Jump to content
colc

At last..comfortableness..........

Recommended Posts

 In the past 18 months I've been through various amounts of decaying old shite, which have all had one thing in common.....the ability to send my back into spasms in pretty shorty order............there was this then this......followed by........and a few others............so I went and sat in a few......just picked up this...........sure, a bit "Miami Vice", but it's got a shed load of grunt, bizarrely economical for a V8, and very comfortable.........

7487B149-EABB-44B4-8445-F518AE8384AF.jpeg

9E233010-AAFD-4403-AE77-944C6369923D.jpeg

5C660E79-C7AD-4512-B10E-270482FAEA21.jpeg

31FC0AC5-FD98-471F-97A5-59E8D7D33E60.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All the above, excepting Firebird, obv,  , have all gone to new owners [inc Rover 90 with Merc diesel]..................uncomfortable [for me, anyway] is something I can no longer tolerate. It's very difficult to enjoy a car when the fucking thing is hell bent on destroying your crumbling vertebra

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, colc said:

All the above, excepting Firebird, obv,  , have all gone to new owners [inc Rover 90 with Merc diesel]..................uncomfortable [for me, anyway] is something I can no longer tolerate. It's very difficult to enjoy a car when the fucking thing is hell bent on destroying your crumbling vertebra

Never buy a mk4 astra sport. It made me cry. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kowalski said:

That Peugeot in Autoshite colours is an interesting looking car! What's the story on that?

Caused an absolute shit storm on here last year..........old 403 with Golf 1.8t running gear...................converted to fwd............in fairness, I was talked into it, and it did work pretty well, but, in hindsight I wish I'd stuck to my guns, and stuck with rwd...........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s strange how some cars are so comfortable and others get it so wrong.

A Volvo 740 was fantastic for me; the seat had great support and the armrest and steering wheel were in exactly the right place.  There was someone working for Volvo in the ‘80s and he was exactly the same shape as me.

Tell us about the Firebird?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, colc said:

Caused an absolute shit storm on here last year..........old 403 with Golf 1.8t running gear...................converted to fwd............in fairness, I was talked into it, and it did work pretty well, but, in hindsight I wish I'd stuck to my guns, and stuck with rwd...........

I'm not suprised, poor car! Oh well each to their own I suppose. Did it drive well though? What was the legality of that, did it end up on a Q plate!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, New POD said:

Never buy a mk4 astra sport. It made me cry. 

I’m not the only one then. Mrs Sutty had a mk4 Astra sport and that would have me in tears within a mile of our house, crippling back pain. Hateful thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, carlo said:

That 403 looks pretty cool actually

And was deader than disco when colc took it on and rebuilt it into this. Loads of people moaned like fuck and gave him abuse but no one offered to buy it and sympathetically restore it to original 🙄 

I think it looks cool as well!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Firebird with V8 LT1 engine ......about 320 bhp. At 70, it's ticking over at about 1850 rpm.........Has a few issues,   ABS light on, central locking doesn't, cruise control doesn't either........but...great service history, no rust, and non leaking T tops.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, paulplom said:

Yes vauxhall's reliability record can do that do a man.

I had 2 faults in 12 months. 

The original fuel filter rusted through and petrol leaked out. and the coil pack was the cause of a misfire. 

It was the combination of rock.hard seats, and hard suspension and low profile tyres 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont care what everyone says, I think the 4th gen F-bodies are fantastic looking cars. And even when they were brand new you simply couldnt get more performance for your buck. Nearly limitless upgrade opportunities as well with the LT1 and LS1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, colc said:

Firebird with V8 LT1 engine ......about 320 bhp. At 70, it's ticking over at about 1850 rpm.........Has a few issues,   ABS light on, central locking doesn't, cruise control doesn't either........but...great service history, no rust, and non leaking T tops.....

When you sort the ABS the cruise will probably start working again, I had a Chrysler 300C that used to get dirt on the wheel sensor thing for the ABS, first I usually knew about it was that the cruise would switch off. Probably just as well because it meant I sorted it straightaway, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered. Especially as the traction control went as well- " Biggest mk2 Escort in the World" as a mate put it after being a passenger in the rain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

When you sort the ABS the cruise will probably start working again, I had a Chrysler 300C that used to get dirt on the wheel sensor thing for the ABS, first I usually knew about it was that the cruise would switch off. Probably just as well because it meant I sorted it straightaway, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered. Especially as the traction control went as well- " Biggest mk2 Escort in the World" as a mate put it after being a passenger in the rain.

Thanks for that...useful to know

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This has got my attention. Very interested in how you get on with this.

Is it seat  / driving position comfort or ride comfort as well? Any good for tall arthritics to do 2000 miles in a week? 

Trying to be realistic rather than fantastic about cars for once, and  this generation of Firebird / Camaro has got on the list of possible replacements for my (tiny, bouncy, but comfortable-ish Honda Insight), as a better DIY proposition than a ten year old CLK or Legend Coupe. 

I already have a White linen suit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ABS light has fixed itself.................ref Asimo's query................yup, I find the driving position excellent, I'm 63, 6 ft, 15 stone, and with a dodgy lower back, and I find them fine.Ride is firm, but not stupidly so. Don't discount the V6 models, they're great cruisers, and pretty economical. I drove one from Calais to Brest last year, pretty much non stop, and it was fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...