Australian Cars In The UK

Richard_FM

43 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Doubt that’ll seal the road again it looks properly rotten.

My thoughts exactly. I’d have a go at restoring that if it hadn’t been sat in a bush for 15 years. I wonder if mk1 carlton doors are the same? But then again what’s the underside like? Probably toast. That’ll be on the oval no doubt. The 5 stud hubs are worth the starting bid anyway. 

15 minutes ago, sutty2006 said:

My thoughts exactly. I’d have a go at restoring that if it hadn’t been sat in a bush for 15 years. I wonder if mk1 carlton doors are the same? But then again what’s the underside like? Probably toast. That’ll be on the oval no doubt. The 5 stud hubs are worth the starting bid anyway. 

The irony being you could import a rust free Commodore for less than the body restoration would cost on that. 

16 hours ago, sierraman said:

The irony being you could import a rust free Commodore for less than the body restoration would cost on that. 

I think this scenario is getting less feasible, as early Commodore prices have skyrocketed. There's currently one car on Trademe that's cheaper than the one on Ebay and it's not pretty:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/holden/listing/2992824926?bof=RycUolTD

Indeed, here's a current rundown of all the Commodores on sale on Trademe, up to 1988:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/CategoryAttributeSearchResults.aspx?search=1&cid=268&sidebar=1&rsqid=5c72e6fe3cfe492886fc28855516e851-002&sidebarSearch_keypresses=0&sidebarSearch_suggested=0&14=Holden&15=Commodore&21=&1=&minPrice=&maxPrice=&13=-1&13=-1&24=0&24=1988&309=0&309=0&54=commodore&searchRegion=100

Granted, Australia will have more options but shipping alone would be pricey, let alone potential transport costs to the port, depending where they are.

It really is time I chucked some time/money at mine and get the 308 and Celica 5 speed installed and up and running:

35647584415_1603e85cc4_z.jpg

When visiting the UK back in 2004, I went to a village fete in Pangbourne.  As I was leaving, I spotted a Holden Apollo that I presume some Aussie expat brought with him from Kangarooland.  Evidently, rebadging Toyotas as various GM products wasn't only limited to North America....

(Photo from Wikipedia)

1993-1995_Holden_Apollo_(JM)_SLX_sedan_(

I recall a car dealer in Deal having a dark green VN Calais for sale for ages and ages in the late 1990s. The advert for it in the local paper described it as an 'Australian Vauxhall Senator', which it obviously wasn't. I subsequently saw it on the road a few times in the area around 2001.

On 3/8/2021 at 3:50 AM, davocano said:

Spotted this VN SV5000 in leafy* Surrey back in 2012; last MOT expired in July 2018.

It wasn't in perfect condition even then, I hope it's not now decaying like that VC up there.

Going for big money over here now!..(obviously not in that condition 🤣)

• 1 month later...

I like that, I’d keep all the mismatched repairs on the doors. Let’s hope it doesn’t get bought by some idiot with a mouth full of sausages who’ll chop it and put the wrong black and white plates on it or make some half fucking baked effort in painting it Matt black. Or only slightly worse leave it out for some men with necks like birthday cakes to drive round in circles into other cars. 

Shame, but it must be hinging to make it only fit for breaking?

Possibly have quite a demand for the parts as they'll be someone needing something. The LS and gearbox will likely sell quickly too? 

Quite fancy a Monaro someday. But alas, even a shagged one is probably out of my reach money wise. 

55 minutes ago, dome said:

A friend of mine rescued this recently. Sadly its likely to be a breaker. 

IMG_20210313_171053014.jpg

What's up with it.  There's not many for sale and they seem to have all gone above 12k whereas a year and a half ago you could get one for £9k retail. 

I'd like one too. But could never justify that level of money in any car. 

Looking at the MOT history.  It failed in May 2012, had just enough done to pass a couple of weeks later, but was never put in for am MOT again. 

Advisories in June 2012 included.

Both front tyres (a recurring theme) 

Brake discs worn from and rear. 

All brake pipes corroded. 

And brakes only just passing. 

The previous pass was Dec 2009 so it had at least 2.5 years in storage and has been off road for 8 years now. 

On 4/14/2021 at 11:30 AM, treehugger said:

Anybody know how much this went for? 

On 4/14/2021 at 11:45 AM, sierraman said:

£620. 

On 4/14/2021 at 11:51 AM, mitsisigma01 said:

Or £920...or £550 relisted again and again 

Sounds like seller was never satisfied with sub-£1000 results, and convinced himself it was worth way above its true value....