Big Fat German Bird joins the fleet - Cookie's adventures in shiteing

Cookiesouwest

19 minutes ago, andyberg said:

I am off this weekend, just have a couple of things to do tomorrow morning but can pop over to give you a hand after that if you need it.

I need to order some replacement bumper clips, as a few are knackered. It can wait for a bit. So stand down for this weekend :)

Trim clips have arrived, so Honda headlight can be investigated.

Mondy has had its rear engine mount changed.

I'm still on a chod ban :(

But light at the end of the tunnel

MIL has had to stop driving. Largely due to occasionally driving the wrong way on the A69, getting lost quite a bit and now driving by touch rather than just parking by touch.

She drives an E34 525td. It was her husbands before he passed many moons ago. 

It use to be in great nick. Mechanically it still is, as my BIL owns a garage in Allendale and makes sure its looked after.

But it has the usual rust, arches and boot lid, plus its been driven into nearly every bollard and piece of Street furniture in M&S and Wentworth car parks in Hexham. Plus her own garage door and many walls.

175k on clock. Drivers seat threadbare, one barely functioning key and I suspect numerous other niggles.

Currently in use with nephew.

But its been offered to me long term.

Conundrum. I love E34s. But this one needs many £££££s to make it look good.

Due to the family connection to the car, the Northumberland branch of the family will be none too pleased if I scrap it off, should it be too costly to put right.

I'm heading north for a wedding in May, so I have till then to decide.

• Cookiesouwest changed the title to Cookie's adventures in shiteing - E34 conundrum

Probably not worth it unless you can tidy it up somewhat within a reasoable budget to be able to find a buyer who will actually take care of it, while getting the money you put into it back again. I feel like these are too rare to scrap now, though. Someone on here would probably buy it for the right price.

1 hour ago, Schaefft said:

Probably not worth it unless you can tidy it up somewhat within a reasoable budget to be able to find a buyer who will actually take care of it, while getting the money you put into it back again. I feel like these are too rare to scrap now, though. Someone on here would probably buy it for the right price.

If I take it on, it would be a keeper. I wouldn't be looking to flip it.

Just not sure I want another project.

My heart says take it. 

Usually my heart wins.

Depends if Mrs CSW wants a permanent reminder of her dad, on the fleet.

Its a hard one.

I have my e34 10+ year now and while second hand parts at one time were cheap and plentiful  Ive noticed in the last 2 year the price of bits creeping up quiet significantly. I saw someone asking 1K for a sport interior the other day.......

Before you commit have a good poke at the sills and floor.......even the one that look good can be rotten. I know this from my own experience.

I am also sentimental about cars, spending much more than they are worth fixing them because I like them ( or like the way they make me feel) , not focusing on what what they are worth at the end of the process. Ive never regretted spending money on a car I like, especially one with sentimental value.

The e34 you describe.....it sound like one to drive around and gradually improve bit by bit over an extended  period. 

13 minutes ago, Hogie said:

Its a hard one.

I have my e34 10+ year now and while second hand parts at one time were cheap and plentiful  Ive noticed in the last 2 year the price of bits creeping up quiet significantly. I saw someone asking 1K for a sport interior the other day.......

Before you commit have a good poke at the sills and floor.......even the one that look good can be rotten. I know this from my own experience.

I am also sentimental about cars, spending much more than they are worth fixing them because I like them ( or like the way they make me feel) , not focusing on what what they are worth at the end of the process. Ive never regretted spending money on a car I like, especially one with sentimental value.

The e34 you describe.....it sound like one to drive around and gradually improve bit by bit over an extended  period. 

I've seen the same happen for specific E39 and particularly E38 parts. Usually its limited to the more desirable parts that once were more plentiful though, certain OEM wheels in particular. E34 could be so rare now that everything is creeping up by now.

14 minutes ago, Schaefft said:

I've seen the same happen for specific E39 and particularly E38 parts. Usually its limited to the more desirable parts that once were more plentiful though, certain OEM wheels in particular. E34 could be so rare now that everything is creeping up by now.

You can still pick up a nice 518 or 520 for what I think is a fair price, like less than 2K.

Anything with a bigger 6 cylinder or V8 engine that isnt a basket case is between 5 and 10 K now.

They are a nice car though, I had a chance to compare my e34 535i sport against a e39 530d Sport a few years back....over all the e39 was  better at being a car but I thought my car was actually a better steer, it was less numb than the e39.

I am such a d*ck.

MIL has a E39 NOT a E34. Given I've had many of both, I really should know the difference.

At least the many parts it will need will be easier and a bit cheaper to find.

Mrs CSW has agreed, I can have it if I want it.

In effect my chod ban ends in May. Or sooner if I can get up there before.

• Cookiesouwest changed the title to Cookie's adventures in shiteing - E34 conundrum (actually an E39) doh

Hm, an E39 525tds (did they even sell the td in the UK?) probably is one of the least desireable of the range. If its needs bodywork even I dont think its worth it, theres zero following for them when you can get a 530d (if it has to be a diesel) for not much more.

1 hour ago, Schaefft said:

Hm, an E39 525tds (did they even sell the td in the UK?) probably is one of the least desireable of the range. If its needs bodywork even I dont think its worth it, theres zero following for them when you can get a 530d (if it has to be a diesel) for not much more.

Its a td. So very very very undesirable. Plus cloth seats and I assume no options. So its very Autoshite.

