Suggestions please - 4x4 needed for a very specific purpose.

320touring

We've got sse in at work just now, with a fleet of hiluxes and the odd defender.  My vote is for the surf, amazing reliability (twin batteries, starting is not an issue, been down to -21 here!), easy maintenance (frequent oil changes, but very easy, no jacking up!), no computer bullshit, comfy, and the autobags seem to be bombproof too.  Had mine for six years now, yes they're all going to have rust, but the separate chassis build means it's easily contained/repaired.  Very, very capable off-road too, obvs.

There’s a couple of these in budget.

88A660F8-E696-451B-B77F-A8E98D82C215.thumb.jpeg.9c03ecadef3f36265ef386686d52a6cc.jpeg

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F223830343113

It’s an auto, but then it’s a Toyota so it’s indestructible.

(Southampton is handy for the Islands, right?)

Edit: Rod beat me to it. The shiter in me says Land Rover, but if I had an actual job to do, that needed doing, I’d be in a Toyota every time.

He won’t buy one, but you literally cannot beat a 2.9 TD Rexton. Huge inside, very comfortable, easy to drive, run the mega-tough Bosch rotary pump on a full tank of SVO all year round (add 5L of your ‘thinner’ of choice in freezing temps), they don’t rust and the 5 pot licenced MB OM002 unit sounds ace, plus it’s coupled to a tough AF Tremec ‘box. Tows 3.5T, we’ll built and rock solid.

4WD selector is button operated (vacuum system). But bung some MT’s on and you’re laughing.

All for around a grand.

You've already got an XJ on the list, however I would add the back isn't the biggest for adults. It has quite a high floor and low back seat, so a tad uncomfortable, but I have had 5 adults in mine before.  

If you wanted something not huge though it'd be ideal. 

If looking at something bigger WJ grand Cherokee can be found cheap, some have the same Merc 5 pot as your ml as well. 

1 minute ago, Timewaster said:

Aren't 2.4 Surfs prone to HGF and porous heads? 

If they overheat, the head warps against the block, cracking the head between the valves...  however, if you don't mind changing the radiator and waterpump once every 20 years they're ok!  

I hear this a lot, and it is a reputation they really don't deserve.  Mine is 28 years old, on 220,000 kms and is well maintained.  It has never, EVER even thought about letting me down...  (Obviously, some vital part has just clanged onto the driveway as I typed that), but seriously... a 28 year old Land Rover would have driven me round the bend seventy-billion times by now!

WP_20170211_16_50_15_Pro.thumb.jpg.fbd8fe28408429acff56a111faf8b264.jpg 

8 minutes ago, TrabbieRonnie said:

If they overheat, the head warps against the block, cracking the head between the valves...  however, if you don't mind changing the radiator and waterpump once every 20 years they're ok!  

I hear this a lot, and it is a reputation they really don't deserve.  Mine is 28 years old, on 220,000 kms and is well maintained.  It has never, EVER even thought about letting me down...  (Obviously, some vital part has just clanged onto the driveway as I typed that), but seriously... a 28 year old Land Rover would have driven me round the bend seventy-billion times by now!

WP_20170211_16_50_15_Pro.thumb.jpg.fbd8fe28408429acff56a111faf8b264.jpg 

I do like a good Surf. Y no fishnets m8

1 minute ago, TrabbieRonnie said:

T'was but an option nobody ticked for mine... still nice though!

When I fancied some for my SW20 (before using my sensible head and accepting they would all be fucked, now) I was sniffing around the breaking Surf’s (ha) for ages to try and bag a pair, but drew a a blank, also.

There's little to choose between the 200tdi and 300tdi. The 200 is a little tougher, but the 300 isn't much weaker, slightly less optimal cooling but still over cooled if anything from standard so have a fair margin of error, and still a rock solid engine in the grand scheme of things. Their issue isn't so much mechanical reliability, but what they're bolted into being rust free. Discos boot floor rot gets the bad press, but truthfully, it's the rear crossmember and front inner wings that are the real killers.

