70s-90s B road blaster

hpi_matrix

Amazed no one has suggested an R8 Rover, the 216 Gti or 220/420 is pretty quick and the 2 doo versions are an unusual sight these days, the handling might not be up there with the French hot hatches , but I'm pretty sure they'd be nailed to their back bumper on a windy road, you'd just be trying a bit harder.

image.jpeg.430a2ae10ba936036333066b52794463.jpeg

Although if you can find one a 1.9 Volcane would be my choice, the 2.0s are fine but the with no cat and stupid low gearing the 1.9 was a little hooligan.

image.jpeg.3209b70fa9c49a5b2fba2e5a589cb1ff.jpeg

9 minutes ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

Amazed no one has suggested an R8 Rover, the 216 Gti or 220/420 is pretty quick and the 2 doo versions are an unusual sight these days, the handling might not be up there with the French hot hatches , but I'm pretty sure they'd be nailed to their back bumper on a windy road, you'd just be trying a bit harder.

<engage giffer>

Quite.

French hatches...comprende vous the question??

Brexit means Brexit, eh.

<disengage giffer>

Handling on the R8 is vastly improved by doing just two things: replace all the suspension bushes with new (no need for polybush, oem is fine), and fit slightly shorter springs.  I never found the handling limits on mine after this, the car was more capable than I was confident.  Sadly gone for scrap now, it was a great car while I had it, just a bit too competent and reliable for me.

20170924-01.jpg.87300a93fea64ce5c3668e5fc2da569d.jpg

1 hour ago, Vince70 said:

I might be biased but I would look at an E36 318ti hatch as it’s basically a rear wheel drive hot (warm) hatch 

These are a real hoot to drive and quite nippy being 140bhp and it has torsion bar rear suspension unlike the the normal Z axle E36 So has a more 80s feel to it.

You should get a nice one for under 2grand and the prices are on the up so you can’t lose.

You can’t have mine though as it took me ages to find a real nice rust free one and could never part with it.

Semi training arms on the rear. Like an E30 3-series or E36 Z3. 

I'll stand by what I said about the mk 3 Golf. Even when I was test driving sheds in the buying process I was still amazed at how they got such a bad rep. Not to say that there are many more choices here that would be equal or better.

How did that Rover end up for scrap Vulgalour, didn't it only need an engine mount or something when chompy had it?:-(

Thinking a little more left field and if you want bonus shite points how does a Hyundai Accent MVi sit with you?

Unusual, reliable, a bit plain jane in looks, not ridiculously fast though certainly competent, and aren’t that expensive to buy as nobody really wants a 1990s High n dry. 

Or a Charade GTti?

How about an MR2? A good MK1 is probably out of budget if you're looking at things around £2k though

A MK2 is a bit more of a cruiser and they rust. A MK3 whilst on paper not that exciting is a very rewarding car to drive, even in standard 140bhp guise. 

You'd maybe get a converted 2zz one for that kind of money but they're a bit more mental. The "VTEC yo" doesn't kick in til around 5500 in 2nd and if you keep your toe in you'll be doing silly speeds in no time. 

If you've got more to spend I'll have my locost up for sale before the summer....

post-7629-0-19456800-1524170929.thumb.jpg.cfd779e4f8df430d4d93a7c612c29544.jpg

P.S. one of the worst cars I've ever driven was a MK3 Golf GTi owned by @Fraz on here. I had to drive it back from a collection mission to proxima centauri, or so it felt at the time. Having came from MK2 Gtis and 205 GTis  which I road rallied back in the day it came as massive disappointment. Gutless, lardy and not fit to carry the GTi badge

I'm going to vote for the MGF/TF here, or an MR2 mk2.  Both available at Shite prices and both a bucket of fun to drive.  If you can spare more money, Fiat X1/9 or -looks over to left field just in time - MG Maestro 2.0 or Turbo.  Your chances of a Turbo are pretty damn slim but the 2.0 I had some years ago was splendid: docile around town but an animal once I got to the local lanes.  Bonus points for the pure giffer looks of it too.

But the other three, all mid-engined, will do exactly what you want.

16 minutes ago, dome said:

In the true forum style of recommending that you've owned, my Scimitar se6 was a rewarding thing to hoon. Not particularly quick in the grand scheme of things but involving enough to be rewarding.