Only taking it on (assuming my nephew does not trash it, in next couple of months), due to family ties. SIL and BIL do not want it scrapped, as its 'Mums car' and they don't want her upset.

• 2 weeks later...

Proof I am an electrical genius.

The OSF main beam has been inoperative on the CRV.

Tried a bulb replacement. No dice.

Tonight I went to pick up a push bike, as Mrs CSW has joined the gym and this automatically means I have to stop being a lard arse 

Dropped the back seats to get bike in.

Bingo. Main beam now works. How and why (if) the two are connected is anyones guess.

I can now add headlight fixes to my glorious list of electrical radio fixes :)

• Cookiesouwest changed the title to Cookie's adventures in shiteing - I am an electrical bloody genius (again)
  • 3 weeks later...

Mondeo is nearly ready for sale. Cambelt, waterpump and oil change done today. Not by me. Farmed it out and now credit card has £420 quid more on it. Not bad. 

CRV won't be far behind.

I had almost convinced myself I wanted a V70. But have had a secret hankering for a MK2 CLK for awhile.

Tonight I sent Mrs CSW a link to a CLK on ebay. Its my usual way of testing the waters.

The response was as follows, word for word

'If you buy a silver Mercedes, you will never get a blow job again'

So looks like I'm now searching for a black or dark blue CLK with black leather interior. Because Mrs CSW says that if one of those turns up, normal service will not be interrupted :)

• Cookiesouwest changed the title to Cambelts, fleet sales and BJ's - Cookie's adventures in shiteing
18 hours ago, Cookiesouwest said:

Mondeo is nearly ready for sale. Cambelt, waterpump and oil change done today. Not by me. Farmed it out and now credit card has £420 quid more on it. Not bad. 

CRV won't be far behind.

I had almost convinced myself I wanted a V70. But have had a secret hankering for a MK2 CLK for awhile.

Tonight I sent Mrs CSW a link to a CLK on ebay. Its my usual way of testing the waters.

The response was as follows, word for word

'If you buy a silver Mercedes, you will never get a blow job again'

So looks like I'm now searching for a black or dark blue CLK with black leather interior. Because Mrs CSW says that if one of those turns up, normal service will not be interrupted :)

I don't have to buy a CLK for my wife not to blow me 😎

Wait 😥

I'm very tempted by this.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202202262987790?atmobcid=soc3

861004925_Screenshot_20220228-220908_AutoTrader.thumb.jpg.80449e19bca075e9f1cfc51c8ac61b4d.jpg

Yes I know all Vauxhalls are shit, but I liked my 1.8 vvt sri, I had before.

From a AS perspective, I think they are pretty good.

Old style clutch, so no dmf to worry about, therefore cheaper clutch change if needed.

Waterpump driven from aux belt, so cambelt changes are cheaper.

VX parts are plentiful

The asking price is somewhat lower than any other dealer. Bristol ulez compliant, 1300 in current market for a ticketed, 95k on clock car, is pretty good.

Allows me to put the mondy and CRV up for sale.

I'm phoning the dealer in the morning.

• Cookiesouwest changed the title to Vauxhall temptation - Cookie's adventures in shiteing
On 2/22/2022 at 6:22 AM, Cookiesouwest said:

Lol A mint Mk1 MG ZS 180. Alternatively get off my ass and restore hers, that has been languishing off road for 4 years.

They're starting to head up in value. (I know that's normally a Facebook moron phrase but it is true!)

There's hardly any about and those that are available seem to be at least £2k unless a bargain crops up.

Best get yours back on the road then!

Though guessing it'll need belts which is an utter PITA of a job... 

1 hour ago, Cookiesouwest said:

I'm very tempted by this.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202202262987790?atmobcid=soc3

861004925_Screenshot_20220228-220908_AutoTrader.thumb.jpg.80449e19bca075e9f1cfc51c8ac61b4d.jpg

Yes I know all Vauxhalls are shit, but I liked my 1.8 vvt sri, I had before.

From a AS perspective, I think they are pretty good.

Old style clutch, so no dmf to worry about, therefore cheaper clutch change if needed.

Waterpump driven from aux belt, so cambelt changes are cheaper.

VX parts are plentiful

The asking price is somewhat lower than any other dealer. Bristol ulez compliant, 1300 in current market for a ticketed, 95k on clock car, is pretty good.

Allows me to put the mondy and CRV up for sale.

I'm phoning the dealer in the morning.

These seem to fetch decent money so that's a good price if it's a good 'un. I went to see one before I got the Focus, I would have got it but upon viewing in person, a sizeable oil leak and blatant manifold/downpipe blow was evident and the seller seemed nonplussed and not exactly forthcoming with information about it which gave me a cold feeling about the rest of the car.

Its a shame and I would consider one in future. Don't hear of much trouble out of the 1.8 VVT lump and as you say simpler mechanicals than for example the diesel alternatives 

Running costs don't look horrendous either for an almost 140bhp engine

Get it bought 😀

7 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

They're starting to head up in value. (I know that's normally a Facebook moron phrase but it is true!)

There's hardly any about and those that are available seem to be at least £2k unless a bargain crops up.

Best get yours back on the road then!

Though guessing it'll need belts which is an utter PITA of a job... 

It needs belts, front shocks, the bonnet is locked shut due to rusty catches, alloys dont hold air and loads of minor bits and bobs.