Forgotten 70’s and 80’s Japs

sierraman

2 minutes ago, garbaldy said:

@TamworthbayThat's just the distributer drive and the mechanical fuel pump drive.

It does those roles as well but it’s described in Ford original engineering plans as acting as a balancer. I know it’s a weird one and not very commonly known as it performs multiple roles but it was changed in spec form the original to be much beefier. I have a book on the development of the Ford engines including the  pinto (I know I am a sad bastard) I will try and dig it out and put the pics up as it’s much easier to see the difference.

Yep, called the supershift, as fitted to the Cordia, Colt, Tredia etc

Mitsubishi_Supershift_001.thumb.jpeg.38fc740b4e1af12dafad59433ed5c652.jpeg

It gave you 6 speed as 1high was about 2 low and 3high was about 4 low if my memory serves me correctly , their argument was that the engine ran’ backwards’ so needed a shaft to reverse , why not make it sliding and have 2 cogs , reduc3d the number of cogs required over a 5 speed. Good fun , mine was Kermit green used as John Clark’s Spanish run around

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It gave you 6 speed as 1high was about 2 low and 3high was about 4 low if my memory serves me correctly , their argument was that the engine ran’ backwards’ so needed a shaft to reverse , why not make it sliding and have 2 cogs , reduc3d the number of cogs required over a 5 speed. Good fun , mine was Kermit green used as John Clark’s Spanish run around

This colour of green9722f57407c13c74a55d6c0d443b276e.jpg

2 hours ago, bunglebus said:

I saw a few oddities in Malta

35367347640_4eff962015_z.jpg

DSC_0206_zpsiq9ggbrh by RS, on Flickr

We got both the Isuzu Gemini and Aska in Ireland in the 80s/90s. 

I've posted it here before, but here is a Gemini in regular use near me:

48936343118_f750def21b_z.jpg

Still with its original owner and everything, its a delight.

An example of an Aska, heavily based on the Cavalier I think:

6871716361_9dfbebec38_z.jpg

On 1/7/2020 at 3:26 PM, treehugger said:

My cousin knew a banger driver who had one about 2 years ago? Yorkshire. Not sure if got raced or sold on for profit. Will ask.

Great thread, by the way.

Re the Debonair, this one got bangered in about 2004 or 05 at King's Lynn.

No photo description available.

For a long time there's been this odd period, between bona fide 60s and 70s "classics" and the late 80s/early 90s Jap/TurboNutter/Drifto/PlayStation, that seems to have been overshadowed by what came before and after and has quietly disappeared. 

I find it a little depressing to think even the Gran Turismo cars are getting really old and, while probably not forgotten, increasingly irrelevant.

94fa1f5b44d34f53873f23d25912627c.jpg

94347-42k-mile-1995-nissan-300zx-twin-tu

I love a z32 in black.

1 hour ago, The Vicar said:

We got both the Isuzu Gemini and Aska in Ireland in the 80s/90s. 

I've posted it here before, but here is a Gemini in regular use near me:

48936343118_f750def21b_z.jpg

Still with its original owner and everything, its a delight.

An example of an Aska, heavily based on the Cavalier I think:

6871716361_9dfbebec38_z.jpg

Mk1 Aska used the GM J-platform used by the Holden Camira and Opel Ascona/Vauxhall Cavalier

Mk2 Aska was a Subaru Legacy

4091627945_99c48976a9_b.jpg

Mk3 Aska was a JDM Honda Accord

70004036423019040100100.jpg

Neighbours of ours when I was a child had, I thought, a Datsun 120Y, but looking at a few pictures I think it was more likely a Sunny. Either way, it was bright yellow. 

I must have been in it, but don't remember anything about it, unlike the noisy, smelly, uncomfortable Beetle it replaced. However, I do remember the owner's daughter once let me watch her have a piss in the woods.

N10-05.jpeg.ec4620e14402304f92b6e047f6f1412c.jpeg

6 hours ago, robinmasters said:

Neighbours of ours when I was a child had, I thought, a Datsun 120Y, but looking at a few pictures I think it was more likely a Sunny. Either way, it was bright yellow. 

I must have been in it, but don't remember anything about it, unlike the noisy, smelly, uncomfortable Beetle it replaced. However, I do remember the owner's daughter once let me watch her have a piss in the woods.

My mum had one of those in black, I can't remember it that well really, except I thought it looked pretty sporty. Reg was FEB535W I think. She also had the Cherry coupe that preceded it.

That story's made my day robinmasters.:-)

14 hours ago, robinmasters said:

You know there’s websites for that kind of thing?

7 hours ago, treehugger said:

October 2005, having checked wasted mag. I hear theres another one was imported and lives in Lincs.

Probably was absolutely rotten, Japanese tin from the 60’s and 70’s used to rot like old fruit. Could be wrong but the level of underbody protection on JDM cars isn’t great.

tC4vpm3.jpg

Slightly before 70s, the 1966 - 69 Colt 1000f.

Definitely classifies as long-forgotten. Interesting styling.  Available in the UK,  in Motor mag August 3rd 1968.

LI9uIvG.jpg

Also has a fab vid. With music.

Note, rear side windows hinged at the top, also 'hand-clap' windscreen wipers..