egg

When i was a kid (early 90's)

1. Capri (280 or 2.8special in black)

2. Proper mini (mk1 cooper s)

3. Sapphire cosworth (2wd in magenta)

4.mk4 xr3i (in black)

5.mk2 astra gte (in white)

Now

1. Capri (3.0S with fishnets, or a very early mk3 with no spoiler and steels)

2.proper mini

3.mk4/5 cortina

4.sapphire cosworth (2wd in magenta)

5.nova gsi (in silk violet or white)

So, not alot no.

Well my only dream *ahem* "car" for a lot of my younger years was the Routemaster bus

but more recently a certain type of blue 3 wheeler has taken a seat next to the Routemaster :) Managed to achieve the dream acquire the Blue 3 wheeler :)  but somehow I dont think the Routemaster will be as "easy" despite being much more numerous in surviving numbers! one can dream however :) 

IMG_0504.thumb.JPG.a6977d5ac650b2ae16497009589fe87e.JPG

I consider the Routemaster as my "that would be nice" in a fantasy sort of way dream vehicle, where as the Model 70 was/is my Dream vehicle in the "Im getting one no matter what life tries to throw at me!" sense of dream vehicle the "I WILL own/get one" sort of thing, happy to say I have pulled that off! just need to get her roadworthy now! :) 

(I do hope I can at least get a chance to drive a Routemaster someday, one with AEC AV590/690 or Leyland O.600 running gear of course :)

sure I have plenty of other cars/vehicles id like to own or drive at some point, but the above 2 are what I would call my dream cars

other close ones I guess? I don't really have a 1-10 list in my head, but an FX4 Taxi is pretty high up there, but otherwise I just have a jumble of cars in my head that would just be nice to own at some point or at least drive :) 

currently for example I really want to experience/drive a properly manual car, something with a carburetor, no computer nonsense/assists, from the 1960s or 1950s with no power steering or such amenities, manual gearbox etc

im really curious to know just what a car like that is like to drive! especially since all I have driven a lot is a modern 2019 Pug 208! Manual, but still very "assisted" in a lot of places

6 minutes ago, carlo said:

Has and always will be a Fiat 130 Coupe!

Tasteful choice. I always forget about them, but when they pop up I think, there's a grand tourer I'd like to own. But, I guess not something to daily.

When I was kid I really like the Delorean, when I was a teen the Mini and Falcon XB (Mad Max). I really wanted a Vauxhall Calibra when I was in my twenties (I bought a turbo when I was 25). I moved on to bikes in my thirties.

Nowadays I’d like

Series One Land Rover

Opel Kadett C Coupe, preferably with 2.0 16v engine fitted

1 hour ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

.....passed up on a couple of Interceptors when they were £1000 shitters- but I hadn't got £1000 to spare. 

This is the problem I had with the AE86 Corollas. I use to see them in the back of car magazines (in the classifieds) or AutoTrader for £1500 but I didn't have £1500, or any chance of insuring one at 19, so never got one. Now the same car is more like £10,000.

No, not really. I grew up wanting a few cars, which were pretty odd cars for a child to want, but the cars I wanted, I was obsessed with. Old Mercs and old Jags. 

My contemporaries were absorbed in fantasies featuring Britney Spears, the Dodge Viper, the Peter Steven’s era Lotus’s Esprit V8 and David Beckham (in that order, but possibly not at the same time). Meanwhile, I was thinking about the W210 generation Mercedes E-Class.

Other boys could keep the testosterone pumped, Top-Trump winning stars of their petrol-based day dreams, because relaxed executive transport was where I saw my future. 

The W210 held such appeal for me, back when they were still seen as genuinely prestigious cars you would be proud to own, before the terrible truth about their passion for rusting became mainstream knowledge. 

That distinctive four-eyed face looked different to me in the era when most executive cars were being styled to look like fax machines, while that big, haughty grill commanded respect in the way others in its class didn’t. The W210 came at the tale end of the old money era of executives when you think about it, being built in the age when a chrome grill was what shouted “get out of my way” in the rear view mirror, not a set of dazzling LEDs. Being obnoxious was less obnoxious in the 20th Century.

