Vodka on Saturday resulting in car purchase and collection on Sunday morning

Peter C

It’s always interesting to speculate in situations like this was the seller ignorant and unaware of the issues or were they trying their luck; it’s a fair trek.

How did they react if or when you fed back your findings?

58 minutes ago, garethj said:

It gets you out of the house for a morning and we’ve all learned a bit more about cars.  That’s still a good result ?

I would agree with you if it weren’t for the fact that my polished up and garage dry 200E returned home absolutely fucking filthy. I’ve just spent over an hour getting it clean.

58 minutes ago, HMC said:

How did they react if or when you fed back your findings?

He didn’t say much. We shook hands, said good bye and left.
To be fair, the reported issues aside, it was a nice looking and driving car, especially if it could have been bought for sub £800.

I completely forgot to mention the paperwork issues!

The seller confirmed that the car comes with records of good service history and a wad of receipts.

The service book was last stamped in 2011 and the receipts were from a Chinese food wholesaler. The only documents relevant to the car were the logbook, which confirmed that before the seller the car had ten previous careful owners and the current test cert. Oh and the guy had just the one key.

25 minutes ago, Peter C said:

I completely forgot to mention the paperwork issues!

The seller confirmed that the car comes with records of good service history and a wad of receipts.

The service book was last stamped in 2011 and the receipts were from a Chinese food wholesaler. The only documents relevant to the car were the logbook, which confirmed that before the seller the car had ten previous careful owners and the current test cert. Oh and the guy had just the one key.

What a cock. To have nothing is one thing but to claim to have it is a shitty trick.

2 hours ago, vaughant said:

Stay away from the m52 engine (assuming that's what's in this) , it's a bag of shite. Well, when it gets old it is, the iron block 2.5 is a far better engine. 

Couldn't give a fuck what anyone says, my personal experience. 

Thats complete nonsense. You might have had some bad experiences with one but the M52, especially the pre-Tu (which this one wasn't) is rock solid and very well known to be.

Shame this one was junk though. Mayo on the oil cap wouldnt worry me around this time of the year, its perfectly normal on them when not driven much with these temperatures. If its visible on the dip stick things could look different but who knows. There are so many sub-1k E39 out there, including manual 528i, that its not worth risking it, especially if you don't have much experience with these cars. Coolant and simple oil leaks are easy fixes on the i6, anything major like a headgasket isnt obviously.

Those M-Paras look like cheap replicas btw.

Your BiL is good at dodging bullets.  He took a nasty.flesh wound on that Volvo but dodged the next bullet by getting rid.  My oh my, did the next owner have some grief getting it sorted.

the Beemer would have been alright if it was alright, but you gotta smile at the wad of paperwork 

looks like your BIL dodged another bullet.

5 hours ago, Steviemillar said:

I must be the only person on the world that hates E39s with a passion and I’m an obsessive BMW licker too......

Dont do it, you’ll thank me later 

Best car I've ever owned. And it was already old and high milage. What you not keen on about em?

8 minutes ago, Matty said:

Best car I've ever owned. And it was already old and high milage. What you not keen on about em?

I have owned three E39s, 528i saloon, M5 and Alpina V8 Touring all at different times, not together. They were all very needy and I seemed to never be clear of faults with any of them, no sooner had I fixed something, another issue would show itself. Maybe I just bought three lemons....I tried really hard to like them as every other E39 owner I know can’t fault the things but have ended up disliking them intensely. !
I am a 5 series perv having also owned an E28 and several E34s,. My present stable includes an E34 and E61.

Don't reckon your wrong actually. Just really liked mine (530i manual se). Always felt special and I'm a sucker for a big quick saloon. Did M5 not float your boat then?

E34s are nice I'll admit but I'd already missed the boat with them. Looked at a lovely 520i 34 in a metallic wired aqua marine colour with black leather before I bought the E39 but it was sooo slow which missed the point for me. Lovely noise though. Now an e28 or 34 with the 3 and a half litre in it ?. BMW eh, where'd it all go wrong....

Edited by Matty

25 minutes ago, Mudster said:

It wasn't mayo. Based on the receipts it was kung po chicken ?

If you could get a car that deposited kung po chicken as it went along, I would definitely buy one.