shot

20220612_164525.thumb.jpg.b32cbf35c4d74e98ffc831982cfd0a02.jpg

Can highly recommend the valeting skills of @purplebargeken :)

Mondy and CRV can now leave the fleet.

Pleasure mate. Seems a nice drive and looks nice, for an Audi.

2 minutes ago, andyberg said:

Pleasure mate. Seems a nice drive and looks nice, for an Audi.

The Mrs approves. Black, Estate, looks like a hearse if you squint and thankfully, the seats are really comfy for her. She says its a keeper and will we be using it for going on holiday :)

Told me to sort the bumpers out sharpish lol

There are a few black b7 Avant bumpers on eBay - maybe the quicker/cheaper way? I imagine most rear estate bumpers will be scratched due to the being an estate and the use they get.

Personally I like the bumpers as they are. I call them lane change assist bumpers. If you need to change lanes, just indicate. Generally when someone sees a bumper with paint missing and especially an Audi, they yield 😆

The 100 mile report for the A4. So far

It looks good. Light clutch and gear change. Very comfy seats. Nippy. Good mpg's.

Mrs CSW likes it.

Dislikes

Clonk from nsf wheel. Hoping its just a bush / droplink.

Seatbelt warning alarm is almost constant. Its driving me insane. Nearly weighed the fucker in yesterday.

Drivers door does not close properly, unless slammed shut with a large amount of force. Think its dropped slightly.

I've got a vag com knock off from the Audi TT days. I am hoping it allows me to disable the seat belt warning.

I really like the car. Hoping it can be a long serving daily. If I can get the alarm disabled, it will be going for an early mot. 

Mot due Sept, but it needs a cambelt (575 quid). Dont want to spend that and then have a big mot bill two months later. Hence getting it mot'd shortly.

If its a big fail, I wont do the belt.

From previous mot history and talking to sic, I believe its been well looked after, so I'm quietly confident.

In other news, no one on AS wants the mondy. Not surprised, its not really an AS kind of car.

That will also be getting a fresh mot shortly (two months early) and then put on Autotrader.

• Cookiesouwest changed the title to The 4 rings 100 mile report - Cookie's adventures in shiteing
7 minutes ago, Cookiesouwest said:

Seatbelt warning alarm is almost constant. Its driving me insane. Nearly weighed the fucker in yesterday.

You haven't left something on the passenger seat have you? I left my work rucksack on the passenger seat and wondered why the seat belt warning was going off until I realised the back rolled and hit the seat sensor on a corner.

Almost certain the seatbelt warning can be disabled. It's likely a coding setting in the instrument cluster. I have a genuine VCDS if you have trouble with the knock off and want it coding out. Likely a five minute job.

10 minutes ago, Cookiesouwest said:

Drivers door does not close properly, unless slammed shut with a large amount of force. Think its dropped slightly.

Never had that problem when I had it and opened/closed on the lightest touch. I did have the door card off to do the window regulator and did make sure all the trim pieces were clicked in. But might be worth double checking that hasn't come undone. 

2 hours ago, SiC said:

You haven't left something on the passenger seat have you?

Silly as it sounds - I had this when the backpack was slightly heavier than usual one day - I went spare on the drive home.

Sounds like a decent ride to be honest. Nothing too bad on that list.

Was wondering - if tested early - does that still invalidate the existing record? Wiping off the 2-3mths you have in place? Sorry - too long away from the UK MoT experience....

3 hours ago, SiC said:

You haven't left something on the passenger seat have you? I left my work rucksack on the passenger seat and wondered why the seat belt warning was going off until I realised the back rolled and hit the seat sensor on a corner.

Almost certain the seatbelt warning can be disabled. It's likely a coding setting in the instrument cluster. I have a genuine VCDS if you have trouble with the knock off and want it coding out. Likely a five minute job.

Never had that problem when I had it and opened/closed on the lightest touch. I did have the door card off to do the window regulator and did make sure all the trim pieces were clicked in. But might be worth double checking that hasn't come undone. 

Thanks for the tip re door and offer of VCDS.

I moved the seat into a slightly different position this morning and then only very occasionally got the warning.

Can't work out if its the seat sensor or belt buckle.

Either way I will get it coded out.

Please don't take my comments as any criticism. I really like the car and its the first car for many years (excluding the CRV), where I'm not getting any earache from Mrs CSW.

Its a keeper.

23 minutes ago, Back_For_More said:

Silly as it sounds - I had this when the backpack was slightly heavier than usual one day - I went spare on the drive home.

Sounds like a decent ride to be honest. Nothing too bad on that list.

Was wondering - if tested early - does that still invalidate the existing record? Wiping off the 2-3mths you have in place? Sorry - too long away from the UK MoT experience....

I'm not entirely sure re test but I think that even if you get a fail, the existing mot remains on system.

As long as there are no fails regarded as dangerous and car is in roadworthy condition to satisfy plod / magistrate, then it can still be driven.

I don't even think the fail would show up on plods ANPR computer, because the existing pass will override it (kind of).

In the next couple of weeks I will find out.

Drivers windscreen wash is not working, so need to sort that first and bung a tyre on it. Then it goes for test.

