Shitesteddfod: North Wales meet ups! Vaguely aiming for March…

Cord Fourteener

i was sat in the car pottering and chugga chugga chugga

then he tried again (i purposely didnt leave incase needed help)

dugga dugga - nowt

drove over 'is it ok''itll be flooded'

i only realise now that thats a massive pun i dont think was meant :D

hope its not too bad - hope the big yellow limo treats you right :D

9 minutes ago, Sunny Jim said:

Confirmed it's getting fuel to the carb and there's a spark but still the bugger won't start.

Looks like I'm going home on a tow truck.

Sorry to hear you are stuck! At least you had the option of tea and sandwiches etc. While waiting for the big yellow taxi.

1 hour ago, brownnova said:

The day dawned typically Welsh... a resounding Labour victory in the elections, horizontal rain, blustery wind and greyer than the slate of Blaenau Ffestiniog. It must be May.

The Denbigh Moors were bleak and devoid of colour, the wind hitting the slab sides of the Pontiac like waves hitting the hull of a ship. Standing water abounded, and the small river which flowed across the smooth snaking asphalt threatened to knock us off course. But none of this mattered, a shite meet had been agreed, and hell or high water we were meeting.

8AF4CFF3-3B54-4C06-B08F-3F07485640C4.jpeg

The rendezvous was a closed chocolate shop, nestled safely in a village that no mere Englishman could pronounce. 6 intrepid examples of chod and their occupants donned waterproof outfits, and huddles for warmth around a V8 engine. Hairnet demanded tea, so a cafe was sought, the rain meant the tea would never run dry. A small veranda provides shelter for about 2 at a time, with none of the men being gentleman enough to give way to the one lady present. But Mrs Eifion is clearly tougher than most of us. As are TimE’s kids, who ran through puddles and walked backwards up ramps for entertainment. 

As ever much talk of projects, purchases and genera fettling ensued, tea (or Lattes for the posh ones) were drunk, and it was genuinely great to see the local Shiters again. Looking forward to the next one already!!

126D04B3-4720-4AD2-BCCF-21183FE24CBF.jpeg9FC2489D-9068-4FCD-B40A-C597DA1737EF.jpeg46F60D99-5F08-4546-9918-A6FC74D7C5C0.jpeg

Excellent write-up good sir.

Indeed, I'm looking forwards to another. 

Get your diaries and calendars out, gents.

Great to meet you all today and I hope that Sunny Jim got/gets home OK. After we left the cafe we stuck with plan A and went over the Migneint road. The view was gr8 up there.

.IMAG9129.thumb.JPG.08f4af9a476fccb58671c2c403607134.JPG

We then stopped for an in-car picnic during which the windscreen steamed up to make for an ever better view.

IMAG0010.thumb.JPG.3b350a17eb3e9341ab81326a10263011.JPG

Home now and typically the sun has come out.

2 hours ago, Sunny Jim said:

Mat arrived in his wonderful sounding V8 in a cloud of steam but soon got his leaking hose sorted.

20210508_133200.thumb.jpg.849f27bb1ea5950f793bdbb600b941fe.jpg

Finished the journey in a cloud of steam too! (Sorry, not trying to outdo you Jim, hope you get back ok).

My engine cut out at Betws y Coed, popped the bonnet to find coolant everywhere, drenching the HT system. Once that had dried, I restarted to find a spray of coolant fierce enough to prevent me from actually seeing the source.

Allowed it to cool down and started topping up from the ample supplies of water all around me. But as fast as I filled, it just poured from the water pump. With the engine started however, the gush slowed to a trickle, although once temperature and pressure had built up again, it reverted to a spurt.

So the last 15 miles were with no cap, and plenty of topping up. It seemed rather apt that this was on my Facebook feed:

Screenshot_20210507-233154_Facebook.jpg

1 minute ago, mat_the_cat said:

20210508_133200.thumb.jpg.849f27bb1ea5950f793bdbb600b941fe.jpg

Finished the journey in a cloud of steam too! (Sorry, not trying to outdo you Jim, hope you get back ok).

