Big Fat German Bird joins the fleet - Cookie's adventures in shiteing

Cookiesouwest

According to this:

https://www.carsized.com/en/cars/compare/ford-mondeo-2007-fastback-vs-mercedes-benz-e-2006-estate/

The Merc is slightly longer but slightly narrower. Feck all difference in it though.

I guess there is a physical maximum you can make vehicles before they become unusable in Europe and manufacturers are pretty much at that limit now. 

I parked my Mondeo mk4 alongside my Volvo 740 when I first bought the Mondeo, I was amazed the Mondeo was taller wider and longer than the 740. Space in the Mondeo is good for a modern car but nowhere near as good as a 740 or E class. I have not measured the C5X yet but it seems similar to the Mondeo. Modern cars are crap.

I do not currently have gates on the drive but when I did I usually only opened one as each one was 7’ wide, most cars went in and out easily, the Mondeo had 1 “ either side of the mirrors and barely fitted in parking spaces, they are ridiculous for what are just average cars. 

16 minutes ago, Shite Ron said:

I parked my Mondeo mk4 alongside my Volvo 740 when I first bought the Mondeo, I was amazed the Mondeo was taller wider and longer than the 740. Space in the Mondeo is good for a modern car but nowhere near as good as a 740 or E class. I have not measured the C5X yet but it seems similar to the Mondeo. Modern cars are crap.

I do not currently have gates on the drive but when I did I usually only opened one as each one was 7’ wide, most cars went in and out easily, the Mondeo had 1 “ either side of the mirrors and barely fitted in parking spaces, they are ridiculous for what are just average cars. 

Airbags, crumple zones & crash bars innit?

I did a VIN decoder look up, to find full spec.

Std E Class fuel tank is 80L.

The BFG has an extended tank fitted (Code 915), which is 90L.

God knows how much that cost when it was specced.

Who thinks, nah 80L is not enough, I will pay extra for a bigger fuel tank, cause those extra 10L will come in handy.

Full spec for BFG below - nappa leather for extra softness :)

Screenshot_20240416-225045_Chrome.jpg.ce2578cb61029957d7b958f29090e741.jpg

Screenshot_20240416-225056_Chrome.jpg.4c54b33fedd0be2206a5340594e44304.jpg

Screenshot_20240416-225107_Chrome.jpg.39744cd46017406758139918378e85d5.jpg

Code U16 - Stowage tank behind rear seat backrest.

@SiC thought it was for the storage of the Load compartment package (code 942). Makes sense because it fits.

But when I ordered the boot mat, the guy asked if my car had the gun rack behind the rear seats !!

SiC is probably right, but gun rack sounds cooler, so I'm going with that :)

Another car pressie has arrived :)

Put the new rubber boot mat in, to give some protection from the dogs (on the rare occasions they will be allowed in it).

Before

20240417_192547.jpg.c7e205f496e2de602df6ee26c825b8ce.jpg

After

20240417_192751.jpg.caccb0b0c76907fb07eee7541a977203.jpg

Needs a bit of a trim in places, but happy. Note the back of the gun rack - saying that will never get old. Gun rack :)

While in the boot, I had a root around and tried to access the spare wheel.

The handle that you use to release the floor and pull it upwards, is no longer attached to the floor !! so need to find another.

8 minutes ago, Cookiesouwest said:

The handle that you use to release the floor and pull it upwards, is no longer attached to the floor !! so need to find another.

@rantingYoof dad broke it after not realising that you have to remove the back seat completely before trying it.

I fixed it when I got the car.

Broke it again when I forgot about removing the back seat 🤦‍♂️

Fixed it again.

Broke it good and proper when I forgot again about removing the back seat. 😫

So I'll put a health warning that you may end up doing the same with a new handle. 🤣

One of the reasons my dad bought it was the spec. When I found it for sale, I told him that the 'Elegance' was, basically, the 'luxury' specification. When we were looking at it in London, I told him that it looked like the first owner had basically clicked a 'Select All' button when faced with the options list.

Both of us love finding the top-spec top-specced cars...a long time ago I found him a V-plated 3.0 Omega Elite which had all options ticked as a factory demonstrator. Even a built-in phone which worked.

Nicely bought. My dad will be chuffed it's still within the Autoshite fold.

52 minutes ago, rantingYoof said:

One of the reasons my dad bought it was the spec. When I found it for sale, I told him that the 'Elegance' was, basically, the 'luxury' specification. When we were looking at it in London, I told him that it looked like the first owner had basically clicked a 'Select All' button when faced with the options list.

Both of us love finding the top-spec top-specced cars...a long time ago I found him a V-plated 3.0 Omega Elite which had all options ticked as a factory demonstrator. Even a built-in phone which worked.

Nicely bought. My dad will be chuffed it's still within the Autoshite fold.

You did well to find it. It is very well specced and yes the 1st owner looks like he ticked all boxes.

I might try and find out what spec was available to see if any boxes were left unticked.

6 hours ago, Cookiesouwest said:

You did well to find it. It is very well specced and yes the 1st owner looks like he ticked all boxes.

I might try and find out what spec was available to see if any boxes were left unticked.

Looks great! Cooled seats, and massage seats may have been an option on these, has it got a sunroof ?

8 hours ago, Cookiesouwest said:

In the paperwork folder there is a UK price booklet. 

It's high spec but not quite all the options. Like the passenger seat isn't memory, no electric tailgate, no distronic and stuff like that. Tbh it's probably about the right level of spec without far too much extra electrical liability!

The BFG has made we anxious.

Went to pick up Little Cookie from Taekwondo.

Car park is always full, so I just do slow laps, till she comes out.

Little to no throttle and BFG starts stuttering while lapping the car park. Not kangarooring but stuttering :(

Seized by the fear, I give it some welly and go find somewhere else to park.

Behaved impeccably on the way home.

Hopefully a rare occurance. Just an old car thing. Fingers crossed.

53 minutes ago, andyberg said:

Safrane sometimes does this, especially if there is a slight incline/decent in a car park. But the Safrane 'creeps' on zero throttle so maybe it's that 🤷

Yes could just be not enough gas.

Still getting use to the box. Sometimes it will creep with no throttle - which I'm used to and expect. Sometimes it won't.

Also when in Comfort mode, its reluctant to get going. It does start in 2nd in Comfort. Maybe I'm not giving it enough beans. Switched it to Sport mode, that gets off the line quite nicely.