Suggestions please - 4x4 needed for a very specific purpose.

320touring

Hi folks,

Bit of an odd one here.

A mate of mine has recently retired to A Scottish Island, and has taken on the role of being an emergency switcher for the power grid.

Essentially, he is on call 24/7 to attend any power failures, and is the first line person for diagnosing faults, and isolating them.

He has asked me to look for a suitable 4x4 to be used as his response vehicle.

I have worked out a rough spec, as below.

Key things :-

simplicity - the vehicle will be sitting for long periods, so no complex electronics

proper 4x4 - no haldex etc

short wheelbase - for better approach/departure angles

mechanical pumped diesel if possible, or simple petrol unit

manual - avoids complexity of an auto box

must be able to carry 3-5 adults plus tools - so that rules out Jimnys :(

easy to get off-road tyres for. Most of the sites are on farmland or hillside, so road tyres won't cut it.

budget is £2000 (preferably less, so servicing etc can be done too)

I'm only looking for suggestions of vehicles - so I can show him some options before I start hunting in earnest..

current thoughts

Disco 1

Shogun 

Merc ML

Rav 4

Terrano/Maverick

Jeep Cherokee xj

Isuzu trooper 3.1

Hilux surf

L200 crew cab

Vitara

Hyundai Terracan

MK2 Honda CR-V

Nissan Patrol

Ssangyong Rexton / Musso. 

Subaru Forrester

Landcruiser Colorado

Anyone any other suggestions? No P38/L322/FREELANDERS :) or fronterrors ;)

cheers

Don't go for a 3.0 diesel trooper as they are a right pain when injectors fail. injectors are oil fired and when seals go diesel fills up the sump leading to overun. You can't replace the internal seals.  BUT  the  3.1  trooper is older cheaper and with no injector issues. 

8 minutes ago, New POD said:

Disco 1 ? Is that like a defender in a suit ? Or more classic range rover with 1980s styling ? 

Obviously the choice of champions. I know nothing about them, but hey.

It was based on the Classic Range Rover chassis which was 100", but had a unique and no less rust prone body. The tdi and v8 were shared with both Rangeys and Defenders but they had  higher gearing than the latter for 40mpg*

*old Land Rover joke

5 minutes ago, warch said:

I'd go for a Jimny if petrol, or an older Shogun if diesel. Soft roaders are fine in most situations too. I got around the roads on a windfarm scheme in a diesel Golf, sharing the roads with 40ton dumpers.

Jimny is too small ( did say that in my post;)

Shogun already on the list cheers

If you're considering RAV4s for your shortlist, I'd maybe bung down an older Subaru Forester for consideration.

After two years with mine, I've no regrets and it seems to fit all the criteria laid down, if you can find a manual n/a 2.0 pez version. Seems to be a fair few around the £1k mark local to me.

Enough room for 5 adults plus tools over rough ground, and I've been impressed with the build quality - nuts and bolts underneath still in good fettle, which I think would be little more than corroded nubs on comparable 17-year-old cars.

It lives outside all year round, on the coast, and hasn't let me down (yet).

Best of luck!

Subaru Forester 2.0 petrol

My dad had a Y reg one for 8-9 years , his mate serviced it, never broke down once , then my sister had it until the clutch was 99% worn out, sold it to 2 guys in Scotland that wanted it as a taxi

This type of thing

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Forester-2-0-blk-lth-XEn/223619605977?hash=item3410c465d9:g:BaIAAOSw6CxdT8BE

19 minutes ago, warch said:

It was based on the Classic Range Rover chassis which was 100", but had a unique and no less rust prone body. The tdi and v8 were shared with both Rangeys and Defenders but they had  higher gearing than the latter for 40mpg*

*old Land Rover joke

Olli???? 

Under 2 grand, you'll struggle to get a big Japanese 4x4 or pickup that isn't shagged. Discovery's and the like can be had in budget but can be a lottery for the unwary. Shoguns were rather more popular than Landcruisers and Patrols in the UK so they are more likely to be in budget too. 

I'd say a petrol 4x4 may be the way to go, these are often way cheaper than a diesel, won't have worked so hard, and are cheaper to buy because everyone wants a diesel despite the economy savings often being fairly minor, especially off road.

You might find a Landcruiser Colorado in budget, not as big as a full size 80series etc but you'd never get one of those in budget.

Lwb has plenty enough space and are very capable off road when needed, I used to compete very successfully in one in off road competitions.

The 1kzte has a reputation for blowing head gaskets but it's normally down to owner neglect. 

If you want to know any more then feel free to ask.

6 minutes ago, Timewaster said:

Are there any Fronterrors left? 

eeeehhh, I think they may be in te same category as the p38 etc - as in too shonky for the job..

4 minutes ago, mrdelmonti said:

You might find a Landcruiser Colorado in budget, not as big as a full size 80series etc but you'd never get one of those in budget.

Lwb has plenty enough space and are very capable off road when needed, I used to compete very successfully in one in off road competitions.

The 1kzte has a reputation for blowing head gaskets but it's normally down to owner neglect. 

If you want to know any more then feel free to ask.

good shout -will add them to the list

38 minutes ago, gm said:

What do Scottish Power themselves use up in the highlands ? 

I used to work for WPD/Central Networks - bit different in the Midlands granted but they used Defenders for rural work - they seem to be replacing them with Isuzu DMax pickups now you can’t buy them. 

He won’t even get a battered ex utility Defender for £2k sadly!