Australian Cars In The UK

Richard_FM

There was a MadMax replica Falcon coupe in a front garden in Whitehaven, Cumbria for a few years. The guy who owned it always had some interesting classics in his garden, in various states of disrepair, and as this is opposite a petrol station I used to have a look when I was filling up to see what he had.  The Falcon disappeared about 5 years ago, but could well be in his garage being restored. No reg or pics, sadly. 

I’d be surprised if it was one of the two Scottish Falcons - it didn’t seem anywhere near that rusty. It was almost a full-on replica too, with the droopsnoot style nose, and the boot lid spoiler. No supercharger sticking through the bonnet from what I can remember though. It also had a piece of cardboard stuck in the windscreen with “no, it’s not a genuine one from the film and no, it’s not for sale” scrawled on it. 

I read somewhere that Hummer is to return, as an electric SUV.  It’s probably bollocks rumour, but GM evidently still own the brand. 

I think Holden were on borrowed time after GM parted company with Opel/Vauxhall, as most of the range seemed to be sourced from Europe. I am kind of surprised they didn’t just rebadge Korean ‘Chevrolets’ but maybe the Australia/New Zealand market wasn’t big enough to justify it.
I suspect the whole of the Holden brand’s annual sales were less than the total for Corsa or Astra across Europe. 

I also suspect GM are terrible at management, e.g. PSA managed to turn Opel/Vauxhall from loss-making to profitable in 2 years. 

On 1/27/2020 at 6:11 PM, flat4alfa said:

I looked but could not find

I assumed it was this one 

Year is right for HQ, but it was fitted with the later HZ front 

Holden_3-L.jpgHolden_1-L.jpg

That's my old HZ fitted with the statesman front, I sold it as I was planning on emigrating to NZ later in the year and didn't have time to weld it up, realistically it wanted a better shell importing.

Sadly I sold it to Pandaselecta from retrorides (not scary old Cortina who came with it and I thought would be the perfect keeper for it) he did bugger all to it then sold it to an Aussie who ripped off the GTS bits and the rest was fragged think the engine may have survived by that's all.

Panda then bought the only Holden Brougham bought into the UK officially as a demonstrator did bugger all with it and sold it to another Aussie as by that point it was only fit for spares and upgrades for his Ute, the shell will available at some point.

Junkman had all the details on the Kingswood wagon that was raced, it definitely wasn't mine and I think my have been pink originally, it was raced with the original 6 in it.

On 1/27/2020 at 11:17 PM, Jikovron said:

Aye that's a blast from a past life, Pandaman got it I think after seeing it in a piston heads advert, it had potential but the rust issues were abit extreme and the engine needed a rebuild which would have proven a sizable job finding bits given it was a Holden 308 rather than a common relatively speaking as muck 307 SBC 

Engine was rebuilt by previous owner just prior to me getting it, engine wise it was sound when it left me apart from a clogged rad.

Aye that makes sense as it boiled over a couple of times sans thermostat, and as pandaman just used it without sorting the issue it was always turning up smelling of hot oil and coolant, I was thinking of buying it off him but i had just fitted a v8 to a dolomite so nullified the need, but would definitely find room for one now.