Collection thread

wuvvum

52 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

I have a present for the Visa 10E, 60/55w Halogen bulbs that fit into the standard headlights!

Mine takes modern (h4?) bulbs. Used to take the older styleeee but I changed the units which I presume came off a C15. 

Well I changed one that was knackered, then realised the different bulbs so had to change the other too. 

Just had a cheeky little spin around the village in this courtesy hopefully of the owners, but thanks to Wuvvum for the opportunity to complete my Saturday with a drive in a Citroen Visa 10E.

fantastic little thing. The scariest brakes make for the most exciting drive.

hope the owners enjoy it.

7D0F78BE-E1E2-4C3D-850C-39E3A36F3D70.jpeg

Wow, that's a fair spread China Tom, I'll tap you up for food if I'm ever on a collection down that way!

I was waiting for a picture of Wuv to appear and I was fully expecting to say, 'you look nothing like the pic next to your name' but... You do, just not yellow!

Good work on the collection, it's been a long day but it looks like it's worth it. 

Edit: wait, does China Tom look like Hank Hill?

Well.

That was a long day.  17 hours after stepping out of the front door, I'm home.

I put £30 of unleaded in the car in Bournemouth, and according to the fuel gauge it's not quite used all of that on the run home.  By my calculation that means an average of 47.5 mpg - not bad for a 34-year-old car which has spent most of the day revving its nads off.

Clutch has a very high biting point and a horrible pedal action, but doesn't slip.  Gearbox is the usual vague suitcase job but does what it's supposed to do.  Engine sounds fine in the standard rather tappety way.  Brakes need an enormous shove but do work.

Things that don't work that I've discovered so far: heater blower, rear demister, light for the clock.  Also the intermittent wiper setting has an interesting quirk - because the wiper is so slow, sometimes the relay cuts the power before the wiper motor is fully off the park position, so it just stops 6 inches up the screen and you have to flick the wiper onto constant for a second to get it going again.  As previously intimated there's no heating to speak of, but once moving there's plenty of air coming through the vents to keep the screen demisted.  And the lighter socket works, which is handy.

I'll give it a more thorough going over tomorrow and take some more photos.  For all its quirks it's just driven 250 miles with no major hiccups which isn't bad going really.

Thanks to ChinaTom and Mrs ChinaTom for their hospitality and wonderful log fire (it's so nice to be able to feel one's extremities again), and to egg, loserone, spartacus, TheDoctor and Wingz123 for financing this slightly daft operation.

I'm now off to bed.

8 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

I have a present for the Visa 10E, 60/55w Halogen bulbs that fit into the standard headlights!

IMG_20200104_191858 broad.jpg

and probably of the same age as said Visa! there will be a date code 3 digit date code on the lamp, if you post it I can date the lamps to the month/year they where made :) 

the Wotan brand was used by Osram of Germany before they acquired the lighting division of Osram GEC of England in 1989ish so that already tells me they are pre 1989 :) 

they had to use an alternative name since GEC held the rights to the Osram name via a couple world wars in the UK so Osram of Germany had to use one of their alternative names when selling Lamps in the UK and its territories and so settled with Wotan, an amalgamation of the words wolfram (Tungsten) and tantalum both of which where metals used to make filaments used in lightbulbs

(for those wondering the name Osram comes from an amalgamation of the words Osmium and Wolfram again elements once used or are used to make filments)

given the vintage and slightly unusual branding of these lamps, id elect to preserve them rather then use them up!

(side note the picture looks familiar so excuse me if i have rambled on about this in the past!)

9 hours ago, wuvvum said:

D reg Citroëns

DSC_0750.thumb.JPG.777a7119e34d132563fbe2dcdd91996c.JPG

Lying in bed next to my whilst I view this thread on my phone, Imp Jr shouts "What's that?" I said its another Visa like Meg but he said "No that" pointing at the CX. 

"We should get one of them" 

"We're trying to get rid of cars not buy more" 

"Well if any of them break, we'll need another and you should buy one of them" 

Can't fault his logic there. 

This just reminded me, I was once driving the Visa Leader through Keighley and drove past a CX Leader going in the opposite direction. 

I now know they guy who was driving it (I didn't when it happened), he was importing old French cars at the time and he owned Meg at one point but it was an odd moment. 

10 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Also the intermittent wiper setting has an interesting quirk - because the wiper is so slow, sometimes the relay cuts the power before the wiper motor is fully off the park position,

Must be a citroen thing, if I flick my wiper to clear a bit of spray and it's not wet enough it gives up returning somewhere on the passenger side. Have to flick some screen wash up to glide it home

2 hours ago, HillmanImp said:

Lying in bed next to my whilst I view this thread on my phone, Imp Jr shouts "What's that?" I said its another Visa like Meg but he said "No that" pointing at the CX. 

I'm glad to hear that his taste in cars is better than his taste in Christmas hats.

This just reminded me, I was once driving the Visa Leader through Keighley and drove past a CX Leader going in the opposite direction. 
I now know they guy who was driving it (I didn't when it happened), he was importing old French cars at the time and he owned Meg at one point but it was an odd moment. 
Parenting goals for me, that!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Fabergé Greggs said:

Sorry for being slow here, but who actually owns this? 

12 hours ago, wuvvum said:

...  egg, loserone, spartacus, TheDoctor and Wingz123

But Wuvvum currently has custody if it as he kindly spent his time collecting. 

I believe we are going to roffle it soon and spread the love ?

Me, the doctor, egg, loser1 and wings123 each threw in some money.

Somehow wuvvum has ended up collecting it and presumably storing it for the short term at least.

I'm not sure what happens now, this is the first time I've jointly owned a car, that's at least 100 miles away from me, with four other people I've never met!

Edit, too slow on the reply but what Dr said.

5 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

and probably of the same age as said Visa! there will be a date code 3 digit date code on the lamp, if you post it I can date the lamps to the month/year they where made :)

The two bulb bases (not the glass) say 'w 466' on them. That's the only three digit code I can see.