My engine cut out at Betws y Coed, popped the bonnet to find coolant everywhere, drenching the HT system. Once that had dried, I restarted to find a spray of coolant fierce enough to prevent me from actually seeing the source.

Allowed it to cool down and started topping up from the ample supplies of water all around me. But as fast as I filled, it just poured from the water pump. With the engine started however, the gush slowed to a trickle, although once temperature and pressure had built up again, it reverted to a spurt.

So the last 15 miles were with no cap, and plenty of topping up. It seemed rather apt that this was on my Facebook feed:

Screenshot_20210507-233154_Facebook.jpg

How could you even value an engine-swapped Stella?

Glad you got home, I hope you get it sealed up and out on the road.

Got home half an hour ago. The recovery guy was with me by 3pm but didn't fill me with confidence when his first question was, "I don't suppose it's got anywhere to plug a code reader in?".

I told him that I'd taken the fuel line off the carb and confirmed it was getting fuel, earthed an HT lead off the engine with a screwdriver and seen it was getting spark and that the battery was a 12.8 and it was cranking fine but still not starting. "In that case I'm out of ideas," he replied. "You probably know more about it than I do, I'll go and get a tow truck."

535750366_IMG_20210508_1528031.thumb.jpg.393b2a37b23f7108ffb93889b7bae941.jpg

He was back half an hour later and we got the car loaded. I got him to take me to my work as I had to go in to sort out a problem with the fire alarm panel. (Fortunately an easy fix, just needed a reset  - there must have been a power cut).

I had another poke about the car but I'm still none the wiser. It started fine first thing this morning and again as we left the car park to head to the cafe. My best guess isn't that something has got wet. I pulled the black plug on top of the dizzy but the contacts were clean. I sprayed some WD40 in before reconnecting it but it made no difference. It cranks fine but there's not even  hint of it catching or coughing trying to start. I've got my first covid jab tomorrow morning so I really hope I don't have any side-effects as it'll be my only chance to work on the car on the last dry day before a forecast week of rain.

105439675_IMG_20210508_1657201.thumb.jpg.be505041aa11d3741a135377fbec3c00.jpg

6 minutes ago, Sunny Jim said:

Got home half an hour ago. The recovery guy was with me by 3pm but didn't fill me with confidence when his first question was, "I don't suppose it's got anywhere to plug a code reader in?".

I told him that I'd taken the fuel line off the carb and confirmed it was getting fuel, earthed an HT lead off the engine with a screwdriver and seen it was getting spark and that the battery was a 12.8 and it was cranking fine but still not starting. "In that case I'm out of ideas," he replied. "You probably know more about it than I do, I'll go and get a tow truck."

535750366_IMG_20210508_1528031.thumb.jpg.393b2a37b23f7108ffb93889b7bae941.jpg

He was back half an hour later and we got the car loaded. I got him to take me to my work as I had to go in to sort out a problem with the fire alarm panel. (Fortunately an easy fix, just needed a reset  - there must have been a power cut).

I had another poke about the car but I'm still none the wiser. It started fine first thing this morning and again as we left the car park to head to the cafe. My best guess isn't that something has got wet. I pulled the black plug on top of the dizzy but the contacts were clean. I sprayed some WD40 in before reconnecting it but it made no difference. It cranks fine but there's not even  hint of it catching or coughing trying to start. I've got my first covid jab tomorrow morning so I really hope I don't have any side-effects as it'll be my only chance to work on the car on the last dry day before a forecast week of rain.

105439675_IMG_20210508_1657201.thumb.jpg.be505041aa11d3741a135377fbec3c00.jpg

Good luck diagnosing it. I hope you get it running soon.

Not that I'm aware of - I've seen no signs of one (ordinary key, no button to press)  but not gone looking for one if you know what I mean. The car's at work and I'm home now but I'll hopefully get a chance to check properly tomorrow after my jab. Would the best way to check be by tracing the ignition wiring?

Thanks for the suggestion @richardmorris

1 hour ago, Sunny Jim said:

Not that I'm aware of - I've seen no signs of one (ordinary key, no button to press)  but not gone looking for one if you know what I mean. The car's at work and I'm home now but I'll hopefully get a chance to check properly tomorrow after my jab. Would the best way to check be by tracing the ignition wiring?

