Solent Eddyfest/Cannock: ON again, Happening!

eddyramrod

It didn't happen last year because I wasn't fit enough.  This year, and on the wave of having done Inverness for Christmas, I'm feeling up to a south-coast trip again.  This of course means there will be the usual Shiters' lunch meet at the burger van on Portsdown Hill, most likely on Wednesday May 13th.  I'll be in the wheelchair bus, sorry; MrsR has vetoed taking Hairy Pussy even before I've got it home.

We will also be stopping each way at a Travelodge or Premier Inn somewhere in the Midlands, so there might be an opportunity for a Midlands Massiv Meet too.  Or even two of them!  It worked well enough at Cumbernauld!

Can I get the parking spot furthest from the bogs for the Portsdown meetup please? As my wife had just produced Offspring #2 last time you were down it was the most fleeting of fleeting visits, would be good to have a bit more of a chinwag with fellow shiters? I'll book the afternoon off in anticipation of a meetup around 2pm?

When I've actually booked the overnights I'll let you know, but the routine will be the same as it was in Volvoland.  Show up at the motel reception and ask for Mr Rafter, and either the receptionist will let me know you've arrived, or she'll send you over to the nearest dining establishment where we can have good craic for hours.  For simplicity we'll most likely book the same venue both ways.

• 4 weeks later...

I have this morning booked the overnights, which for convenience are going to be at Cannock South, both ways.  Postcode is WS11 1SJ, and the dates are Sunday May 10th and Friday May 15th.  Any Shiter who cares to turn up around 7/7.30pm will be welcomed!

As they will at the burger van on Portsdown Hill, which will most likely be on the Wednesday (13th).  If that changes I'll let you know.  That'll be 12 noon.

• 1 month later...

I need to concur with @Nyphur here. I’m hoping that by the end of May this hoo-hah will have peaked, it’s been a while since I met with some fellow shiters (Egg’s impromptu gathering in Lewes I think) aside from stanky pliggimg his laptop into my now ex-floaty ex cpjtservices saab.

@eddyramrod please don’t put yourself in an at risk situation if we’re not all clear by the time of your proposed gathering. I’s rather shake hands with other members as opposed to us all sitting in our various shouting a conversation across a field/car park.

On 3/22/2020 at 2:31 AM, dozeydustman said:

@eddyramrod please don’t put yourself in an at risk situation if we’re not all clear by the time of your proposed gathering.

Oh don't worry, I have no intention of doing that!  It'll only go ahead if we are getting back to normality, whatever that is.

8 weeks, 12 weeks.... who really knows?  At the moment our destination and staging post are open, and given that it's a trip specifically to spend time with family, it seems at least possible.  I'm definitely keeping an eye on the situation though.  If I do have to call it all off, you'll know, don't worry.

I concur with the others on this Eddy, I don’t think it’ll be happening by May. I think the place will be in shit street and/or lockdown by then.

We were supposed to be going up to Yorkshire this weekend to see my uncle and auntie but chose not to go. It just seems daft to risk spreading this virus around or risk getting it yourself.

Better stay safe and make plans for next year I think.

That might be how it works out.  I have no intention of taking silly chances - you would go a long, long way to find anyone more risk-averse than me! - but while the bookings are still in place it's still happening.  If I'm notified of hitches with our bookings though, then it's all off.