MGF: the shiter's choice of budget roadsters

djoptix

59 minutes ago, skattrd said:

I think I'd prefer one of these to a mx5 ….. I've never driven one, so am guessing they're a decent steer, and the engines are certainly more interesting than the ones in the Mazda.

The driving position is terrible IMO. You sit on them, not in them.

I think I'd prefer one of these to a mx5 ….. I've never driven one, so am guessing they're a decent steer, and the engines are certainly more interesting than the ones in the Mazda.
Tried a modified one from HMC. Flipping quick but you sit really high in them, I even stuck lowering springs in the seats which made a bit of difference. Mx5 is miles better for driving really, even if a 1.6 engine doesn't meet a tickled vvc.

4 hours ago, djoptix said:

I wouldn't say terrible but you're right that it's too high. I'm thinking about addressing that somehow.

Is there much scope for lowering the driving position? Guess it would mean aftermarket seats/rails.

It would be cool if you can improve on it. ??

4 hours ago, snagglepuss said:
12 hours ago, skattrd said:

Tried a modified one from HMC. Flipping quick but you sit really high in them, I even stuck lowering springs in the seats which made a bit of difference. Mx5 is miles better for driving really, even if a 1.6 engine doesn't meet a tickled vvc.

I can’t get excited over the VVC engine either, personally.

I drove Jim Bell’s and it felt flat to me. It sounded like Chewbaca though, so there’s that going for it.

I have driven various NA and NB MX-5’s and find them so much more engaging and interesting to drive.

I have some buckets that could go in it. I'm considering hard mounting them with some adapting plates, to get maximum drop. This is mainly a track/fun car so I'm not too worried about losing a bit of comfort.

I've been driving it for a couple of days, certainly seems good. Definitely goes better above 4k than my last VVC and the engine has belt/pumps/HG history so I'm hopeful that the engine is a keeper, perhaps for the Missile Metro project. The hard top definitely makes it a little more civilised, although the HRW isn't connected up yet. It also helps with scuttle shake.

Also of note is that this has a fierce heater. I had no hesitation driving with the top down in the cold January weather for the full MX5esque experience, sans the bland misery that would be a part of your typical MX5 outing.  :D

12 hours ago, Stinkwheel said:

If the engine is lined up for the missile metro project, will the hardtop be for sale?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely, in fact it's basically for sale now as long as the soft top is OK (I haven't had a chance to properly check yet). 

• 4 months later...

Thread resurrection. This sat around for a while with me not driving it a great deal while the weather was shit in Feb. Then lockdown happened so I didn't reinsure it in March.

Now the weather is great and I need to take the Saab off the road for a week or two to fit a bigger turbo so I've reinsured this. Since there's a bit of interest here in MGFs at the moment I thought I'd post a few updates. I've sold the hardtop. Insurance was £290 for the year on a 2000 mile limited policy with 1 year NCB and all mods declared (induction kit, steering wheel, exhaust, seats).

I haven't actually done all those mods yet (apart from the stainless exhaust which I was very happy to discover on the car after I'd bought it) so the first thing was the vital* job of fitting a new steering wheel. It's on a snap-off boss which is good partly because it's a theft deterrent (though I very much doubt it would get stolen, it's been unlocked since January and nobody's taken an interest yet) but also because it moves the wheel a couple of inches closer which gets it out of the way of my knees.

IMG_20200606_140624.thumb.jpg.6e0baddcc3f952151745c635e5d63dc3.jpg

Next job: induction kit.

IMG_20200606_141144.thumb.jpg.0abe7ef26a3f0fbab33acaad3077d65e.jpg

On 6/8/2020 at 1:20 AM, Carlosfandango said:

I’ve just managed to ‘acquire’ one of these (see news 24hr thread) so am curious to see your progress. Looks like a nice one. Did you drop the seats down yet? 

CFD

Not yet - I'm hoping to go and pick up my "spare" bucket seats tonight and then I can start looking into it. Ideally, I'd like to adapt the frames off the existing seats, so I don't need to make any changes to the floor and so on. I seem to remember that one of the mounting points is not vertical.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I was going to fit the induction kit but there were more pressing matters. Neither the wipers nor the screenwash worked.

