No NI MOTs.... for a bit.

scdan4

7 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

"Good wee runabout, starts first time"

FB_IMG_1434072181270.jpg.3ccc06210177909aa925378ae4013b30.jpg

FB_IMG_1434072165976.jpg.6531233d6fbbfb081c460d120a7aade0.jpg

FB_IMG_1434072172970.jpg.103be291680eea398b92402bc437cab8.jpg

I honestly remember seeing cars not far off this state still in daily use on Achill c.1990...

That reminds me of the Trabant P601 Estate left in the middle of a field on Achill. Saw that in 2001. Wonder if the thing's still there....?

My mot tester uses the shake tester ramps, they have done for a number of years now. I think it's due to the fact they can them have one man tests as I've never seen them use an assistant to help. 

They're good lads though and in truth if they know you and the car is in good order, they'll let you by on things they can advise on. 

I did laugh once though, I put new lower arms on my 328i as a bit of a refurb project and took it for the mot which it failed on the shake test, the Bush fell right out . 

I took the brand new parts back to the factors and the boss blamed their testing machine and said it would have been OK elsewhere!!! OK so don't ever drive down a bumpy road again then? He did swap them out and some better quality items got me through OK. 

Yeah cracks in framework can lead to some issues. Honda quality machinery pictured. 

Screenshot_20200206-113714_WhatsApp.jpg

17 hours ago, Spurious said:

So the NCT has a couple of oddities

First, about 8 years ago, people who knew dodgy testers were leaving €100 in the glove box and the vehicle was passed.  Prime Time (equiv of panorama on BBC) exposed this.  Bit of a joke at the time but we all knew it could be happening.  (https://www.thejournal.ie/varadkar-eight-nct-staff-sacked-since-prime-time-expose-359532-Feb2012/)

Secondly,  they test for shock absorber imbalance using some sort of shaking machine.  However if all the shocks are equally shagged you'll get a pass.  Unlike the UK where unless they're leaking out fluid it's usually a pass but don't test for imbalance. 

Lastly, they're pretty anal sometimes.  Have failed for indicators not being sufficiently orange which is just pathetic.  Not convinced either way on the independent test stations argument, they'll usually get the €28 euro retest fee if it goes on a ramp/equipment so a lot of time I think they fail for the sakes of it.  Still making easy money. 

No NCT on Motorcycles in the republic of Ireland and to be fair, there wasn't an NCT on anything until about 2001 or 2002 I think.  I remember some right rotboxes going around. 

Indicators not sufficiently orange is a failure in the U.K. too

People have failed the NCT on not having the county name in Irish at the top of the number plates, too.

There's nothing in the spec about the size and style of how this should be written, so anecdotally people simply wrote it back onto the plate with a Sharpie and the testers had no choice but to issue a pass :D

On 2/6/2020 at 4:18 PM, balford said:

People have failed the NCT on not having the county name in Irish at the top of the number plates, too.

There's nothing in the spec about the size and style of how this should be written, so anecdotally people simply wrote it back onto the plate with a Sharpie and the testers had no choice but to issue a pass :D

Do you get extra points for having "Fuck Schillaci" on it too?

On 2/6/2020 at 9:25 AM, Tadhg Tiogar said:

That reminds me of the Trabant P601 Estate left in the middle of a field on Achill. Saw that in 2001. Wonder if the thing's still there....?

Found it in a folder. This was it - the Achill Trabant!

1887829090_IrishTrabant!.thumb.jpg.a6a17df32828e5b31a85aaff0b97b592.jpg

On 2/6/2020 at 4:18 PM, balford said:

People have failed the NCT on not having the county name in Irish at the top of the number plates, too....

My 635CSi used to pass the MoT over here with the county name! Never any comment about the *kof*incorrect*kof* Euroflag code either.....

DSC00052.thumb.JPG.8dd46c4f07807f2547a9f7a11bba59d9.JPG

And.... there was a franchise dealer somewhere over in norn iron for all things reliant... back in the 70s. Scimitar etc were sold new in norn iron, and I have a work mate who still has his dad's one owner from new reliant 3 wheeler hatchback thing on a very fancy (total fluke) norn iron registered number plate... chassis is toast though 

I've recently acquired yet another talbot samba rally car, which was intended to be used on the road soon.... given the circumstances over here that's not looking likely. To qualify for the exemptions the last MOT has to be expired no more than 6 months. Ferry and road trip to Scottish land for day trip MOT test possibly???