New Year and one leaves the collection

Saabnut

I was going to post this last weekend, but a tractor/phone cable incident meant I had no phone or internet for the last 4 days! Still, back up and running now......

As I may have said, repeatedly for the last few years, I really need to reduce the collection of shite. 2019 saw the shite count increase, so that went well*. In December I decided to try again and advertised (again) the second longest resident of my collection. Purchased in 1996, it went to a professional* restorer early in 1997, and was returned in bits and with many items missing a couple of years later. This car, a 1933 BSA 10hp Peerless Coupe has resided in my shed ever since, whilst I tried to get some enthusiasm to do something with it.

IMG_2468.thumb.JPG.04eb0d424205bf7b04119c42a0af10c9.JPG

In December I finally admitted to myself it was not going to happen so it was advertised and a deal was struck with a buyer near Stroud. Part of the deal was I would deliver it, so I decided to combine the trip south with my New Year celebrations at a friends near Sheffield. The BSA was loaded, along with some spares, into my friends plant trailer and the interior and more delicate bits went into the Saab 9-5 estate. The journey to Sheffield was a joy with empty roads and fine weather (leaving at 1am on the 31st December may have had a bit of an effect on this) and no problems encountered. Photos taken near Sheffield as it was dark before leaving:

972700824_IMG_02241.thumb.JPG.68503abe8913323c152cc8f934efd62d.JPG

1195688568_IMG_02261.thumb.JPG.d33c6b594bc5657c6c87d2d2ac7d0c3b.JPG

819632388_IMG_02281.thumb.JPG.97de71fb3b45549772d894f8c16c6585.JPG

It may* be noted that the Saab was well loaded, but the delivery was completed without problems. The BSA now resides in a garage in good company, including a Porsche, a Morris, a pre war Austin and not one, but TWO pre war Bugattis! The Saab was faultless, and completed the round trip of over 900 miles at an average of 33.6mpg. Happy with that.

The space in the shed has already been filled, as the Cobra has returned and I have managed to get my c900 Saab convertible back under cover for the rest of the winter.  But, for the first time in years, the collection has reduced in the current year and we are over a week in! There is the possibility of a collection this weekend, but I will deal with that when it happens :-) For now, I will be getting the next one ready to leave!