I checked the fuse for the wipers and it was OK, The fact that both had gone wrong made me wonder if it was the stalk, but thankfully I decided to look at the washer first. It turned out to be an easy fix. The pump is a push-fit down into the tank, obviously near the bottom, and it had worked its way out, thereby letting all the water out as well. I took it off, tested it, put it back and refilled the reservoir - success.

The wipers were a bit trickier. There was no movement whatsoever. I turned them "on" and after a bit of poking about I could hear an occasional forlorn click from near the motor, but nothing else. Then I noticed the motor housing was getting a bit hot. So I removed it and:

image.thumb.png.c8cdbed92c048dc89ce7142398a1e70f.png

Yuk. It's all full of ming. The rotor itself wasn't looking too happy either.

image.thumb.png.c5ae88b40e6fcc80e98e92350ddbd4e6.png

Clearly it hasn't been happy for a while and I thought I was going to be looking for a new rotor. The rotor itself wouldn't even turn by hand until I really turned it hard... then suddenly it freed off! So I reckon the gearbox, such as it is, has also suffered from water ingress. I'll have to strip it down...

I cleaned up the housing, greased the bushing at the back, and reassembled. Normal* service was resumed - the "cat in pain" noise is factory fit...

• 1 month later...

Few minor jobs done the other day, mojo has been low.

No pictures with this update, what's the point of that eh??!

It started getting rather difficult to get into gear, and quickly became impossible. I drove the last couple of miles home without the use of the clutch. Checked the reservoir and the fluid level was very low - I'm guessing there's a weep somewhere and it just took in a bit of air. I bled it using my Eezibleed (money very well spent, buy one if you haven't got one) and normal service is resumed.

Since I had to take the air-filter-to-throttle-body hose off to reach the bleed nipple on the clutch slave cylinder, I decided to fit the new throttle body at the same time. There is a process to reset the throttle position sensor after doing this (turn the ignition on and then pump the throttle thirteen times whilst doing a special dance, or something) but it seems perfectly happy to run without this being done. The new throttle body is 52mm bore instead of 48mm. Annoyingly the bracket which holds the end of the throttle cable wasn't supplied with the new 52mm and the holes in the one from the 48mm didn't line up, so there was a bit of pillar drill/grinder action to get it to fit.

I'm not convinced that the bigger throttle body actually makes it any faster but I think it feels faster from above about 4.5k up to the redline. This one is definitely faster than my old one, and sounds much burblier as well thanks to the stainless back box.

So that's two problems solved. Unfortunately the wipers have stopped working again. I'm going to order a motor. I've sourced two seat bases as well, to mount the buckets to - just waiting for an evening when it's not raining and I have a bit of time...

I'm vaguely considering selling this to make space for a certain Renault 6, so if you fancy some hot MGF action, PM me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Holy thread resurrection!

I drove it for a while. Then I sold it to @Marm Toastsmith. Then I swapped my METAL guitar and amp with @Marm Toastsmith for it and got it back.

Haven't had any time to drive it for ages. Still vaguely planning to keep the engine for a Metro when the tin worm finally takes it... Which could be today as it's MOT day.

27 minutes ago, djoptix said:

It didn't go well.

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/results?registration=p430dpg

You're not wrong.

Time to find another home for the engine and part the rest out.

Getting a rusty one of these (is there any other kind?) through an MoT put me right off any desire to ever own one.

I've just been out fitting a new cat to my TF and they really are an arse to work on.  Threading the Lambda sensor down through non-existent spaces in the engine bay was particularly fun*.  I had to replace the front to rear coolant pipes on one of my Fs and that's not a job I want to undertake again either, at least not without access to a proper ramp.

On the subject of early F's - dont believe anyone who tells you that you cant change the gearbox with out totally removing the subframe, you can, its not exactly easy, but you can .

Shame about the rusty ness of yours djoptix, but it at least solves the what to do with it question

13 hours ago, N Dentressangle said:

Getting a rusty one of these (is there any other kind?) through an MoT put me right off any desire to ever own one

I have heard that view from many people and frankly I think it's a bit unfair. It's a 1996 car FFS, the vast majority of 1996 cars have rusted away completely by now, never mind parts bin specials chucked out by a dying British manufacturer.

Compare it to its contemporary MX5s and MR2s. Good luck finding one of those that hasn't been massively welded to keep it on the road this far!