Surfs are interesting but suffer similar issues IMO. My old college lecturer about got bankrupted by one that  OMGHGF'd on the collection run and cracked the heads. Nice looking old things though and if looked after properly, should be utterly reliable.  Would certainly go there.

Perhaps something like the 3.1td trooper.... not the 3.0 under any circumstance.

I really liked the Ford Maverick we had,  same as a Terrano, hard to find one that isn't completely rotten though! We now have a Kia Sorento - that could be an option? Not sure how good off road it is as we only got it to tow. It's also difficult to find one of these that isn't Completely rotten either! 

2 hours ago, overrun said:

He won’t buy one, but you literally cannot beat a 2.9 TD Rexton. Huge inside, very comfortable, easy to drive, run the mega-tough Bosch rotary pump on a full tank of SVO all year round (add 5L of your ‘thinner’ of choice in freezing temps), they don’t rust and the 5 pot licenced MB OM002 unit sounds ace, plus it’s coupled to a tough AF Tremec ‘box. Tows 3.5T, we’ll built and rock solid.

4WD selector is button operated (vacuum system). But bung some MT’s on and you’re laughing.

All for around a grand.

I had a sniff about for one myself (all your fault I might add) but struggled to find a 290?

15 minutes ago, dome said:

I had a sniff about for one myself (all your fault I might add) but struggled to find a 290?

They are the ideal spare motor, just there when you have a dirty/heavy job for them.

Shame you couldn’t find a 290. On the rare occasion I notice another on the road, it’s always a common rail.

I’ve had mine over three years now, and aside from sticking some MT’s on, I’ve done the brakes, bottom arms (ball joints were gone and are welded in) and a pair of drop links.

I’m very reluctant to imagine ever getting rid, as I don’t believe I could replace it, considering I only paid a grand. It’s nice that it’s just there, ready to bark up, whenever the need arises, and when MOT time comes around, no rust to worry about (the biggy for me!). It’s been sitting with the rear of the sills packed with mud for weeks, now.

Nothing phases it.

If you’re still looking, I hope you find a suitable one.

2 hours ago, TrabbieRonnie said:

hear this a lot, and it is a reputation they really don't deserve. 

Maybe when they were imported in big numbers in the mid 90s they came over without antifreeze or something? 

I remember them having a bit of a reputation, deserved or not. 

29 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

If you could find one, a later Daihatsu Fourtrak would fit the bill. 

But non-rotten ones are hard to locate these days...probably even more so in Scotchland!

Sold mine years ago, poked the sills by accident, explored further to find they were mostly cornflakes and I couldnt even get a quote for getting welded.
A shame really as it was happy dragging its arse through mud.

How about a one owner, full history Fourtrak with 26,000 miles ?

image.png.4d62430a68b00812b61ef62f7af657bf.png

Trouble is you could only buy a quarter of it for your budget.

MK2 CRV has a sort of hydraulic version of the viscous coupling in a freelander. It works well for what it is but not really a proper 4x4 system. Brilliant cars though and will run forever on nothing but neglect. I did 45,000 miles over 6 years in one with no FTP's and nothing bar routine service items.

Disco 200/300 slow dependable old donkey but my fuck do they rot. As already mentioned everybody talks about boot floors but that repair is a walk in the park compared to the utter misery that is inner wings and headlight boxes. 

Maverick, mate had an early one years ago. Miserable rot box but very capable 4x4 system with a LSD as standard in the back axle IIRC.

Most important consideration for a budget 4x4 though is tyres. A good 4x4 on shit tyres is going nowhere when it comes to mud and snow and good tyres cost £££££. In the last decent snow we had in Scotland (Dec 2010) I had a landrover 90 with nearly new 265 mud tyres. I could drive up ridiculously steep local roads through 12" of fresh snow without even engaging the diff lock such was the combination of traction and ground clearance.