Sportys shit(e). Another small bit of tinkering and MOT.

sporty-shite

22 hours ago, skattrd said:

I'm not a fan of the van, but I'm a big fan of the wheels, ATS cups unless I'm mistaken.

Yes, ATS cups. To be honest, they and the reg number (S11KRT) are the main reasons I bought the van. Only intended keeping it till the Astra is fixed, but it might end up growing on me. May just keep it to annoy Mrs S! 

• 2 weeks later...

So, I've made a start on the Astra. I haven't taken pictures, because my phone was playing music, and I was cracking on with the work!

Anyway, the plan was to get the injectors out, and if they came willingly, I'd buy injector seals, replace them, and then replace the turbo. 

Luckily, the injectors were cooperative, so I've ordered seals and a seat re-cutting tool. They should arrive this week, and I can crack on further.

In other news, I wet vacced the seats and carpets on the scene whore. They've come up well, and it also smells a lot more pleasant now. Will probably order some cheap ebay coilovers for the front soon, as the ride is shocking since I cut the springs, which I knew it would be, so I must be getting old.  Also discovered that the front seats are from a Polo GTi. MOAR SCENE POINTS. 

Before. Flaky paint and scene whore bonnet wrap

20200304_151956.jpg

After. Plain, flaky bonnet and covered flaky bumper. 

20200419_203131.jpg

Long story short, as I walked past it today, I wondered whether the bonnet would peel, as the sun had been shining on it, and it was quite warm. Started peeling, and it came off nice and clean. Then, I thought, "Why don't I wrap over the flaky bits of bumper with this lovely warm, pliable wrap?" 

Well, it seems to have worked fairly well. It's a definite ten yarder, but I think it's improved. 

So  after chopping the front springs and spoiling the ride, along with the ongoing gamble of them de-seating, I found done decent used coilovers on the Caddy group.on F*ceb**k. 

Got round to fitting today. One top mount was  stuck solid, so angry grinder came out to chop. 

20200421_135658.jpg

After which, I fitted the coilies,  which was pretty straightforward.  

20200421_144950.jpg

And we now have lows. I'll just have to take my time over the speed bumps. 

20200421_153912.jpg

20200421_153945.jpg

36 minutes ago, Sir Snipes said:

Bit of camber on that near side front. Might want to back it off a touch. 

Yeah, I know. Going to have it set when I get a chance. 

23 minutes ago, outlaw118 said:

Looking good Sir, has Laydee_Sporteh come round to the idea yet?

She's tolerating it! She won't go out in it, but doesn't mind it now, especially seeing that it looks a bit more respectable now. 

• 3 weeks later...

Looked at the Astra again today. The injectors are out, and I'd planned on refitting them today, However, when I've taken them out to clean, I've noticed tney have rubber seals on the shaft, that have obviously perished. My question id, can I use normal rubber O rings to replace these, or do I need to use "proper" parts. Obviously, I'm replacing the copper washers to seal the combustion chamber, but don't want to have to re-do the job if I get it wrong.

I know this might be a stupid question, but I'm pretty naïve when it comes to diesels.

So  something popped up, and I thought it would be nice to own. 

We now have the VAG trio of one VW (Bora), one Seat (Inca) and one Audi. The van will be up for sale soon, but I think I'll try it on Facebook Caddy page for maximum scene exposure!

Stress free delivery this morning, and now on the drive at SPORTY TOWERS  whilst we decide who will have it. Me or Mrs. S. 

20200606_105925.jpg

20200606_105935.jpg

20200606_105948.jpg

NIce. 03 makes it one of the last of the first gen A3s. Still think these are one of the best looking hatchbacks ever. Have you checked the door bottoms for crispyness? Behind the big chunky rubber strips is a notorious rot spot on these.

On 6/6/2020 at 5:54 PM, sporty-shite said:

We now have the VAG trio of one VW (Bora), one Seat (Inca) and one Audi. 

You need to go for the sextuplet by adding a Skoda, Bentley and Lamborghini.

As @Alusilber said, there are some known rust spots on these. The roof rails are the other ones.

