Private plates: "non transferable registration"

skoda_fan

3 hours ago, Cavcraft said:

Didn't watch the programme, but imported vehicles were issued with various sequences of plates, for some reason many Lambrettas for example were issued with 'TU' as the last two letters, and I've seen quite a few imported vehicles with 'UX' and I think 'FO'.

Also, if you get a vehicle back on the road that's slipped off the DVLA system when they updated it years back, if you manage to obtain the original number they won't let you transfer it. Seen a number of bikes and scooters with 'good' registrations and the plate dealers are usually the first to enquire, then disappear into the ether when they find it's non-transferable. 

Imported vehicles etc would get issued an age related plate just the same as a vehicle which has lost its original registration etc, AFAIK anyways! they did not get any special treatment in that regard

for example JBY503J (ex LVX250J) and VES108S (ex XEV88S) are 2 vehicles I know who lost their original registrations and got issued age related plates, but if you jog to say VES110S, you get an imported kawasaki :) 

funny that the welsh registrations came up, because I was talking to Stuart just the other day, and he says they started to issue them when they thought they would run out of scottish plates

and an amusing thing (depending on your POV anyway!) was someone had a scootacar he had just restored, that had lived in scotland for most of its life and the guy was registering it anew but just under an age related plate and he thought to himself it will at least be a scottish plate and fit in with the vehicles history, only to get issued a Welsh plate!

and continuing the above example FO is a welsh reg and I know of, WFO713 and TFO720, 2 FO registrations given as age related plates to vehicles which have lost their original registrations, rather then being imports 

a fun thing you can do with age related plates/the DVLA checker is you can find vehicles imported from around the time a plate series was issued :)

take VES108S for example, it was issued in 1998, and as such since it was also issued to vehicles imported around 1998, you can find all the vehicles that were imported in 1998 for that year of age related plate (S reg so 1977/78 in this case) :) (or at least all the ones registered in scotland)

its how I used to figure out when a vehicle lost its age related plate before i had access to the commercial tools I have now,  (for example I noticed JBY503J was an age related plate, and jogging around to JBY506J for example, showed me imported vehicles with 2005 date of first registration, telling me that it must of lost its plate in 2005, and indeed that was the case)

When local plates got taken off to be sold, 'MB' was one favourite combo at the time locally. My scooter has been imported and got 'TU' (Crewe or Nantwich, iirc) and I've seen them imported to Scotland, get registered and end up with TU, too. 'FO' was Radnorshire, my dad had an Austin 3-litre that'd been registered there.

7 minutes ago, Cavcraft said:

When local plates got taken off to be sold, 'MB' was one favourite combo at the time locally. My scooter has been imported and got 'TU' (Crewe or Nantwich, iirc) and I've seen them imported to Scotland, get registered and end up with TU, too. 'FO' was Radnorshire, my dad had an Austin 3-litre that'd been registered there.

ah interesting :) 

while I THINK that suffix/prefix age related plates are still issued in according to the location they are being requested from, or where at some point in time at least

(ie you steal a vehicles plate in scotland you got a scottish age related plate, do it near London you got a London Age related plate etc etc)

but I know when it comes to non Suffix plates, due to the relative scarcity of them, you just got whatever was available/being issued at the time, regardless of where you where

so its important to note that the "rules" for age related plates are slightly different if its a suffix/prefix plate or a non suffix plate

(tho given the closure of all the DVLA offices, perhaps even Suffix/prefix plates are now issued randomly, im not 100% sure sadly)

You'd think DVLA would let original numbers (that'd been on vehicles missing for years)  be sold on as they're losing out on a few quid. It's great that it stops people plate bumming stuff, but they must be missing a trick to an extent.

30 minutes ago, Cavcraft said:

You'd think DVLA would let original numbers (that'd been on vehicles missing for years)  be sold on as they're losing out on a few quid. It's great that it stops people plate bumming stuff, but they must be missing a trick to an extent.

I sure as hell hope not! LOL

I know of plenty of vehicles, with original registrations etc that dont show up on the DVLA checker currently, but still very much exist

it would be a massive shame for them to lose their original registrations

@egg's Mk12 for example, had been stuck up a tree for gawd knows how long, and did not show up on the DVLA checker, until he brought it back to life that is :) 

but before then I bet you everyone would of said "nah m8 XWC468F is long gone dead and scrapped"

but hopefully this is why such a thing will hopefully never be implemented as you have no way of knowing if a vehicle really is dead or alive regardless of if it was last taxed in 1980 or something such

My Jag has a non-transferrable plate. 

It was first registered as B42XVH but immediately had a private plate put on, when the car was sold on from the first owner in 1989 this private number was removed - instead of reverting to the original number it was issued non-transferrable B38TRW - cannily, RW is Coventry.
It's always reverted to B38TRW in absence of a private plate since, and the original number is lost, never to be used again. 

It seems in the late 80s/early 90s if a private plate was changed on a car, it had to have a new MOT, they were rubber-stamped 'Cherished Transfer Re-Registered' and the new reg written next to the stamp. Guessing that's to do with lack of computerised systems?
As a result of this the Jag had two MOTs in as many months in 1989, original owner took his plate off, sold the car as B38TRW, only for the new owner to put an NI private plate on it!