Citroen Visa Roffle - sdkrc has collected...

egg

11 minutes ago, sdkrc said:

43bhp feels like plenty

It's astonishing what old small cars could do with it.

The 750cc Panda has something like 35bhp as I recall, but it's still perfectly usable so long as you keep it singing along with the revs up.  Metro was about 40 as well and it could run shoulders just fine with other traffic, especially on a twisty road.

9 minutes ago, dozeydustman said:

Not worked on a Visa - is the engine in a subframe on these?

I know on some suitcase engine cars you can drop the oil and lower the transfer case side of the engine to gain access to the clutch

I don't believe you can change the clutch without taking the engine out.

My LNA 1124cc (same engine compartment and engine as the Visa) came with the engine in the boot because it had broken the splined collar that links the drop gears to the gearbox and we had to reassemble it as a unit before refitting it to the car.

P1010949 broad.jpg

P1030769 crop broad.jpg

On 1/24/2020 at 10:35 PM, Stinkwheel said:

The problem is, the absolute only engine that will fit in these is suitcases. So easiest is front subframe from 1219cc samba or visa and drop in a 5 speed BX 1360. Or a Renault/samba 1285 rally prepped engine.
With the 8 port head twin Weber’s and 1285 lump a 130bhp could be had. Yes, really. Can you image 130bhp in the visa emoji23.pngemoji23.png

Surely an xu engine will fit in there?

The suitcase engine when fitted to the Pug 205 has enough clearance between engine and inner wing to remove the transfer case and replace the clutch assembly in situ.

If i remember correctly from my days back in the late 80's at Rochester motor Co (Pugeot/Talbot dealer) the book time for a clutch change was 2.7 hours for a 205 whereas a Samba/104 was 6.4 hours.

I once spent most of a saturday changing a Samba clutch because it was really heavy and the bite point was a bit wooden only to find it was still the same afterwards.

It just needed a new clutch cable...

The moral of this story is check the clutch cable first as it runs across the front subframe very close to a hot exhaust manifold and is much cheaper and easier to replace than the clutch assembly.

19 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

I don't believe you can change the clutch without taking the engine out.

My LNA 1124cc (same engine compartment and engine as the Visa) came with the engine in the boot because it had broken the splined collar that links the drop gears to the gearbox and we had to reassemble it as a unit before refitting it to the car.

Apologies, I thought the Visa has a slightly wider engine bay as I remember it being more 205 sized tha 104/LNA/Samba size, the 205 being one of the cars you can drop the engine down on one side to change the clutch

Just now, dozeydustman said:

Apologies, I thought the Visa has a slightly wider engine bay as I remember it being more 205 sized tha 104/LNA/Samba size, the 205 being one of the cars you can drop the engine down on one side to change the clutch

I am not absolutely certain because it was already out, but it just looked like there was no room slid the gearbox over.

5 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Did they have to take the engine out or slid the gearbox over?

We just wipped the whole lot out in a oner with a tow rope and a trailer ramp as a Batton sat it on a stack of spare wheels right in front of the car and swapped clutch for a new one as I always carried plenty spares.

2 minutes ago, garbaldy said:

It's a piece of piss to take the engine out and the quoted 6.4 hours time will include the lunch break,   a group of competitors replaced the clutch between heats in a field when I raced a samba in autox and to top it off a couple of them where still happy when I beat them.

Yes you could beat the book time and earn a little bit of bonus on a Samba /104 clutch job.

Likewise the 205 change was a two and a bit hour task,the hardest bit was cleaning off the remains of the paper gasket from the transfer casing if it tore taking it off and couldn't be reused again.

Surely an xu engine will fit in there?

Nope. Different subframe and as said above by someone, the suspension turrets etc are narrower. Suitcase engine visas are not the same as diesels/c15’s or gti’s. Because Citroen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

48 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

I am not absolutely certain because it was already out, but it just looked like there was no room slid the gearbox over.

I have in the distant past pulled out the driveshafts and removed engine mountings to allow me to push the engine hard over against the n/s inner wing to get the transfer case/shaft to clear the o/s inner wing but alas it still needed a couple of more inches.

44 minutes ago, Joey spud said:

Yes you could beat the book time and earn a little bit of bonus on a Samba /104 clutch job.

Likewise the 205 change was a two and a bit hour task,the hardest bit was cleaning off the remains of the paper gasket from the transfer casing if it tore taking it off and couldn't be reused again.

I didnt exactly time it but 30 odd cars per heat  4 racing at a time and races lasted around 4 to 5 minutes with a bit of messing about between so not long at all,   that was a spanner and ratchet job so I bet with cordless windy gun these days could beat that time again.

Great little cars for sure and I went on to win second in class not at all bad for the minute budget I had.

9 hours ago, Joey spud said:

The moral of this story is check the clutch cable first as it runs across the front subframe very close to a hot exhaust manifold and is much cheaper and easier to replace than the clutch assembly.

I would absolutely agree with this. When I was running my Visa Decapotale back in the noughties it would regularly fry its clutch cables regardless of how many different variations of trying to shield or keep it out of harms way. The pedal boxes aren't the strongest either so check for any flexing or breakage from that area too. ☺️