There was a 160 page thread on one of the forums about all the 8L rust repairs under warranty (gesture of goodwilll from Audi so no paperwork and no warranty claim). I had about £2k worth of work down to my 9 year old a3, a car that I had bought for £1k with no service history.

I’d wager that if yours is clean, then it’s had the “gesture of goodwill”.

S, the Scene Whore has gone. Wasn't really getting any use from it, and seeing as I'd got the Audi, I didn't need it. 

Posted on Caddy and Inca group on Facebook,  and it sold same night for full asking. Result. 

Last picture from fb advert.

20200610_150711.jpg

Looks like my shite activity may slow even further soon. Insurance is due, and my trade renewal is now prohibitively expensive. Still awaiting a couple of quotes, but I can't see it coming down enough to be worthwhile.  

Finally got round to a brief update.  As you may know, I bought the forum bike A3 from Leanycan, for Mrs S to drive.  She liked it, but wasn't really feeling it, when conveniently* he messaged me to see if I wanted a deal in the roffle win Alfa. 

We all love an Alfa at Sporty Towers, so a deal was done. 

20200702_184731.jpg

• 2 months later...

So, lockdown, and not renewing my motor trade insurance, have significantly reduced my shite activity. 

However  a couple of weeks ago, I treated myself. Mrs S said its a hairdressers car  and one of my colleagues thinks I'm having a midlife crisis.  I like it, though. 225bhp quattro, in good order with a decent wedge of history.  Coupke of niggles to sort, and those wherls need to be painted, but otherwise not bad.

Bonus green liquid Citroen licker reg number! 

20200906_184059.jpg

• 5 months later...

Thread resurrection for 2021! 

I've finally sorted the turbo on the Astra, and should have it booked for test in the next few days.  Treated it to a wash and vac to get rid of the dust it's accumulated whilst sitting in my garage. 

20210208_160643.jpg

20210208_160634.jpg

If the Astra passes easily, Mrs S is having it back and we'll probably sell the Alfa. So I gave that a quick clean. Thank you to whoever suggested elbow grease for the wheels as they've come up really well. 

20210208_163320.jpg

20210208_163337.jpg

After finding this thread, andlooking at the dates, I realised I haven't bought a car in nearly six months. 

1/10 must try harder. Watch this space!  

• sporty-shite changed the title to Sportys new year in shit(e). 2021 update.
  • 1 month later...

Still no choice buying activity,  but a little bit of tinkering. After getting the Astra out of the garage, I decided to tackle that annoying eml on the TT. It scanned as post cat o2  sensor, so I thought I'd do that and five it a service. Ended up having to re tap the sensor insert but it's turned the light off, which is nice. Seems a bit better in fuel now, too . 

So I've been saying since I got the TT that I was going to get rid of the black wheels. Now, I've finally done it , and also treated it to a polish. 

Now I've got it something like how I wanted it, I'll probably end up selling it, mainly because I'm a bit of a dick like that! 

20210323_121343.jpg

20210323_121306.jpg

20210323_121256.jpg

• sporty-shite changed the title to Sportys shit(e). Minor update.
4 hours ago, outlaw118 said:

What paint did you use on TEHRIMZ, they look good!

It was this stuff. Bought from the local bodyshop suppliers. Went one easy and covered all four wheels with less than one tin. Finish is a bit matt, and itsa bit blighter than I would have liked, but all in all, I'm pleased how they've come out. 

20210323_190326.jpg

• 4 months later...

Small but relevant  TT update. 

Small annoying squeak from n/s front turned out to be a wheelbearing.  Ended up replacing with second hand hub . Whilst there, noticed two knackered CB boots  and a split bush that was advised last year. Did boots with stretchy replacements and put py bushes in the bottom arms on both sides  as they were cheaper than replacement arms  and easier to press in than standard bushes. 

It repaid itself by passing test with no advisories  which was nice. 

Still thinking of getting rid, but can't think of anything I really want that I can reasonably afford.  As ever, open to suggestions that could be bought with a TT and £500. 

• sporty-shite changed the title to Sportys shit(e). Another small bit of tinkering and MOT.