Saving the Panda (TLC for the road warrior)

Ian_Fearn

Ouch, been there! Will you be needing a general anaesthetic?

I had my cornea scraped under a local, it was one of the weirdest experiences of my life! Fortunately it didn't take too long, didn't hurt and healed quickly. :)  The most difficult bit was trying to stick ointment into my own eye for the following week...

1 hour ago, Ian_Fearn said:

I’m now sat in A+E……

Turns out I got a piece of metal embedded in my cornea repairing the rear axle. Apparently got to have my cornea scraped.

Shit.

You have my sympathy on that. Did the same welding the MGB up a few years ago, even wearing safety glasses.

The only comfort I had was that the doctor who looked into my eyes to confirm what I'd done (and the scars are still there), just laughed and told me he'd done exactly the same fixing his Land Rover and he'd had somewhat less sympathy from his colleagues when he turned up in A&E !!

I’m out. What a strange experience, not a pleasant one either but it’s out. They removed the piece of metal and then had to scrub the cornea to get rid of the rust! That’s right, my eye was rusting like a 70s Fiat.

All I can say is, thank goodness for the NHS. What a bloody brilliant service that really is. The lady that dealt with me was fantastic, despite me telling her I am an idiot, she was super kind and professional.

The wife has been driving the Panda this afternoon and when she collected me from hospital I noticed it’s now showing 67mpg!! She’s only been pottering round the houses in it!

• 3 weeks later...

Back to old faithful, the blue Panda. This car is a real trooper. I can’t imagine ever finding a car more suited to my needs.

As mentioned on the grumpy thread, i am so tired of replacing newish shocks. Virtually every one of my fleet has needed replacements for shocks I’ve changed within a year of fitting. Bilsteins, Monroe and others have all proved worthless.

I finally thought I’d solved it with Sachs shocks but after less than 5k, the passenger side rear on blue Panda is knocking its nuts off. At least they are super quick to change.

As a result, I bought the cheapest shittiest shocks I could find. These are branded NAPA which is an American brand trying to get a foothold in the European market. The know it all’s on the internet suggest they are made by KYB which I have high* hopes for. £31 for a pair delivered and a 3 year warranty.

7F0F1CC1-021C-4B1E-B34B-93DA649B0816.thumb.jpeg.2820853e823a71ca43e646b69ae7623a.jpeg

47D8323D-97BD-46AB-A2F6-D0301AF25FD5.thumb.jpeg.12c6b779906b69bf736ba014803fe12a.jpeg

• Ian_Fearn changed the title to Saving the Panda (TLC for the road warrior)