jamiechod

Jamie's mondeo shenanigans.. 3rd mondeo of 2020

So today I went to birmingam and picked up the mk3 mondeo I won on ebay

Was a horrible journey to a terrible place but picking it up I stupidly didn't test drive it.. 

I drove off, and the turbo didn't kick in and as soon as I got up to 30mph the wheel bearing at the rear was humming its tits off, now I do have to realise I paid 360 quid for a car that was advertised as spares or repairs so I couldn't complain. 

It does drive really well, I turned it off and turned it off again and it started fine and the turbo kicked in and it goes like fuck! Owner said it had be parked up for 2 months and everr since the turbo has kicked un spot on. 

The gearbox is lovely clutch is light and it has ALL the options, heated and cooled electric leather, xenons, folding mirrors and a Sony radio which is in the boot in bits, I am going to get the wheel bearing done as the noise in unbearable (shame it wasn't mentioned in the ad but never mind) then just clean it and use it for moving house. It actually drives lovely and handles terribly, coming from a civic type R I was disappointed but that to be expected. 

I shall update when I've had it valeted and cleaned inside I do appreciate it's a 360 quid car 

Update roffle time 

Car has new wheel bearing new wipers new stereo all stuff works in the car 

Drives well could probably do with an injector sooner or later but drives fine

IMG_20200118_123228.jpg

IMG_20200118_123218.jpg

IMG_20200118_123237.jpg

IMG_20200117_145548.jpg

IMG_20200117_145437.jpg

IMG_20200118_123208.jpg

2 minutes ago, junkyarddog said:

Was never a fan of the mk3,but the estate version looks good.

Rear wheel bearings are easy enough to change.

That's good to know is it a ssperate thing where its bolt on item or do I have to fuck around with bearing pullers etc? 

2 minutes ago, Lankytim said:

I've done a rear bearing on an X type and it was easy, it howled it's tits off but didn't have any discernable play. Well boughted.

Thanks for the info. Really want to do it ASAP as it's the only thing that bothers me about the car it smokes like fuck but no boost leaks as it doesn't hiss but must have some fault somewhere 

I had an 04 tdci 130 for 6 months as a stopgap, ran lovely considering it had 260000 on the clock. Watch them for shitting injectors- fault codes a plenty and the dmf likes to break up, it'll struggle to start as bits of flywheel gets in the starter and it'll knock like a bastard at idle.

The smoke could just be down to being stood- give it an Italian tune up and see what happens.

Same spec as the one I owned, albeit mine was a hatch. You are missing the DVD player with headrest screens (I had that) and the touch screen nav/HVAC (I didn't have that). So not that you probably care, but you haven't got all the options lol.

Rear bearings are nowt. Get some deep torx bits, then it's four bolts and the ABS sensor.

2 minutes ago, LabRat said:

I had an 04 tdci 130 for 6 months as a stopgap, ran lovely considering it had 260000 on the clock. Watch them for shitting injectors- fault codes a plenty and the dmf likes to break up, it'll struggle to start as bits of flywheel gets in the starter and it'll knock like a bastard at idle.

The smoke could just be down to being stood- give it an Italian tune up and see what happens.

I think it's had a clutch and dmf as it's only done 125k and and the bite is right at the bottom its got no judder or not rattle, but I feel the injectors could be the source of the smoking maybe? Ether way I don't really care aslong as it helps me move house and doesn't shit itself in the 6 weeks I have it 

3 minutes ago, LabRat said:

The smoke could just be down to being stoo

1 minute ago, overrun said:

Same spec as the one I owned, albeit mine was a hatch. You are missing the DVD player with headrest screens (I had that) and the touch screen nav/HVAC (I didn't have that). So not that you probably care, but you haven't got all the options lol.

Yeah sorry I didn't mean it had everything but it has the xenons over standard which is nice! 

4 minutes ago, jamiechod said:

Yeah sorry I didn't mean it had everything but it has the xenons over standard which is nice! 