So took a trip to Glastonbury this morning via a stop in Wells. 40 mile round trip. Lots of long steepish hills.  

On board comp says 50.9 mpg.

Happy with that. 18 better than the CRV and 8 better than the Mondeo.

And for me, my old knackered body and my driving style, the Audi suits me better.

So i'm happy.

Door dropping - TADTS. My mate has a C5 A6, same problem. It's probably the hinge but I recall him telling me something else so will ask next time I see him. :)

An MOT fail now is a grey area. A fail wouldn't be picked up by ANPR, but technically you're not supposed to drive it. However if the old MOT is valid you are allowed to drive it 🤔 confusing! Probably just be in a bit of hot water with insurance if you had a prang. 

As soon as it passes, the extra couple of months will be lost, unless you present it in the 30 days leading up to the expiry then it gets added on so you could end up with a 13 month MOT :)

5 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Door dropping - TADTS. My mate has a C5 A6, same problem. It's probably the hinge but I recall him telling me something else so will ask next time I see him. :)

An MOT fail now is a grey area. A fail wouldn't be picked up by ANPR, but technically you're not supposed to drive it. However if the old MOT is valid you are allowed to drive it 🤔 confusing! Probably just be in a bit of hot water with insurance if you had a prang. 

As soon as it passes, the extra couple of months will be lost, unless you present it in the 30 days leading up to the expiry then it gets added on so you could end up with a 13 month MOT :)

If it failed, it would only be getting driven to a garage for repairs, so I will be more than happy to take the risk.

I know I will lose 2 months ticket but thats not an issue in the great scheme of things.

Re the door, I think its the hinge but I'm hoping the hinge is adjustable. Weirdly its not doing it all the time, so I can live with it.

My VCDS lite scanner, does many things, but does not disable the seatbelt warning.

Will have to take a trip to Sic or meet him at a local car show / meet. 

A little bit of love.

The drivers side windscreen washer was not working. 

At the weekend, I popped the jets out of their holder and operated the jets. I could tell that water was getting to the unit, but it was clearly blocked.

Ordered a pair from a scrappy.

Remove old unit by prising it out at the front of the unit.

20220621_185741.thumb.jpg.cefc5673dd8b104ce5ef987cf858269a.jpg

20220621_185802.thumb.jpg.e02fdea3466d6c8158dc81f493e03e89.jpg

Disconnect the water pipe and the electrical collection for the heater element !!!! How bloody posh?

20220621_185958.thumb.jpg.27e43fe2ebf154293245373517f9d9ea.jpg

Then refitting is a reversal of the process.

Does it work? Did Cookie manage to do an HBOL 1 spanner job?

Course it works :)

To celebrate, I took her to the car wash.

She scrubs up well.

20220621_193023.thumb.jpg.bde03f21b1a6ea92e802bcb1bb8881e0.jpg

She can now be booked for MOT, to see what lurks beneath. She drives bloody great, so I'm assuming I don't have much to worry about :)

Then a tyre and sort the rear screen wash.

Then cambelt and waterpump. Possibly oil pump balancer shaft too, although suspect that will be mega bucks.

• Cookiesouwest changed the title to A dribble of love - Cookie's adventures in shiteing

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed the cruise wasn't working on the Mondy.

Typical. Just when she is on the brink of leaving the fleet.

Bit of googling re common issues, led me to buy a can of air from Amazon.

20220623_210701.thumb.jpg.a3c0dcfc78da4e7e8666ff1da47ef812.jpg

Then point it at the steering wheel controls and keep blasting till no air left in can.

20220623_210505.thumb.jpg.d82f56ed9a49caefb061da3609c6bdbd.jpg

20220623_210522.thumb.jpg.fea2df61b2e243aa89896a798b2265c2.jpg

And bingo.

Cruise in now cruising again.

20220623_211246.thumb.jpg.c1b1266667d322a0e6801ecb1e6c7bfd.jpg

I like simple fixes.

• Cookiesouwest changed the title to Cruising - Cookie's adventures in shiteing

Prep for selling the Mondy and CRV.

Mechanically both cars are in good nick. But they both have yellowing headlights, mondy has short ticket and they both need a good valet.

So today, I went out and bought some wet and dry, a few different grades and dug out an old headlight restoration kit that had some polish left. Started on the CRV first.

Decided to do it all by hand. Takes longer, but reduces the chance of melting the lens (yes I have done that before !).

This is what they look like

20220625_210758.thumb.jpg.7d6869f9c9d380610f0dc0f972da2558.jpg

The camera does not show how bad they are.

P400, P800, P1200 and finally P3000. 40 mins of sanding. Plenty of water.

20220625_202942.thumb.jpg.31324e858e7d872c4e16468ac4699da7.jpg

20220625_202925.thumb.jpg.1326307f5a376ec2709e9d4196b94db6.jpg

Then washed it off and hit it with polish.

20220625_210744.thumb.jpg.2e44c2e8d93b439c5202008f91cba825.jpg

I'm really rather pleased with the result. Put some sealer on after.

Took an hour.

3 more headlights (1 CRV, 2 Mondy) and a fog light (Mondy) to go. Will do them in the evenings after work next week.

Another HBOL 1 spanner job completed, with no cock up :)