HFM small autos - Cookie's adventures in shiteing

Cookiesouwest

• 2 weeks later...

The Honda has developed a fault, at the worst possible time for it.

Last year, the offside light would be intermittent and sadly when she went for an mot, she decided not to work.

Screenshot_20231022-205516_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.cfef48d806a755ef1ea051c834ab3135.jpg

An auto electrician wired the right side to the left side, to get the light to work. Represented 4 Dec and she passed.

Strongly suspected the stalk had a fault.

Well now the offside side light has decided to play up. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

I'm away next two weekends, so can't work on it then. Might try and get a replacement stalk and if that doesn't cure it, gonna have to get the sparky back.

She needs to leave the fleet soon, due to possibly very boring incoming motor, with an emotional attachment.

If I can't get a new ticket on her, she may get bridged. Shame, cause she would make a good winter motor for someone.

• Cookiesouwest changed the title to A faulty honda !!!! - Cookie's adventures in shiteing
  • 2 weeks later...

Yesterday made the 350 mile trip up from Home in Somerset to MIL in Hexham, Northumberland.

Left at 4am, in a storm and made it to her front door by 9.45, with 2 pit stops on way. Record time.

The mondeo either did 2 regens on the way up or the powershite box is playing up (2 x 20 miles, the box changed down to 5th, 3k revs). In my limited knowledge, I would have thought it would only need to do it once. Sierraman reckons I need to plug into forscan, so it will need to wait until I get home.

What the storm made crystal clear, was the water leak, that's been present since purchase needs to be sorted, as the boot carpet wasn't just damp but wet.

So I went shopping for some bathroom sealant and brake cleaner.

20231103_091134.thumb.jpg.84c5bcef261302154fb758cb8666576d.jpg

The Boot gutters on the Mondy are filthy, cause I don't clean it.

This is the better cleaner side.

20231103_091032.thumb.jpg.6dcde8bc0ac298b2a04aa13d744d94f1.jpg

The water is getting through the wiring loom hole on the nearside.

20231103_091055.thumb.jpg.8c767a4886bbc316a1d00630ed3e5458.jpg

So liberal amounts of brake cleaner applied and cleaned up the boot shut.

20231103_091037.thumb.jpg.1361162799af67dbf5f7b3acfc0ba352.jpg

Access is difficult and im crap with applying sealant, so its not pretty, but hopefully effective.

20231103_092241.thumb.jpg.17e3ab084d6dc1b4252a6ab1e315eb44.jpg

20231103_092236.thumb.jpg.b3b4c018f6859e63ba993cb047a60a8c.jpg

I'm hoping this cures it.

• Cookiesouwest changed the title to A wet Ford - Cookie's adventures in shiteing
  • 1 month later...

Posted elsewhere but copied her for completeness.

Well my search for a Vectra 1.8 is over.

Spoke to Dad today. He is getting rid of his 11 plate Zafira. He is going to share the running costs and use of my Sisters mk4 CRV, as she hardly uses it, as she has a spare 107 for town runs and is also one of those cyclist types.

He offered it to my youngest who is getting her provisional. As a painter and decorator it would be ideal, but she has decided to get an auto only licence, so Zafira won't be any good for her.

Its been in the family a long time and has been well cared for. Its also got the 1.8 vvt engine, euro 5 version. Which would come in handy.

So I'm going to make him an offer and it should join the fleet in the first quarter of next year.

My CRV will have to leave the fleet to make room for it.

• 4 weeks later...

Nearly a month has passed and the incoming Zafira, is no longer incoming.

2 reasons. Didnt want Dad being without his own car. My Sisters heart was in the right place iro the sharing of her CRV, but I think he should keep his own motor. 2nd reason was I felt guilty about the price. Its worth more than double what he was going to charge me.

So the search is back on. Probably a Vectra. I've found a rough one on Ebay with a long list of faults. None of which stop the car from being used. Very cheap. Mrs Cookie has pointed out I should just buy a good one, as it will be cheaper in the end. But thats not very AS.

The mondy needs a wheel bearing and I need to get it booked in. Honda running OK.

