my £200 Rover 25

dieselnutjob

57 minutes ago, barefoot said:

Was that the seats or the ride or both?

Both, plenty of space, all the controls seemed to be just where I wanted them with good pedal spacing. I struggle in a lot of cars as I'm usually 18-20st, only 5'8 and with long arms and short legs! Ride always felt compliant too, not over stuff like most cars are now.

The factory way of doing a low coolant light is not possible (well not easily)

DSC_4721.JPG

Pin 16 of the connector is not populated.

I will just have to wire in parallel with one of the others.

I took the opportunity to do the Pektron SCU inversion mod:-

DSC_4722.JPG

the reason for turning it upside down is that a lot of these suffered from water getting through the bulkhead grommet, dripping down the loom and getting into the ECU.

Turning it upside down so that the wires go in from underneath stops that from ever happening.

Good call on up-ending the Pektron unit. However, it's the cheap relays within the unit which have a tendency to go pop, causing strange electronic things, such as non functioning or ever-present horns, no rear fog lights, dicey central locking etc etc. Also I would check the wiring loom which feeds down the driver's side of the boot hinge - there's usually some fraying action there which causes interesting weirdness with ensuing hilarity*.

CV boots and drop links tend to go for fun on these, and a job I need to do - just ordered some boots from these guys, https://www.jandrcvjoints.co.uk/ delivered in 2 days.

1 hour ago, clayts450 said:

Good call on up-ending the Pektron unit. However, it's the cheap relays within the unit which have a tendency to go pop, causing strange electronic things, such as non functioning or ever-present horns, no rear fog lights, dicey central locking etc etc. Also I would check the wiring loom which feeds down the driver's side of the boot hinge - there's usually some fraying action there which causes interesting weirdness with ensuing hilarity*.

CV boots and drop links tend to go for fun on these, and a job I need to do - just ordered some boots from these guys, https://www.jandrcvjoints.co.uk/ delivered in 2 days.

Relays can be replaced.  Water damage is not so easy.  It seems that everything works one mine.  That for the tip on the boot hinge.

Even when you have got the low coolant indicator it can be a bit of a pain. A corner taken too energetically in mine will slosh the coolant  around and the float jams at a lower position setting off the light even though its now submerged. Mines been illuminated for a month or so.

Your 25 is really quite nice. Does it have electric rear windows?

25 minutes ago, Skut said:

Even when you have got the low coolant indicator it can be a bit of a pain. A corner taken too energetically in mine will slosh the coolant  around and the float jams at a lower position setting off the light even though its now submerged. Mines been illuminated for a month or so.

Your 25 is really quite nice. Does it have electric rear windows?

Electric front

Electric sunroof

Front fogs

Electric adjustable mirrors

Keep fit rear windows

No A/C

Steering wheel stereo controls

Drove into Central London last night and it did well. The only fly in the ointment is that SWMBO says that it makes her sick. 

I think that this is because she is used to cars with soft suspension. 

My Jag has air suspension and I deliberately have one of the smaller wheel sizes on it, and her Freelander is fairly compliant too. 

The 25 isn't. You do feel every bump in it. 

Did they by any chance just put ZR suspension on everything on the later models? Is it because it's a 1.6? 

What would be the softest sprung 25 that I could look out for in a scrappy to steal the suspension from? 

Also I need to see what the tyre pressures are, they might be harder than necessary. 

anyone knows how Rover 200 R3 suspension compares with R25?  

This article https://www.aronline.co.uk/cars/rover/200-25/the-cars-rover-20025-and-mg-zr/ appears to suggest that the 25 got what was considered "sports" suspension on the R3 but as standard.

Maybe a set of R3 springs all round would give a softer ride?

Another thing on the to-do list is the clutch mechanism. The A40 went from three lanes to one on an uphill stretch last night that took about 20 minutes and it was purgatory. 

The clutch is quite heavy but I think that there is also a stiffness there as well. 

I need to take the pedal and release mechanism apart, free everything up, grease it and re-assemble. 

I believe that this car has the gearbox with Ford internals (the IB5). 

Progress this week:-

Fitted header tank with a level sensor in it but not wired it up yet.

Changed front discs and pads.  It seems slightly better but I suspect that the drums are not adjusting properly, the handbrake lever comes up very high and the pedal still has a slight movement before it does anything.  I checked the vacuum booster and it seems to work, but the brakes still don't have as much "bite" as I would like.  I guess some new fluid would be a good idea too.

Took the entire clutch release mechanism and pedal to bits.  Greased the cable and the pedal and worked some spray grease into the pivot on the gearbox.  I think that it is quite a bit nicer.

Figured out why the airbag warning light is on:-

DSC_4735.JPG

so it seems that the previous owner preferred the seats in this car to the ones in his new 200/25 and so swapped them.

The only problem is that the connectors are different.  He seems to have chopped the connectors off of his new car and put them in the glovebox so it shouldn't be too hard to sort out.

I'm now curious what seats this car is supposed to have.

I did this before with a friends Rover 45.  I added a tank from a runout model with a sensor and wired the sensor in parallel with the brake fluid sensor.  Therefore if the brake warning light comes on it means that you are either low of brake fluid OR coolant.
Yes the car has a MEMS3. Does that mean that there is a "proper" way to wire it in?

I think so yes, I’m sure they had a new warning light on the dash, and the plug may even be there in the loom but working it out is something I’ve never tried.

I noticed your post about the seats, what seats are in it now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 1/6/2020 at 7:51 PM, Isaac Hunt said:

The contents of the glovebox look like the under seat connections that control the SRS system.

there are two different types, yellow and blue.  One is early and the other late, but I can't remember which way around.

i 'happened across' a nice set of half leather Monaco stsyle seats when down the scrappy, so I them and changed the seats in ours.  It was at that point I came across the different colour connectors.  I just chopped the connects off and used chocky blocks.  The connectors are a known trouble spot causing the SRS light to display on the dash.

if you look under your front seats a, you may well find the connector she have been chopped out.

17 hours ago, dieselnutjob said:

Progress this week:-

Fitted header tank with a level sensor in it but not wired it up yet.

Changed front discs and pads.  It seems slightly better but I suspect that the drums are not adjusting properly, the handbrake lever comes up very high and the pedal still has a slight movement before it does anything.  I checked the vacuum booster and it seems to work, but the brakes still don't have as much "bite" as I would like.  I guess some new fluid would be a good idea too.

Took the entire clutch release mechanism and pedal to bits.  Greased the cable and the pedal and worked some spray grease into the pivot on the gearbox.  I think that it is quite a bit nicer.

Figured out why the airbag warning light is on:-

DSC_4735.JPG

so it seems that the previous owner preferred the seats in this car to the ones in his new 200/25 and so swapped them.

The only problem is that the connectors are different.  He seems to have chopped the connectors off of his new car and put them in the glovebox so it shouldn't be too hard to sort out.

I'm now curious what seats this car is supposed to have.

I'm gonna buy a lottery ticket