The sense of respect, or slight fear, was heightened when my headmaster bought a gold Elegance. The sight of it sneering at me as I walked into school should have put me off them, not ameliorated me towards them.  

Dream car number one seared into the brain.

But rather than developing a nervous twitch every time I saw a W210, I longed to be on the other side of the silk rope - I wanted to wield executive privilege, not yield to it. 

It was in those formative years that I developed an affinity for the “barges”, or as any armchair psychologists reading this will probably think, a superiority complex. 

The other barge I longed for was a Jaguar XJ40. My Grandparent's friend had a Kingfisher Blue 3.2 on lattice alloys. He was round for coffee at 11am every day, often staying to help my Granddad destroy the garden maintain the shrubs and trees, but not before getting a bit drunk over dinner. The XJ40 would only turn up on nice days, otherwise his Peugeot 205 was used.

The XJ40 meant long summer days, BBQs, school holidays and staying outside with my grandparents and their friend, waiting for the sun to "go over the yardarm" because yet even more drinking would have to happen for some reason.

Yes, that meant drink-driving, no I'm not condoning it, yes the XJ40 got crashed. Several times: most notably into my Granparents rockery. 

Car number 2 that I dreamt of. It was nothing to do with the car, but everything to do with the memory of everything being right with the world. I only had one picture of the car, and I threw it out by mistake last year, because I left it pressed flat in a Jag book I binned :( 

I’ve only ever had one dream car. It’s always been that and it will always be and that is a 68-70 Dodge Charger.
Everything else falls into the ‘ooo I wouldn’t mind one of those’ or ‘nope, really not for me thanks’ categories.
Cars swap into and out of both of those all the time, but as I say, only one dream car ever.
Who wouldn’t love one of these, I mean just look at it......such a pretty yet menacing looking car.

1f319d0990f5ce137b1120423cc5b3ba.jpg

8 hours ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

oh and of course a 3.3LiA BMW

image.thumb.jpeg.76985f5ee3b48341646f331d01bda023.jpeg

Back as a teenage when they were new one of my pin up cars was a BMW 3.0Si, I have achieved this, all be it 3.0 S with Carbs instead of injection.

I bought it as a running car 8 ½ years ago and have to done a fair amount of work to it but it was taken off the road because of poor starting and a miss fire. A friend from the BMW club has been helping me with it and I should be getting it back this year running well.

The point is, your dream may be 3.3 LiA but if you want a drive of a short wheel base, manual, carb car short of 300cc then this can be arranged?

IMG_0935 broad.jpg

Last year I archived one of my long term reasonably priced wants a Peugeot 306 convertible, broken at the moment but in will live again.

I have some long term out of reach dream cars Lola T70 Mk3b, Invicta low chassis 4 ½ Ltr and Jaguar D Type.

So keeping it real, dream cars are always changing but at the moment I want:

10th generation Thunderbird V8

Dacia 1310

Fiat Seicento Sporting

M Thunderbird 10th Gen.JPG

I'm lucky I've had most of mine. 

Most have been things that made an impression on me when I was young, so not really a modern car person.

I always wanted a Morgan, over the years I've had quite a few, I've enjoyed them all, now they're too expensive and I find if hard to get in and out of them.

The Prisoner TV series made a big impression, introducing me to the Lotus 7 and Mini Moke. (a school friends trendy mother had a Moke, which also made an impression, the car and the mother). I've had a Lotus and a Moke. Loved the Lotus, hated the Moke.

Always fancied a Bond Bug, left it until I was too old and found it too awkward to get in and out and didn't feel safe in it. Didn't like.

Always loved Land Rovers (grew up with them) had quite a few, still like them.

Loads of stuff I've fancied at times and bought, just to get them out of my system.

Luckily I'm not turned on by exotic stuff, I'm fortunate enough to have driven some, but have always been glad it wasn't mine.