After the flooding of last couple of days, I've decided to keep the CRV - its handy in large puddles.

So once I've sourced replacement, the Mondy will be up for sale.

• Cookiesouwest changed the title to No Zafira for me - Cookie's adventures in shiteing
  • 2 weeks later...

Mondeo went up to local friendly garage today, to check its wheel bearings.

Left it up there and they will fit it in, when they can.

I did notice copious amounts of smoke under hard acceleration. Hoping its just the weather.

Lost out on an ebay auction for a slightly knackered Vectra C.

Mondeo went on ramp at 7am this morning !

No issues found.

Told him to take it for a blast and warm it up.

2nd attempt on ramp, yep both ! front bearings need replacement.

And the locking wheel nut key snapped, so its had to have all four lockers removed and replaced with normal bolts. Quite glad, as was going to change them anyway.

242 quid all in. 

Bit more than I bargained for, but was only expecting one bearing to be replaced.

18 minutes ago, Cookiesouwest said:

Mondeo went on ramp at 7am this morning !

No issues found.

Told him to take it for a blast and warm it up.

2nd attempt on ramp, yep both ! front bearings need replacement.

And the locking wheel nut key snapped, so its had to have all four lockers removed and replaced with normal bolts. Quite glad, as was going to change them anyway.

242 quid all in. 

Bit more than I bargained for, but was only expecting one bearing to be replaced.

Still cheaper than a new car!! Not that it will stop you looking!😂 No issues with excess smoke?

25 minutes ago, andyberg said:

Still cheaper than a new car!! Not that it will stop you looking!😂 No issues with excess smoke?

Yes it is cheaper than a new motor. Yes I'm still looking :)

I didn't ask him to check about the smoke.

About to walk up and get it. Going to Mums tonight, so will give it an Italian tune :)

• 2 months later...

Blimey forgot to give an update.

The mondy had both its front wheel bearings changed.

Made fuck all difference. Still have minute steering wheel shake - shake is an exaggeration- but it still bugs me.

And can still hear a rotational sound that also bugs me.

Beginning to think its the tyres.

Plus mini Cookie step daughter is now learning to drive. 

She does not get on with a Spanish box, so will be taking a badermatic test.

Sadly she thinks the Mondy is too big for her, while learning, so I am now finding out just how expensive small autos are.

Mrs Cookie and I are still in discussion about whether one of our cars has to go to make way for small auto, or we suck it up and add to the fleet, at least till Poppy has passed her test.

• Cookiesouwest changed the title to HFM small autos - Cookie's adventures in shiteing
18 minutes ago, Cookiesouwest said:

so I am now finding out just how expensive small autos are.

Recently been through this helping my sister get her daughter (my niece) her first car, £3k on a 2006 Nissan Micra auto! It's a lovely little low mileage car but the prices are staggering for anything not battered or without issues.

10 hours ago, 2flags said:

Is this any good?

Vauxhall Corsa c 1.4 Automatic 2003 Silver Mot until Aug Ulez free 49,880 miles | eBay

If anyone knows how to make this a 'clicky' link, please feel free to do so. 

Thanks

That's local (ish) to me.

But needs too much investigation and fix to get it running.

Car shopping - first impressions

Little Cookie has looked at the following and given her verdict.

Mk4 Mondeo Estate Powershift - she liked it as it was in black and therefore looks like a hearse (She is a gothling, takes after her goth mum). Seats comfy but too big for her first car. I wasn't expecting her to be that sensible !

Corsa C with the Robot box - she really liked it - I was surprised but there is hope she might be a closet autoshiter.

Mk2.5 Focus Estate normal auto - liked it. Liked the seats, but worried its still too big.

Mazda 3 (Mk2 focus in a frock) - liked a lot, but not as much as the Corsa.

Zafira B - liked the elevated seat, but doesn't like not seeing end of bonnet (but agrees with more practice and experience may not be an issue).

Plenty more for me to find, before a choice is made.

Fusion / Fiesta / Corsa D / Meriva / Polo / Golf to be found next.