Collected / Almera nonexciting progress and cleanup thread - MOT Fail joy

pauldoubleyou

Changed ownership online as I forgot you could do it nowadays, just ordered up a strut - it’s at work so I can’t look but does the drop link connect to the strut or the lower arm?

Out of routine now I always buy one when doing a strut as they never EVER come off when I need them to.

Steering wheel was immaculate underneath, and it’s an S.

What in the name of god is a curry hook?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 1/17/2020 at 4:57 PM, pauldoubleyou said:

What in the name of god is a curry hook?

It's on the passenger side of the front console. I used it a few times to hang my bags of chinese takeaways from. As @big_al_granvia says, I was jonny no mates on those occasions . :mellow:

The N15 Almera was praised for having excellent rear legroom but suffered with a small boot. The N16 managed to completely reverse that situation. :lol:

Can anyone please confirm that the front roll bar drop link bolts to the lower arm and not the strut?

I’ve ordered a strut a strut and ideally I might change it in the car park at work, then book a test in to drive it back legally.

I just don’t wanna get caught out with a rusted in drop link and no ability to grind it off. I also wanna get one bought but won’t be near the car till Wednesday to eyeball it.

6b37f44397bc237a34c7083c3373630e.jpg

Random google image states for the n16 it’s a stumpy one from the bar to the lower arm..

I realise this is incredibly lazy but it’s gonna save me three days

Quick blast of the works pitiful jet wash and it’s out in the open. Front drivers spring is well and truly snapped, and I’d like to say the 1.5 was spirited but..

89c8e974499ac30795f75123d9d799d0.jpg4efa9cffa07ba40271c3e6f0384313b0.jpg7becdbb34bea1ce7a627df0c8b6ca32e.jpgcca2f8de2242cd846ffc4af655d2ede7.jpg9b5a9279e9204a8cde6d1846d58949ca.jpg

53bf56791fc83f230666d35da008fad8.jpg

156a6e73c18a3b75b52ef9d56ffeb65c.jpg

Just needs a proper valet and a wash, there is evidence someone has polished it on the lights and some black trim so it’s been looked after in the past. No knocks or bangs except the spring and the EML is still on. Gonna take it home later this week.

Not sure if this warrants a progress thread but here goes. Drove it home today and found the faults that need sorting, only minor tbh:

Radio doesn’t work

N/s wheel bearing loud

Spring knackered

Aerial missing

Sluggish at lower revs

Eml on

Minging cleanliness wise

I’m gonna punt a guess at the eml being the maf which looks crusty. Might get away with a scan with my Bluetooth obd tool but won’t hold my breath, it’s always hit or miss

Cracked on with the strut, I get the Impression every bolt is gonna put up a fight. No M12s in the garage so gotta wait till tomorrow to button it up.

36979e2b0dff96e373cc09105ca6abd9.jpg

e7f87c34a2b2ddcdcf45ae1f25ba1b80.jpg

Buttoned the fuse box back up and refitted the charged Halfords battery, nice to have a newish battery for once

03853a5bd82e4efde8bb488c5f7e95a9.jpg

Aux belt clearly ready to unleash so at £5 delivered it’s a no brainier

84b5ca319eaab08f08466daac5511828.jpg

You can see here the level of grime attached to this thing. I’m hoping a good wash and jet down, maybe with a snow foam along with some clay at action will bring it back up.

193fa5b52cbbaf37ee36627d8e8458b4.jpg

And for the purists, before I remove it as I physically hate dealer stickers

a36230cf17bc95212a179412e77c56c1.jpg

MOT booked next Wednesday

I owned one of these for eight years, covering around 130k in it, reliability was great, never once let me down in that time and mainly just needed the usual stuff that wears out, although it did have the front crossmember replaced due to rot, not uncommon on these. I think the timing chain and gearbox troubles were sorted by the time mine and yours were made, certainly I had no such problems. Nice enough to drive, just no-frills transport which was no doubt what Nissan intended it to be, silver the best colour as you never need to clean it and it'll still look OK. I sold it for a future round the oval as with 170k on the clock and I'm ashamed to say a less than religious servicing routine, it had started to burn a fair bit of oil, but still ran and drove fine. and even scraped an MoT like that. I'm sure yours will serve you well. 

almera.jpg

You know what after my previous efforts at a cheap runabout it wouldn’t suprise me if it is. I presume that’s bad.

It’s a bit sluggish at low revs and classically that’s usually the MAF I’ve found.

I’ve got a code reader at a mates so we will see. I had another one of them Bluetooth / Torque efforts that usually hit or miss but I can’t find it anywhere.

It’s currently sat outside full of shake and vac (to put the freshness back).

I’m very tempted to just run about in it instead of flipping it, as you say it does car very well.

Often they’ll put the camshaft sensor fault code about when in fact the timing chain has stretched. 
Hopefully not that as I say. They’re brilliant at AN CAR. 

I’ve only spent £20 on it so far in order to change the strut. Now you’ve said that I won’t be spending anymore till I’ve scanned it!

Interestingly you are supposed to be able to do ye olde paperclip trick in the obd port but mine doesn’t seem to be obd2.

Just a result of a quick google, it was common on bubble rovers where you could bridge two pins on the obd port and the eml would flash the fault codes. Was hopeful after I saw a few posts on the owners club but seemingly doesn’t apply to mine.

I’m sure my vagcom cable has obd2 ability actually thinking about it. That’s tomorrow’s job after i hoover a full jar of shakenvac up

Can I bet £5 that it is? Sorry, I still hate these after mine.

You’d have lost a fiver, two codes - thermostat (presume temp sensor?) and an unknown one. Cleared and never came back. Super happy as I was massively expecting that cam sensor code.

Found a local lad on Facebook and he did it on the drive for a tenner