Haha I know, mate. Cooled seats are nice to see at that age, also. My mate had a dark green estate Ghia X with full tan leather, and his cooled seats were way more effective than the half leather/Alcantara in mine.
What's in yours?

Piss easy to have the mirrors fold when you lock/unlock the car, too. A handy visual reminder as to your security status on a car as much as anything, I find.

Rear bearings easy job, the genuine SKF or FAG bearings are expensive (£75++) so just chuck the cheap ones on. Check the rear caliper when you take it off, prone to sticking/leaking. 

The temperamental turbo is a worry. I’m assuming it’s the 130bhp 2.0, could well be the actuator sticking. Right at the top of the turbo there is a lever poking down, make sure it’s going the full distance. The actuator frequently bakes itself from the heat or burns out from the VNT clogging which if I’m honest is probably the issue here. Some have drilled and tapped a hole in the turbo to stick some Mr Muscle in, forget any of these so called ‘turbo cleaners’ they are a bit like putting out Vesuvius with a fire extinguisher.

Check the recent history as well for injector recalibration, I’ll run through that tomorrow when I’m less pissed. 

7 hours ago, sierraman said:

Rear bearings easy job, the genuine SKF or FAG bearings are expensive (£75++) so just chuck the cheap ones on. Check the rear caliper when you take it off, prone to sticking/leaking. 

The temperamental turbo is a worry. I’m assuming it’s the 130bhp 2.0, could well be the actuator sticking. Right at the top of the turbo there is a lever poking down, make sure it’s going the full distance. The actuator frequently bakes itself from the heat or burns out from the VNT clogging which if I’m honest is probably the issue here. Some have drilled and tapped a hole in the turbo to stick some Mr Muscle in, forget any of these so called ‘turbo cleaners’ they are a bit like putting out Vesuvius with a fire extinguisher.

Check the recent history as well for injector recalibration, I’ll run through that tomorrow when I’m less pissed. 

Thanks, I had a sticking actuator on my 320d which I fixed myself so assumed it would be something like that if it ever stops fucking raining ill take a look but fingers crossed because it was stood for a while hopefully that was the issue. I will see what it's like today when I'm sober enough to drive. 

Rrsallt need to sort that bearing though, driveway job? 

Is it still smoking like George Peppard? 

Signs the actuators fucked will be when you really boot it, it will go into limp cock mode. These had an overboost facility on them, the vanes stick then the car wonders what’s going on and the flashing glow plug light of doom comes on. Worth checking the hose that runs up to the EGR for splits. Might as well clean the EGR out while your at it. Unlike the earlier ones you cannot block the EGR on these, you can restrict it with a plate. 

2 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Is it still smoking like George Peppard? 

Signs the actuators fucked will be when you really boot it, it will go into limp cock mode. These had an overboost facility on them, the vanes stick then the car wonders what’s going on and the flashing glow plug light of doom comes on. Worth checking the hose that runs up to the EGR for splits. Might as well clean the EGR out while your at it. Unlike the earlier ones you cannot block the EGR on these, you can restrict it with a plate. 

It still smokes like fuck but it's never gone into limp mode or had any rubbing faults, so I just honestly think it's just because it was sat kicked it head in this morning even at WOT there's no hesitation or limp mode 

nice looking estate..

had a 2002 LX that i fitted leather alloys updated dash and one or two other things into..

2nd for Italian tune up..they dont like being plodded about.. had mine up to 77Mpg on a trip to Wales...still miss it but too low for me and my arthritis!!

That is an amazing amount of car for £360. I really rate the Mk3; they have gone from being everywhere a couple of years ago to being noticeably thinned out now. I guess coming from a CTR the handling might feel a bit ponderous but IMO these handle amazingly well, or at least mine does- the steering's great, it grips well, and the extra weight of the estate tail hanging out the back seems to counteract understeer, sling it into an empty roundabout and it performs neat four wheel drifts. Mine's an ex-cop 3.0 V6 and may have some sort of sporty suspension upgrade from memory, don't think I can get into Ford ETIS to check any more.