Volvo Antique Hauler - getting a bit tyred

Saabnut

5 minutes ago, GeordieInExile said:

I love how huge these look while not actually being that big, thanks to the shortest set of doors ever fitted to a car.

But it's really easy to enter the interior.. i found them better than a lot of bigger doors...deceptive really

Thanks all. Surprisingly this is the first Volvo I have actually owned apart from a brief foray with a 740 Turbo track hack and yes it is a 2.3

I needed to move it today to get the TDi Disco into the shed, but I could not leave the telephone until after a work call, so it was nearly 2pm by the time I went out. Swapped the battery for a less shagged one and it started easily, first turn. A quick look around shows the interior to be good and needing nothing, but the rear 6 inches of both sills have rotted away. No time to investigate today but I am hopeful I can do a temporary* bodge repair for now by welding new metal at the back rather than replacing the sills just now. Moving it showed the same problem I had yesterday, when cold it appears to briefly loose drive in reverse, but soon comes back and then seems to be OK. I think a fluid change is the first port of call there as it has 140k miles on it and I doubt it has ever been changed.

Once moved I got the Disco in, boost pressure sensor changed but still not boosting yet. I am beginning to suspect an air leak so will need to investigate further but when it is not blowing a gale so I can hear what is going on. By this time it was dark, so back inside for tea. I doubt I will have much time for car playing over the next couple of days as I have a couple of interviews (via Skype - ooh look at me joining the 20th century at last :-) ) and I really need to see if I can get the old Deemster motorbike started, at least I have charged the (new) battery ready.

A day basically wasted today as waiting on possible work calls, but it was blowing a gale and raining so not a lot lost. Volvo started first try again today, so the omens are good! Whilst waiting on calls I entertained* myself by scouring gumtree - I have to be really bored to do this, but today was worthwhile as I found some tyres locally at a good price. The advert was a week old and not expecting much, I sent an enquiry which was rapidly and coherrently answered and after Norway closed for the day so no more phone calls, I went to see them. As a result I now have 4 matching Dunlops, in the correct size which have covered a few hundred miles and have a manufacture date of July 2017, and all for £150. Cheaper than the cheapest Chinese Death Rings I could find so very happy with that! I will not fit them until the MOT work has been done so they are nice and fresh for the test.

Nice one.  Still feel that I really should try one of these one day having been a Saab guy since before I could drive.  Do kind of wonder if that might be what eventually takes over from the Xantia one day.  Ticks the boxes for roomy, practical, low stress to drive and supremely comfortable as I recall.

Also often found with heated seats which my sometimes bad tempered spine appreciates.