I did always fancy a Rolls Royce, but having had a Bentley realised I don't like being seen in things like that, the same applies to Porsche (always wanted a 928, had one but didn't like being looked at).

The only two things I would really have liked to own, but have left too late, are a Bristol (preferably a 407) and a Porsche 356.

55 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Invicta low chassis 4 ½ Ltr

I would be lying if I said I didn't read that as something else at first!

55 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Dacia 1310

Mighty Dacia 2.0? (this time @Mrs6C has to return with a Trabant or a Zaporozhets or something!)

or just quietly making suggestions to @catsinthewelder ? :mrgreen:

1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

Back as a teenage when they were new one of my pin up cars was a BMW 3.0Si, I have achieved this, all be it 3.0 S with Carbs instead of injection.

I bought it as a running car 8 ½ years ago and have to done a fair amount of work to it but it was taken off the road because of poor starting and a miss fire. A friend from the BMW club has been helping me with it and I should be getting it back this year running well.

The point is, your dream may be 3.3 LiA but if you want a drive of a short wheel base, manual, carb car short of 300cc then this can be arranged?

IMG_0935 broad.jpg

That is beautiful, this ad. Immediately sprang to mind, although interestingly the Police car in the ad has chrome trim embellishers things, whereas yours looks more Police like with the purposeful bare rims.

I'd love to take you up on this at some point. When I was 18 I was offered a swap for a 2500 auto that looked very similar to your 3.0 , against my Mk4 Executive. Unfortunately my insurance broker laughed when I enquired how much to change - the E3 was group7 and the Zodiac was only 5, it would have doubled my premium.

image.thumb.jpeg.118f6f5333c287c455cdd99b6ef82c97.jpeg

4 minutes ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

That is beautiful, this ad. Immediately sprang to mind, although interestingly the Police car in the ad has chrome trim embellishers things, whereas yours looks more Police like with the purposeful bare rims.

I'd love to take you up on this at some point. When I was 18 I was offered a swap for a 2500 auto that looked very similar to your 3.0 , against my Mk4 Executive. Unfortunately my insurance broker laughed when I enquired how much to change - the E3 was group7 and the Zodiac was only 5, it would have doubled my premium.

image.thumb.jpeg.118f6f5333c287c455cdd99b6ef82c97.jpeg

My friend who is helping me father, was a police officer driving a BMW 3.0 Si in the day.

Perhaps you should never meet your heroes . I was like a dog with two tails when I saw  an affordable Lancia Fulvia Zagato, but when I had climbed into it (via the rear hatch) I realised that no matter how I moved the seat I just couldn't get  comfortable or get any window winders or door locks to actually work. A car that had been  built by Italians in a shed with aluminium panels over a steel frame was never going to stand up to the English climate  (not without  £8k being spent ) so I now dream of a 1952 Hudson Hornet. Note to self- I must stop watching old NASCAR races on Youtube ;)

My dream car is still a dolomite 1850, think it's because my dad had one and it's the last car I remember him being really happy in, that and they look awesome.

Hoping I manage to achieve it before they get too expensive, but sadly I don't think that will happen.

Quite lucky really because I have driven and worked on lots of really cool expensive cars, so that itch is scratched.

Some things I would also like to own is a 2CV or another classic mini, already out of my price range unfortunately.

My ultimate dream is the same as Xtriples I think... 

E6BE4C6D-4D62-4829-942E-46281DA9156F.jpeg

I used to love the Avengers repeats when I was a kid, and being a fan of dapper dressing I wanted to be John Steed and have the Bentley!

Other than that Id always said my dream car was an E-Type... but that lust seems to have waned...  
The other constant desire is for a Reliant 3-wheeler! 

Other than that it chops and changes. I keep meaning to make a list of my top desires so that I can get on with trying them. But off the top of my head the realistic-ish list includes... 

- Maestro.  
- Ovlov 740.  
- Reliant. 
- Porsche 924. 
- Citroen XM.  

I’ll think of more I’m sure...