Saabnut

Volvo Antique Hauler - getting a bit tyred

51 minutes ago, stuboy said:

why was it parked up?

The PO became ill but kept the car for when he recovered. He had a leg amputated, but still kept the car for when he recovered as it was an auto. He is now in a hospice and his wife wanted rid....

10 hours ago, Schaefft said:

It would be hard for me to resist the urge to polish this, it'd look like brand new.

Agree - I’d be one of those wronguns who would polish the hell out of it too 

5 minutes ago, GeordieInExile said:

I love how huge these look while not actually being that big, thanks to the shortest set of doors ever fitted to a car.

But it's really easy to enter the interior.. i found them better than a lot of bigger doors...deceptive really

Thanks all. Surprisingly this is the first Volvo I have actually owned apart from a brief foray with a 740 Turbo track hack and yes it is a 2.3

I needed to move it today to get the TDi Disco into the shed, but I could not leave the telephone until after a work call, so it was nearly 2pm by the time I went out. Swapped the battery for a less shagged one and it started easily, first turn. A quick look around shows the interior to be good and needing nothing, but the rear 6 inches of both sills have rotted away. No time to investigate today but I am hopeful I can do a temporary* bodge repair for now by welding new metal at the back rather than replacing the sills just now. Moving it showed the same problem I had yesterday, when cold it appears to briefly loose drive in reverse, but soon comes back and then seems to be OK. I think a fluid change is the first port of call there as it has 140k miles on it and I doubt it has ever been changed.

Once moved I got the Disco in, boost pressure sensor changed but still not boosting yet. I am beginning to suspect an air leak so will need to investigate further but when it is not blowing a gale so I can hear what is going on. By this time it was dark, so back inside for tea. I doubt I will have much time for car playing over the next couple of days as I have a couple of interviews (via Skype - ooh look at me joining the 20th century at last :-) ) and I really need to see if I can get the old Deemster motorbike started, at least I have charged the (new) battery ready.

25 minutes ago, hairnet said:

nick - did you enquire about the other saab in the pictures...........

All the Saabs in the pictures already belong to me! No, I don't* have a problem

6 minutes ago, Saabnut said:

All the Saabs in the pictures already belong to me! No, I don't* have a problem

oh didnt see it was your place i only saw the yellow 96

didnt notice the day van..........

facepalm etc :D

A day basically wasted today as waiting on possible work calls, but it was blowing a gale and raining so not a lot lost. Volvo started first try again today, so the omens are good! Whilst waiting on calls I entertained* myself by scouring gumtree - I have to be really bored to do this, but today was worthwhile as I found some tyres locally at a good price. The advert was a week old and not expecting much, I sent an enquiry which was rapidly and coherrently answered and after Norway closed for the day so no more phone calls, I went to see them. As a result I now have 4 matching Dunlops, in the correct size which have covered a few hundred miles and have a manufacture date of July 2017, and all for £150. Cheaper than the cheapest Chinese Death Rings I could find so very happy with that! I will not fit them until the MOT work has been done so they are nice and fresh for the test.

Nice one.  Still feel that I really should try one of these one day having been a Saab guy since before I could drive.  Do kind of wonder if that might be what eventually takes over from the Xantia one day.  Ticks the boxes for roomy, practical, low stress to drive and supremely comfortable as I recall.

Also often found with heated seats which my sometimes bad tempered spine appreciates.

My uncle was a manager at John Wallwork Volvo Liverpool when I was younger, he had a brand spanker one of these every few months and I had the pleasure of many a long journey in the boot of them, he then moved on to top spec 740 and 760 turbo's ...... be still my beating heart 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Zelandeth
      Well I've been meaning to sign up here in forever, but kept forgetting. Thanks to someone over on another forum I frequent poking me about it recently the subject was forced back into my very brief attention span for long enough to get me to act on the instruction.

I figure that my little varied fleet might bring you lot some amusement...

So...we've got:

1993 Lada Riva 1.5E Estate (now fuel injected, as I reckon the later cars should have been from the factory...).
      1989 Saab 900i Automatic.
      1987 Skoda 120LX 21st Anniversary Special Edition.
      1985 Sinclair C5.
      2009 Peugeot 107 Verve.

