Forgotten 70’s and 80’s Japs

sierraman

On 2/12/2020 at 11:31 AM, sierraman said:

Did they actually sell the 929 coupe in the U.K.? As in the funny looking one from about mid 80’s? 

My grandparents street always had loads of old batteredJapanese tin, the guy across the road had one of those 323’s with the round headlights in seventiestastic gold. 

post-4462-0-30413800-1437475656_thumb.jpg

post-4462-0-32398400-1437475693_thumb.jpg

post-4462-0-61349100-1437475723_thumb.jpg

post-4462-0-35504900-1437475757_thumb.jpg

post-4462-0-07073000-1437475815_thumb.jpg

post-4462-0-64228800-1437475862_thumb.jpg

post-4462-0-72818300-1437475907_thumb.jpg

post-4462-0-59201700-1437475936_thumb.jpg

post-4462-0-56393000-1437475966_thumb.jpg

post-4462-0-07698700-1437476007_thumb.jpg

I found one in the scrappies a few years back, bit of a mess but a very cool interior

(edit) just noticed this one is LHD 

6 hours ago, gtd2000 said:

Yeah Celeste 2000GT, was a pretty decent car overall.

I am truly jealous, the one I nearly bought belonged to mate who was a year older than me. I had been in it loads and learnt to drive in it on Asda car park. I have only seen one in the last twenty years, an immaculate red one owned from new by an elderly couple who were very surprised that I recognised it. I periodically look them up on eBay but they seem to have completely disappeared.

1 hour ago, Tamworthbay said:

I am truly jealous, the one I nearly bought belonged to mate who was a year older than me. I had been in it loads and learnt to drive in it on Asda car park. I have only seen one in the last twenty years, an immaculate red one owned from new by an elderly couple who were very surprised that I recognised it. I periodically look them up on eBay but they seem to have completely disappeared.

I was extremely lucky with mine, it was honestly in perfect condition and totally rust free.

When I bought mine, I was in the army and I'd returned to Germany from Canada (BATUS).

I'd actually seen the car advertised on the noticeboard at the Roundhouse (Bergen Hohne) before we went to Canada and was very pleased to see that it was still up for sale.

Turned out it was a female Major that owned the car and she only generally used it for trips back to Inverness, as she had a staff car. It looked in pretty poor condition with more green than silver and an interior covered in mildew!

I cleaned the car up myself and it honestly looked brand new. A few of my mates asked if I'd just bought a new car?

The Celeste was really just a Japanese Capri with more show than go but it was a lovely car to drive and proceeded pretty well on the Autobahn with an indicated 126MPH being the top speed. I'd regularly sit at an indicated 120MPH without any drama. 

The car was absolutely reliable but it definitely needed much better brakes, they were pitiful to be honest!

I had dreams of fitting a Starion engine but that was a simple pipe dream.

I did see one, for the first time in decades, last year at a garage in Longtown on the way to Carlisle on the A7. It was a green on,e with the earlier inverted L shaped lights.

Here's a few of the remaining pics that I have of it.

BullitLHSDiagonal.JPG

BullitRHSFront.JPG

BullitRHSRear.JPG

CelesteRear.JPG

CelesteRHSDiagonal.JPG

On route to Hannover.jpg

2 hours ago, Skut said:

My dad always stuck two sacks of gravel in the boot of ours in winter. Reckoned it helped with traction. 

The problem I had with traction was the Firestone Firehawks that were fitted to the car, they were horrific in damp/wet conditions.

Absolutely useless in snow!

On the plus side, they did manage 40,000 odd miles before replacement!

• 1 month later...

The bigger Japanese cars seemed look very American until the late 1980s,  though normally a few years  behind style wise.  The Datsun Gloria still had early 1970s coke bottle sides at the end of the decade.

Oddly most of the bigger Japanese cars weren’t sold in the USA at this time.

• 7 months later...
On 2/12/2020 at 9:08 AM, Austat said:

579040205_ScreenShot2020-02-12at8_05_57PM.thumb.png.0ca4b94de83cb29541755eae7566bc3b.png

Are there any Mazda 1800s left in the UK?

Apparently only two according to this advert:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-of-2-remaining/313360122231?hash=item48f5b80177:g:JpIAAOSwIy1f6Hgh

It seems Tadhg Tioger was correct with his reply below, although Alex Brooker may contest this claim:
Probably fewer than the fingers on one hand

Sorry for the late reply but have only just read this thread.

12 minutes ago, Shite Ron said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-of-2-remaining/313360122231?hash=item48f5b80177:g:JpIAAOSwIy1f6Hgh

It seems Tadhg Tioger was correct with his reply below, although Alex Brooker may contest this claim:

This would be the second one I believe, an earlier 1500 unless there's another 1800 variant:

1967 Mazda 1500.

2 minutes ago, Austat said:

This would be the second one I believe, an earlier 1500:

1967 Mazda 1500.

That looks really nice, I am surprised how stylish these are. Seventies Japanese cars never looked quite right to me but this is very nice. I had never heard of them until I saw the ebay one.

5 minutes ago, Shite Ron said:

That looks really nice, I am surprised how stylish these are. Seventies Japanese cars never looked quite right to me but this is very nice. I had never heard of them until I saw the ebay one.

There was a Beige one parked outside my primary school, I remember passing it a few times and I recall the paint was pealing off revealing that some of the panels where a pale pink colour. Not at the same spot nowadays but probably in a local garage since I last saw it around ten years ago.

2 hours ago, Austat said:

This would be the second one I believe, an earlier 1500 unless there's another 1800 variant:

1967 Mazda 1500.

More than a faint hint of Maserati Quattroporte/Lancia Flavia about that in my mind. Like it, and totally forgot they existed. WOnder if that guy near St Andrews has one decomposing in his extensive collection.............

2 hours ago, Shite Ron said:

“Recently been restored” = why it has high underseal tide marks on both front & rear valances...

My partner's Dad likes to talk about the 2.0 Mitsubishi (Lancer, I think) that he had in the early-90s.  Unfortunately got binned in an accident down some local lanes (I know the spot well) but he consistently talks about how good it was compared to most of the other cars he had.  I think his favourite was the G-Reg 3.0 (N/A) Alfa 164 but the Mitsubishi was right up there.

I quite fancy something like that...