If you don’t have a fob thing then it’s probably not got one. Mine played up years ago after a spot of welding and so I just pulled it out. A thirty year old immobiliser is not going to be fun. 

Given the weather I’d suspect the distributor.  My friends e class merc would give a good spark on the king lead but nothing to the plugs. That was the distributor, cunningly placed ( like minis) right in front of the engine catching all the water.

5 hours ago, eifion said:

Great to meet you all today and I hope that Sunny Jim got/gets home OK. After we left the cafe we stuck with plan A and went over the Migneint road. The view was gr8 up there.

.IMAG9129.thumb.JPG.08f4af9a476fccb58671c2c403607134.JPG

We then stopped for an in-car picnic during which the windscreen steamed up to make for an ever better view.

IMAG0010.thumb.JPG.3b350a17eb3e9341ab81326a10263011.JPG

Home now and typically the sun has come out.

HOT CHEESE ACTION

3 hours ago, Sunny Jim said:

You have fuel, (presumably) compression, and a spark. So the question in my mind is, is the spark at the right time, and is it still sparking under compression? 

You can check both with a timing light clamped onto the HT lead(s). You may find that you get a strobe when in free air, but under compression the spark finds it harder to jump the gap, and takes an easier path via damp connections. Good luck!

• Cord Fourteener changed the title to Shiteisteddfod: date suggestions for next meeting please.
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That sounds like a plan - I'd be up for a monthly excursion to Mavericks. A weekday night might be tricky for some (especially those coming a distance) so maybe we should aim for a weekend meet up in September as well - perhaps on the 5th and we could have a Shitesteddfod cruise to the event at Bodrhyddan Hall?

4 minutes ago, brownnova said:

https://fb.me/e/TWENatXD

For reference this is the deets. 

10 minutes ago, brownnova said:

Now here’s a thought… do we make one Tuesday a month at Mavericks a regular Shitesteddfod meet? If they keep doing it weekly we could pick say the 2nd Tuesday in the month and do it regular?

Beth ydy dy farn di? 

Fy mharn i ydy hon, 

Tuesday is not the best night for me to go out just because ok work/kids etc but I might make it one or two evenings hopefully. So yes better than not trying!

I'm definitely up for a weekend date as suggested by Jim. 

Absolutely, I’ll likely suggest the 5th as a Chumley alternative as well. But thought a regular weeknight meet might work? We might even entice some over the border with the promise of pizza and alcohol free Brew Dog!

Be good to see if we can manage a Shitesteddfod weekend meet before September… 

Any is good for me, shall we go with the second as you suggested @brownnova unless another works better for @Cord Forteener aka Tim_E?

Just been checking the Bodrhyddan Hall event website for the show on 5th September, if we can get more than 5 of us interested we can go as a club and get in for a fiver:

"CLUBS

Please note, clubs that are wanting to be situated together at the venues and total more than 5 vehicles, we are asking for you to pre book to ensure we have the right space allocation.

To pre book please just ring our office on 01484 667776 or alternatively download a booking form from the website, complete and send to the office via email or post.

As a club you are still eligible to pay on the day we just need to know numbers for the allocation of space. 

The ON THE DAY PRICE will be £5.00 PER CLASSIC VEHICLE.

Customer MUST be in a classic vehicle for the special on the day price to be honoured. "

Who's up for that? I don't mind sorting the booking if I can have some names. @mat_the_cat, @hairnet, @eifion - anyone else?

2 minutes ago, brownnova said:

Absolutely, I’ll likely suggest the 5th as a Chumley alternative as well. But thought a regular weeknight meet might work? We might even entice some over the border with the promise of pizza and alcohol free Brew Dog!

Be good to see if we can manage a Shitesteddfod weekend meet before September… 

Pizza and free alcohol might be a better enticement but either way, yes.

Was it Asda or some such supermarket who tried to describe alcohol-free as 'alcohol di-dal'? 

For non Welsh speakers that means 'alcohol free of charge'.