MOT Exempt

Stevebrookman

Just a quickie.

Discovered my Royale is now MOT exempt. Looked at insuring it online and no one yet has asked if it's mot'd. Is this general or specific to the sites I've visited. Obviously don't want to find my insurance invalid. PS I will be submitting for an MOT - but I wondered why bother if it's exempt.

Steve

For the sake of £40 it’s worth testing it every year to my mind. A lot of people disagree but could very easily highlight a failing brake pipe or corrosion you’d otherwise miss on a driveway inspection. £40 is nothing in the grand scheme of things. Also makes it a bit more saleable if you were parting with it plus it covers your arse in the event of an accident happening and the insurers trying to prove it wasn’t roadworthy.

I don’t know, but that’s a very good question.

I definitely haven’t* been driving around in MOT exempt cars without it occurring to me to check the smallprint of my insurance — no sirree Bob, not me.

Just as well since I work in insurance and am personally regulated by the FCA and PRA, so getting done for no insurance would instantly kill my career.

If you check online on the MOT and tax checker it will be in a green box. Obviously if it had expired it will be red. Think as long as it's green with the DVLA it will be fine else where. I agree and disagree with getting the MOT done.when I last took the mini they failed it on things which were standard rolling off the production line. Which was silly and I had to correct them. But by the same token they pointed out my balljoint had play which actually had a stripped thread. So in a way as much as they were failing it left right and centre for things that weren't actually a fail it still pointed out things I missed no matter how trivial 

1 hour ago, Skizzer said:

I don’t know, but that’s a very good question.

I definitely haven’t* been driving around in MOT exempt cars without it occurring to me to check the smallprint of my insurance — no sirree Bob, not me.

Just as well since I work in insurance and am personally regulated by the FCA and PRA, so getting done for no insurance would instantly kill my career.

Is it something they'd even be allowed to say you have to have one even if exempted?

The insurers won’t care if its MOT’d (in my experience) just that it is safe for use on the road - most have a roadworthy clause somewhere. Trouble comes if you take out a collection of kitten owning nuns due to a mechanical failure. 

If you have an MOT you can wave that around as ‘proof’ it was safe as far as you were aware, you’re not an expert etc etc. 

However if you declined to have it tested as it’s exempt you take 100% responsibility for any issue, which is where the Insurance lads get bored and wander off, leaving you to deal with the whole outfall. 

I’ve got a Dec 79 registered car and thought that I need to get stuck into getting it tax exempt.  I am sure I read something on Gov Uk about having to wait 3 months.

As for MOT and insurance, I don’t know.  But the reason cars fail MOT’s is because in 12 months and several thousand miles, stuff wears out and breaks.  So it is all a load of bollocks really other than on the day it is tested.  A car with a valid MOT at 11.9 months, is no safer on the day before the MOT than it is on the day of failure.  But, because it has a valid MOT the perception is that it is safer.  

How many of us are guilty of ‘I need to get that done for the MOT.  Really that means the car ain’t roadworthy and we’ve known about it for a while and are only getting our arse into gear cos we want a new ticket.

at least once a year, stuff gets brought up to a standard and that is a good thing.  If MOT’s were not around, feck knows what would be on the roads

8 hours ago, Isaac Hunt said:

I’ve got a Dec 79 registered car and thought that I need to get stuck into getting it tax exempt.  I am sure I read something on Gov Uk about having to wait 3 months.

Tax exemption applies from 1st April the year following it becoming 40 years old (so yours will be exempt from 1st April this year, and some cars will be 41 years 3 months old before being exempt).  MOT exemption applies from the car's 40th birthday.  Because government.

1 hour ago, BeEP said:

Tax exemption applies from 1st April the year following it becoming 40 years old (so yours will be exempt from 1st April this year, and some cars will be 41 years 3 months old before being exempt).  MOT exemption applies from the car's 40th birthday.  Because government.

Even though these rules are annoying, I'd much rather that than going back to the fixed period exemption. The rolling exemption has much more potential of saving our motoring heritage. 

So...... My Dolomite doesn't need an MOT but still needs to be taxed until 1st April if I read the above correctly? After 1st April it needs neither? Reg is MGJ 57V. Registered October 1979. (It will be put in for an MOT though, because second opinion.)

What grips my piss about MOT exemption is that you have to declare that the vehicle is unmodified. Like this example;

372250440__DSC5803copy.thumb.jpg.ab9c7f9538931b99d3e3ff8234170ecb.jpg

The original 1200 engine replaced with a twin carb'd 1600 and a higher ratio gearbox. That's before you even see the lowered & narrowed front beam, the massively lowered rear and begin to wonder whether the chassis has been notched or the wheel-wells, tubbed. Someone somewhere will come such a fucking cropper with this.

13 minutes ago, Bobthebeard said:

So...... My Dolomite doesn't need an MOT but still needs to be taxed until 1st April if I read the above correctly? After 1st April it needs neither? Reg is MGJ 57V. Registered October 1979. (It will be put in for an MOT though, because second opinion.)

Yes, that matches my understanding of it.

11 minutes ago, barefoot said:

What grips my piss about MOT exemption is that you have to declare that the vehicle is unmodified. Like this example;

372250440__DSC5803copy.thumb.jpg.ab9c7f9538931b99d3e3ff8234170ecb.jpg

The original 1200 engine replaced with a twin carb'd 1600 and a higher ratio gearbox. That's before you even see the lowered & narrowed front beam, the massively lowered rear and begin to wonder whether the chassis has been notched or the wheel-wells, tubbed. Someone somewhere will come such a fucking cropper with this.

Yes and I also know of a fair few mismatched cars that have different makers engines and still brag about mot exemption and thinking its funny, (peugeot anyone) one friend even has 1500cc stickers on a 2lt zetec engined spitfire,  that's before looking at old rally cars. 

17 minutes ago, Bobthebeard said:

Yes, although being pedantic it still needs to be taxed after 1st April, it just won't cost you anything.  Will need to be done at a Post Office with the V5 the first time (they will send V5 away to get the tax class updated to Historic Vehicle).

31 minutes ago, BeEP said:

Yes, although being pedantic it still needs to be taxed after 1st April, it just won't cost you anything.  Will need to be done at a Post Office with the V5 the first time (they will send V5 away to get the tax class updated to Historic Vehicle).

Yes be careful with this - many EV owners get fined for not taxing their “zero road tax” cars.