jamiechod

Jamie's mondeo shenanigans.. 3rd mondeo of 2020

Check the EGR boost pipe that goes into the intercooler, they’re prone for splitting causing smoke. Done a fair few of them in the past. I love Mk3s and for 360 you got a bargain. Especially a titanium X. Enjoy it, lovely motors and fairly easy to work on. 

2 hours ago, Rave said:

That is an amazing amount of car for £360. I really rate the Mk3; they have gone from being everywhere a couple of years ago to being noticeably thinned out now. I guess coming from a CTR the handling might feel a bit ponderous but IMO these handle amazingly well, or at least mine does- the steering's great, it grips well, and the extra weight of the estate tail hanging out the back seems to counteract understeer, sling it into an empty roundabout and it performs neat four wheel drifts. Mine's an ex-cop 3.0 V6 and may have some sort of sporty suspension upgrade from memory, don't think I can get into Ford ETIS to check any more.

Thanks! It really is a lot of car and after covering some miles in it now it does actually handle pretty well for a big bus, its certainly better than the vectra Sri I had earlier in the year 😊

1 hour ago, sutty2006 said:

Check the EGR boost pipe that goes into the intercooler, they’re prone for splitting causing smoke. Done a fair few of them in the past. I love Mk3s and for 360 you got a bargain. Especially a titanium X. Enjoy it, lovely motors and fairly easy to work on. 

Great will do thanks for the advice! Indeed I was shocked no one else bid it up to be fair just need this wheel bearing sorting ASAP! 

2 minutes ago, jamiechod said:

Great will do thanks for the advice! Indeed I was shocked no one else bid it up to be fair just need this wheel bearing sorting ASAP! 

Aye those wheel bearings are fairly easy to do, you’ll need a T50/55 torx socket to remove it, I ground mine down to fit through the hole in the hub but it was a phat socket to begin with. Buy a decent one as cheap bearings tend to last 6 months or so. 

Just now, sutty2006 said:

Aye those wheel bearings are fairly easy to do, you’ll need a T50/55 torx socket to remove it, I ground mine down to fit through the hole in the hub but it was a phat socket to begin with. Buy a decent one as cheap bearings tend to last 6 months or so. 

6 months? With my track record I'll be impressed if I still have it in March 😂 trying to keep costs as low as possible so I'll just be chucking a £25 ebay special on it 😁

If it starts becoming hard to turn over and the starter sounds lazy at any time during ownership, it will be filling with DMF swarf.

Cleaning out the starter prolongs the life.

11 minutes ago, overrun said:

If it starts becoming hard to turn over and the starter sounds lazy at any time during ownership, it will be filling with DMF swarf.

Cleaning out the starter prolongs the life.

No it sounds really healthy I'm pretty sure it's had a clutch and dmf as there is no rattle etc and the clutch bites dead low 😁

My tddi had a very quiet engine - much quieter than our PD passat. I liked the car very much but it was punted on when it developed a knock from the front suspension. Garages could find no fault but a bit of research showed the strut top bearings would cause the knocking but only genuine items would cure it. Too much work for me.

cheap chinese wheel bearing ordered - if it lasts 6 months so be it - its 4 months longer than i'll have the car anyway :D

Still enjoying the car though - the turbo has functioned perfectly since picking it up so i think that was a one off - fingers crossed! 

Cant wait to give it a good clean at the weekend though ,it is literally the most disgusting car ive ever had inside - finger nails/dead skin/STI central. 

A.PNG

On 1/12/2020 at 11:37 AM, jamiechod said:

Does anyone know how to get these roof bars off? Turnsd to unlock with the key but can't fathom how to remove 

IMG_20200112_113658.jpg

They look like the Briko ones - turn the key and then a size 5? Allen key into the hole on the outside and loosen. Two of the 4 have a lock.

On 1/11/2020 at 11:53 PM, LabRat said:

I had an 04 tdci 130 for 6 months as a stopgap, ran lovely considering it had 260000 on the clock. Watch them for shitting injectors- fault codes a plenty and the dmf likes to break up, it'll struggle to start as bits of flywheel gets in the starter and it'll knock like a bastard at idle.

The smoke could just be down to being stood- give it an Italian tune up and see what happens.

Your bang on with the injector issue. 

I have just been looking through the history and every year its had a bottle of injector cleaner ran through it for its mot. The car when sat stationary and revved hesitates until 2500 rpm and then revs cleanly. 

Defo has a poorly injector but its driving fine albeit I'm having to change down from 6th on the motorway if I want to do an over take as its sat in that 1200-1400 rpm hesitation /flat spot. 

They spent over a grand on it in the last year with new springs new EGR new boost pipes and think the injector faults made them shit themselves and get rid, if it carries on driving the way it does it wouldn't bother me as I can quite comfortably drive around it. 

DMF and Injector issues aside, I think these are under rated hacks.

Mate at work has one, of which I keep leaning on him to flog it to me when he gets bored of it.

When you're done - I'll grab two random numbers for the roffle :) haha.

4 hours ago, jamiechod said:

Your bang on with the injector issue. 

I have just been looking through the history and every year its had a bottle of injector cleaner ran through it for its mot. The car when sat stationary and revved hesitates until 2500 rpm and then revs cleanly. 

Defo has a poorly injector but its driving fine albeit I'm having to change down from 6th on the motorway if I want to do an over take as its sat in that 1200-1400 rpm hesitation /flat spot. 

They spent over a grand on it in the last year with new springs new EGR new boost pipes and think the injector faults made them shit themselves and get rid, if it carries on driving the way it does it wouldn't bother me as I can quite comfortably drive around it. 

THIS is my case in point every time someone goes ‘don’t scrap a good car’.

Anyway, all isn’t lost, get a copy of Forscan and recalibrate the injectors. These have a set number of ‘fires’ if you like, once the injectors wear they become out of spec and give the above faults. Deleting the injector codes and reinputting them (correctly) can for a period of time improve issues. But ultimately it’s new injector time or play the gamble of a used one for £30-40 or so. 

Were it me I’d say limp it along with the smoke for as long as possible, chuck a can of BG244 to get it through the test then first sign of major expense give it a one way ticket. You should at least see your money back this way as they break quite well, reckon on a few quid for the calipers each, the seats, EGR etc. All piss easy jobs to take out and flog when it shits itself. 

Just now, jamiechod said:

Running total for mondeo

£360 car

£26 bearing 

£9 mats 

£40 to fit bearing

£40 Sony head unit 

£5 new wiper blades 

Total £480

That's a lot of car for not a lot of money!

5 minutes ago, sierraman said:

What happened with the caliper? Carrier bolts seized on? 

Yeah me trying to undo em with a box end spanner just undid the handbrake assembly and did em with a socket

1 hour ago, jamiechod said:

Yeah me trying to undo em with a box end spanner just undid the handbrake assembly and did em with a socket

Impact gun all the way on those. Worth having some Freeze spray in for jobs like that where heat isn’t suitable, spray it on takes it to -45deg, leave it a minute or two then they should* undo.