Forgotten 70’s and 80’s Japs

sierraman

I had a 73 Corolla in bright orange called ‘Cyril’. 

Last time I was in the UK I chased it back through the family I sold it to all the way through to the scrapper. I would love one again (but this time manual)!

Cost me £250 back in 87. Probably add a ‘1’ at the front and ‘0’ on the back these days. 

2 hours ago, Sir Snipes said:

People tend to remember the last "T" series Bluebirds when reminded but the poor, short-lived U11 less so;

MzMyZjYwOTY1NzM3ODY2MGJkOGUxYWJlMDllNTYy

As usual back then, the really interesting variants like the pillarless 4-door or the TwinCam Turbo SSS stayed at home.

Wasn't that shortlived as they never did a T12 estate. The estate used the U11 platform from 1984-1990

nissan-bluebird-2.0-gl-estate-car-petrol@2x.jpg

mum went from a vauxhall viva hc to a datsun cherry on a P plate, then a datsun sunny on a S plate, toyota starlet on a V then toyota carina on a Y... what i do remember of the early ones was that they were rusty within 2 years (okay we live right on the west coast of scotland), her 80's jap collection was rounded off by a 89 proton, in the 90's she had a 96 toyota corolla 3door sport (midlife crisis at 60 lol) and a 55 plate micra which she hated... aye jap family 

Obscure memories of an obscure television programme where an obscure Japanese car was mentioned.

I have a recollection of many years ago seeing something on telly where a copper was talking about solving a case where a child had been abducted. According to the copper the only thing they had to go on was what little the kid could remember about being bundled into the back of a car which had no rear doors, vinyl seats with funny stitching and wind up windows in the rear. The copper pointed out that it meant that it was clearly Japanese and could only be one car sold in Blighty. He named the car and said after that solving the case was a doddle.

What was the car? I cannot remember what it was and it's been sort of nagging for years and years for some reason.