Forgotten 70’s and 80’s Japs

sierraman

I still see those Galant around. Not often, but they're there. Along with Mazda 323F, Nissan Cedric and Gloria, Toyota KE70 Corolla, Subaru Legacy 1st Gen, Multiple types of Toyota Crown, Datsun 120Y, Lonsdale type Galant etc. etc.

It's what you don't see that's surprising. Almost no Starlet EP80, none Micra K11, maybe one Pulsar N12 in the entire country, very few Datsun 100a, maybe two Starions, etc. etc.

And we have more than 6 Toyota Bb Open Deck in the country. A supposedly unicorn car for the entire world.

1 hour ago, sierraman said:

Remember when Japan made really offbeat cars and offered them in the U.K. over the years where they failed miserably. Like the 1988 Mitsubishi Sapporo Galant. I can only ever recall seeing one once about 20 odd years ago. 

A0ACBC6F-8437-4E81-890E-FEEE7C7B961B.jpeg

I had one of these years ago and it was fuppin ace,  was a right thirsty old bus though.

I'll have to consult my little black book as I recon half of my list will be jap.

10 minutes ago, Skut said:

Parents had a Colt Celeste who were given it by my grandmother who bought it new. Much like this one. 

15026811301_07621f1dcb_b (1).jpg

I learnt to drive in a (Mitsubishi) Colt celeste on Asda car park in the late 80s. I very nearly bought it from my mate, thankfully my dad suggested we MoT it first and the list of corrosion was somewhat extensive. I have lusted after one ever since.

around the time a heater was an extra in an "english" car ,

but the Far east threw in a heater , radio , mats  for a cheaper  price .... 

rest is history

I saw a 120Y around Formby a while back , old dear , about 30K on the clock .  used it for the bingo run ..

No pictures of it but my dad had MSC765P, a Datsun 180B estate around 1989,i think he gave 200 quid for it with the vague idea of transferring the reg onto his 309 because those were his initials. That never happened but he used it for the few months' MOT it had then parked it on the front garden for a while. At nine years old I loved it, it was a faded orangey red with black vinyl seats (possibly half cloth, I can't remember) and had a wonderfully plastic/glue smell all its own. It went for scrap, possibly via the track, around 1992 or so and I don't think I've seen another since.