+1 for a Scimitar. The SE6/6a can still be had for cheaps

3 hours ago, spartacus said:

How did that Rover end up for scrap Vulgalour, didn't it only need an engine mount or something when chompy had it?:-(

Primarily, it shat its gearbox (we knew it was tired, and the R65 isn't the most robust unit) and Chompy had to get recovered and then, well, you know how it is with old cars that aren't worth much.

7 hours ago, J-T said:

Pug 306 GTI/Rallye is a good shout, they've never gone daft in price and are quick. I had one when I was 19 and thought I was a driving god, right up until I exited a roundabout backwards when demonstrating my prowess at lift off oversteer. I then did it again 3 months later and twatted a kerb and bent the rear beam. Don't get me wrong, I was utterly shit but they're probably one of the last fwd cars made where they are snappy to the point that you can get into trouble. Clio 182s etc seemed more forgiving.

Ah right yes, so this excellent out of the packet car only needed a hot cam, different suspension and , remap and exhaust...that's why they were slated. They were fine driven in isolation, but drive a competitor and they were crap, just a vaguely sporty trim level. I imagine the 16v was a lot better but I only ever drove an 8v and that's all there was at launch.

My favourite ever car of this description was the AE82 Corolla Twincam, I had 3 of them. They were quick in their day, although not really now, but you could extract every inch of performance out of them without being really daft, they were so revvy. I can still hear the exhaust note now. But your chances of finding one at all now are virtually nil and if you do it'll be a spammed up shitbox in Bradford with a 6 grand price tag that it is not worth. This was my last one.

403632439.jpg

The four door version was  a bit of a laugh, had several as hire cars, this almost certainly isnt one of them.

image.png.fc2f9067f55669cfbade6ee2967f1e69.png

Collection thread would make a good read though

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-bakkies/midrand/39-88-toyota-corolla-gli-twincam-16v/1006792834160911068064809

Best B-road blaster I've ever had was my Suzuki Cappuccino.

Mine had a freer flowing exhaust than stock and had been remapped to around 90bhp we reckon.  It sounded like a cross between a bike and an 80s F1 car when you had your foot down.

It weighed about as much as a postage stamp and seemed to steer through telepathy.  Despite being tiny I found it to be an astonishingly practical daily runaround too, managed 45mpg all day long too. 

Oh, and the three way roof (hard top, Targa or full convertible) is bloody genius.  Takes about 30 seconds to drop or raise with a bit of practice).

Mechanically it's typically 90s Japanese...so basically aside from servicing it you're not likely going to need to open the bonnet.

They are getting expensive though, and do like to rust.

The Cappuccino is the only problem I have with the MX-5...It makes the Mazda feel unnecessarily bulky... it's a very similar car, just distilled down into something about 2/3rds the size.

I seriously miss this little car.

cappo1.jpg.24ce47d5ca2dcd720746484f591aea9a.jpgcappo2.jpg.f91c4639395b2b9d139ee1cba8495333.jpgintnew.thumb.jpg.d66e6509118c11e5348ab8ba3a1c588f.jpg

5 hours ago, yes oui si said:

I didn't call it 'excellent out of the packet' - wind your neck in. 

No, you just said you couldn’t understand how much criticism they attract before reeling off a list of modifications that yours had. Drive a stock 8v - they’re shit. My dad’s mate was selling a silver one that I had a good drive in when I wanted to ‘upgrade’ from my first Corolla. I remember being genuinely shocked at how much the Golf was was outgunned in every way other than comfort by a car 9 years older than it. That’s how I ended up with the 306 GTI. Which was better by every measure.

ANYWAY E36 328i  can still be had cheap if it’s not a sport. Also Alfa 145 Cloverleaf but they’re an acquired taste (I love em!) and most are rotten underneath now, sills & floorpans go. Both would be good for the odd blast. Fiat Coupe Turbos still cheap for the performance but it’s a brave choice! 

7 hours ago, LoftyvRS said:

Something practical and underrated maybe? What about a Nissan Primera P10 eGT? Sublime handling, good performance and practical to boot!

P10s very rarely come up for sale and you'd be lucky to see one for £2k. Maybe a P11, but they all rust. Almera GTi might be easier to find.

There used to be plenty about. I think they are popular with the road rally crew so maybe all been snapped up.

Apparently Lancer Evo suspension bolts straight on and the 1.8 Mitsubishi engine is good for 170bhp with some head work and cams so not a bad motor really.

Added cool points for fake rivets and being utterly shite,