Now getting the photos together has taken me far longer than I'd expected...so you're gonna get a couple of photos of each car for now, and I'll come back with some more information tomorrow when I've got a bit more time...

Firstly...The Lada. Before anyone asks - in response to the single question I get asked about this car: No, it is not for sale. Took me 13 years and my father's inheritance to find the thing.

Yes, it's got the usual rusty wings...Hoping that will be resolved in the next couple of months.

Next, a proper old Saab. One of the very last 8 valve cars apparently, and all the better for it. I've driven two 16v autos and they were horrible - the auto box works sooooo much better with the torque curve of the 8 valve engine. Just wish it had an overdrive for motorway cruising...

Next up a *real* Skoda...back when they put the engine where it belongs, right out the back. In the best possible colour of course...eye-searingly bright orange.

Seat covers have been added since that photo was taken as it suffers from the usual rotting seat cloth problem that affects virtually all Estelles.

Then we have possibly the world's scruffiest Sinclair C5...

Realised when looking for this that I really need to get some more photos of the thing...I use it often enough after all! We have a dog who's half husky, so this is a really good way of getting him some exercise.

Finally - again, I really need to take more photos of - we have the little Pug 107.

Included for the sake of variety even if it's a bit mainstream! First (and probably to be the only) new car I've bought, and has been a cracking little motor and has asked for very little in return for putting up with nearly three years of Oxford-Milton Keynes commuter traffic, before finally escaping that fate when my housemate moved to a new job. Now it doesn't do many miles and is my default car for "when I've managed to break everything else."

I'll fill in some more details tomorrow - I warn you though that I do tend to ramble...
    • By dome
      This evening I venture forth into hitherto unknown lands (Kirkintilloch) to collect my latest acquisition.

Which, naturally, has issues.

I have purchased my first line of defence.

Which appears to have antigravity properties

More will follow this evening...
    • By Broadsword
      I think the Broadsword fleet has become sufficiently complicated to merit a combined thread so that gradually all new additions will appear in one place.

As of Sunday 17th March the situation is interesting.

Two Citoren Xantias (remember the white Xantia of Excellence is for sale people!)
      http://autoshite.com/topic/34699-w-reg-citroen-xantia-20-hdi-xantia-of-excellence-%C2%A3999/
      http://autoshite.com/topic/34596-citroen-xantia-double-madness-rust/page-2

A turquoise XJR6 pending overdue-collection (need that gone now!)
      http://autoshite.com/topic/34003-jaguar-xjr6-double-madness-double-sold

An XJS 3.6 manual project which will get in high gear soonish. Wont be a keeper but will be fun getting it back to something presentable. Drivers fantastic!
      http://autoshite.com/topic/34664-jaguar-xjs-36-manual

A Range Rover P38, which is turning out to be really rather good.

And to mix things up even more I'm off on a collection caper today. Had first refusal on it and was expecting it to come around in a year, but things soon changed and no way was I going to pass up on it. It may well render the second Xantia redundant as I've got a really good feeling about this motor.

In the meantime here are some snaps of the Range Rover. As usual it was a car I said I would probably never buy due to their reliability*. I have said the same of Jag XJR, XJS, XK8 and I have had all of those now. Basically the moment I declare buying a particular car is impractical or improbable, I end up buying one.

Things to note on the P38. It's a nice colour with tidy body. The EAS has been removed. It runs and drives lovely and it doesn't have enough electrical problems to hinder progress. The main one is the driver's side window not working, but that should be fixable. I've tried changing the outstation, that didn't fix it. Might be wiring under the seat. Other than that I bought it and took it for an MOT the very next day, and it passed. Since then it had what seemed like a battery drain, but since unplugging the RF thingy for the remote locking and putting on a proper lead-acid battery, which the car can actually charge, unlike the modern lead-calcium batteries, it has been perfect. I will treat it to a full service soon.

Stay tuned for the latest collection later today!

• By cobblers
      Train tickets booked from a train station 30 miles away to save £9 on the recommendation of the Mrs
      Mrs booked and primed ready to drop me off at said train station.

Mobile tool kit primed and ready, missing almost every vital component due to EU regulations about leccy tape and screwdrivers on trains (I left them all at my mums house yesterday).
      If I do break down, I should have something to listen to while I work out whether I'm with the AA or RAC or none of the above.

Not pictured: pile of cash