Hoarding for speculation

Aston Martin

Time for a ramble.... I was reading an article, I forget where and it was about how the Japanese have been storing good R34 Skylines for years in preparation for when they can hit the USA, which is what they also did for R32 and R33s.

One commenter said "People are doing the same thing with Saxo VTS'ses. But for the UK" I was intrigued as when was the last time you saw one for sale? Let alone bombing about.

I checked Howmanyleft for various cars and I found the numbers interesting. I'm not saying they're all concours specials, but are people hoarding "everyday cars"? 

I wondered if all Saxos were the same ratio of road legal/sorn. The Furio which is just a base model-ish car, has double the amount of sorn to road legal, same as the VTR. The VTS is 5 times sorn to road legal.

I was surprised by the amount of Lupo GTIs on the road and there's alot left still accountable for, only 150 have been scrapped. 

Ramble over.

FF7D59F4-B273-4006-9531-80AC93305D08.png

152AB270-F5BD-4D3E-B324-AAF1C3EF5402.png

1D24D35D-CCE1-4DBD-9C8E-475FAC7D2B2A.png

D483F5B8-2DCC-4862-AF66-1B46314BF377.png

A97EB93F-2C26-45AD-87B1-9A7F24821AE3.png

Bloke I know is a mk2 cavalier mentalist. 

At one point I counted 8 mk2 cavaliers spread around his gardens and garages.

More importantly he had a massive shed full if new old stock. 

Mostly GM originals too.  

He pretty much bought up anything being sold in bulk at a knock down price.  7 headlights for £30? Who else would buy them all ?  

Then he'd occassionally flog them if he thought you worthy enough.  You'd pay £20 a a single headlight if you were trying to go concourse or you'd had a bash. 

It was proper old fashioned hoarding.  He had no real intention to make money.  He just used any sales money to buy more. 

He also had a good relationship with all the local scrap yards, and would buy up bits of trim and rear seat belts and rare electronics modules.  

25 minutes ago, New POD said:

Mostly GM originals too.  

He pretty much bought up anything being sold in bulk at a knock down price.  7 headlights for £30? Who else would buy them all ?  

Then he'd occassionally flog them if he thought you worthy enough.  You'd pay £20 a a single headlight if you were trying to go concourse or you'd had a bash. 

It was proper old fashioned hoarding.  He had no real intention to make money.  He just used any sales money to buy more. 

He also had a good relationship with all the local scrap yards, and would buy up bits of trim and rear seat belts and rare electronics modules.  

I think this has happened with MK2 MR2's. There are some companies who hoard them and they can then demand a higher price due to lack of those being broken cheaply in the drive. The ones around now are looked after, or stripped for parts.

51 minutes ago, New POD said:

Mostly GM originals too.  

Has to be Rab, from Wrexham. Nice bloke, even if he does have an Iv*co.

10 minutes ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

My tip for something worth putting away is also probably pretty high up in the SORN thing- P38 Range Rover, I'm not very good at deciphering HML? But there are nearly 25,000 Range Rovers on SORN , I bet a lot of em are P38s .

20,000 of those are probably on the road with tax free VINs... 

34 minutes ago, stripped fred said:

I think this has happened with MK2 MR2's. There are some companies who hoard them and they can then demand a higher price due to lack of those being broken cheaply in the drive. The ones around now are looked after, or stripped for parts.

Lack of them being broken cheaply?

There’s countless ones being broken every day, either by a one man band or the likes of MR MR2 etc.
Good and rare parts are another issue altogether, though.

It can’t continue for much longer. I’ll be glad when all the rusty shitters are no more and cars like my turbo appreciate in value like they fully deserve to (everything else has).

There is a  track based saxo only young persons racing event. A lad and his father come in work. He says bits are getting hard to find and the cars are getting expensive to Replace. 

I believe alot were used for the younger banger racers and autograss events aswell as the many that got stolen,modified or crashed on the roads. 

Just now, Liggle said:

R32 and R33 yes but never R34! 

Maybe then lol. I remember plenty of R32/3 GTS-T’s for £FUCKALL and the GT-R’s themselves for well under £10K.

I passed up a fresh import, totally standard 32 GT-R for £4500 in about 2002, as I hadn’t a hope in hell of insuring it.

2 hours ago, Cavcraft said:

Has to be Rab, from Wrexham. Nice bloke, even if he does have an Iv*co.

I remember him ringing me from.a scrap yard telling me he'd found a power steering pump for my CalibrE and then driving all the way to Formby and helping me fit it whilst his wife drank tea in the lounge. 

My wife got a hell of a shock when she came downstairs to find a strange Welsh woman on the sofa. 

3 hours ago, overrun said:

Re the R34 GT-R and Yanks paying over the odds to import once they are 25 etc... I was talking to a mate a year or two back and we are sure you could get them for around £10K here at one point.

Anyone remember?

Decent R34s were down to £13k around 2004 - mate of mine picked one up fairly easily at that price.

5 minutes ago, timolloyd said:

Can’t believe there hasn’t been any Inva-wang in this thread yet?

Most of those are only hoarded cos they aren't worth weighing in and take up very little space/are too much hassle to shift! But are no doubt faster, with better handling than a 34 GT-R. If only the Nissan had paralleogram suspension.

12 hours ago, overrun said:

Lack of them being broken cheaply?

There’s countless ones being broken every day, either by a one man band or the likes of MR MR2 etc.
Good and rare parts are another issue altogether, though.

It can’t continue for much longer. I’ll be glad when all the rusty shitters are no more and cars like my turbo appreciate in value like they fully deserve to (everything else has).

I meant the mk1's. I might be a bit out of touch though.